1860VS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My Brain
Some say more offset can cause a case of the hooks. Others say more offset only leads to greater shot height. What do you believe offset does?

I'm not an expert in this stuff, but i've always found with my swing i actually hit clubs with more offset a bit straighter. If i play blades or small CBs with no or minimal offset i tend to naturally draw them a bit more.

This could also be a bit more related to spin characteristics too

I have no idea outside the idea that it helps high cappers. I don’t even understand the theory behind that.

I have no idea outside the idea that it helps high cappers. I don’t even understand the theory behind that.
Offset in theory gives you more time to close the club face. In the case of higher handicaps it probably preforms a function similar to moving the ball forward in the stance so you put a bit of a fade/straighter shot on the ball.

more time to close the face is the theory i think.

Getting the right grip, as far as a "strong", or "weak" grip, is the fix for most folks, who slice. The offset is a help in this regard. Getting the clubface square at impact, and swing path are the main causes of slicing. Offset is said to help with this...

Getting the right grip, as far as a "strong", or "weak" grip, is the fix for most folks, who slice. The offset is a help in this regard. Getting the clubface square at impact, and swing path are the main causes of slicing.

Sadly I'm a path person. Grip really only messes with my strike quality 😭

For me it's mainly looks. I am used to playing them but when others grab them they always say (damn these are offset), lol. Depending how you address the ball they can look slightly closed while other irons like my buddies T200 2021, they are less offset and look more open at address. I am assuming it's an optical illusion. but I am not really sure. One thing I have noticed for me personally, is that when I set up with my mavrik, my iron shaft is directly up and down over the head whereas if I play a better player's iron I usually set up with a little more shaft lean, the butt of the club pointing to my lead hip. Like how that hot metal is set up with shaft lean.

Callaway Mavrik Iron Review | Equipment Reviews | Today's Golfer

mizuno jpx 919 hot metal pro individual irons - OFF-61% >Free Delivery

Titleist T200 2021 Irons Review - Golfalot

For me it's mainly looks. I am used to playing them but when others grab them they always say (damn these are offset), lol. Depending how you address the ball they can look slightly closed while other irons like my buddies T200 2021, they are less offset and look more open at address. I am assuming it's an optical illusion. but I am not really sure. One thing I have noticed for me personally, is that when I set up with my mavrik, my iron shaft is directly up and down over the head whereas if I play a better player's iron I usually set up with a little more shaft lean, the butt of the club pointing to my lead hip. Like how that hot metal is set up with shaft lean.

Callaway Mavrik Iron Review | Equipment Reviews | Today's Golfer's Golfer

mizuno jpx 919 hot metal pro individual irons - OFF-61% >Free Delivery

Titleist T200 2021 Irons Review - Golfalot
Great visuals

It's for height. Bad swings cause hooks. Players with bad swings often blame their equipment.

For me the visual leads me to grip the club closed if I don’t pay very close attention and then the club looks open instead of square like it actually is. If I grip the club closed then the face is more closed at every point along the path so more likely to be a hook. Another problem for me is that on some clubs there is so much offset that gripping the club square looks open as all get out and my mind makes my hands get floppy to try to close the club face. That one is subconscious so some mental focus can help but that is not helpful when trying to swing free and easy.

More offset gives you more time to square up the club face. I grew up playing blades with little offset but I do now like a little more in my long irons than my shorter irons. Most golfers hit a fade and a little more offset can be a good thing. It doesn’t fix a bad swing and other thing like path and face angle at impact are the primary causes of a hook.

Offset helps with having the club face behind the hands at impact for those who struggle with this.

If you don't have a issue with this you will probably pull the ball.

For me the visual leads me to grip the club closed if I don’t pay very close attention and then the club looks open instead of square like it actually is. If I grip the club closed then the face is more closed at every point along the path so more likely to be a hook. Another problem for me is that on some clubs there is so much offset that gripping the club square looks open as all get out and my mind makes my hands get floppy to try to close the club face. That one is subconscious so some mental focus can help but that is not helpful when trying to swing free and easy.

I experienced a lot of this. Grip and shaft alignment at set up. I find when I have too much shaft lean, especially on my shorter ones I tend to hook the crap out of them, but if I set my shaft perpendicular I generally avoid the hooks.

I set up with all my irons like 5-iron photo. If I set up like that 9 iron photo with my 8,9, pw etc... I'll look the crap out of it.

Now if I play my buddies T 200 or some less offset clubs I can address the shorter ones with shaft lean.

Hands at Address | The Hackers Paradise

Path and face angle are the dominant factors determining ball flight. Offset may affect face angle slightly. In my mind, it is more of a factor in hand position and compressing the ball, but I am not an expert.

I think for some, offset is a visual that can impact the delivery, either positively or negatively.

For me it messes with my eyes and I hook everything.

The only offset club I've carried in the past 25 years was my Zevo hybrid. What I liked about it was the ease of hitting draws, but also the reliability of hitting fades. With the fade, I would just use a pronounced cut swing and the ball would have a tight fade.

Back