1860VS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My Brain
One of my leagues is on a beast of a course. 6857 yards (and that's not even the tips) 74.2 stroke rating, 139 slope.
For our fall shootout we are going to a much, much easier venue, 6167 yards, 68.6 - 115
We are carrying our league calculated handicap from one to the next, as is.
I finished the league playing to a 5.5, which is higher than any other league generated cap I have.
But at 63 I have a hard time with a couple of the par 4's, having to hit even a 5 wood into them when the wind is up.
Some of the bombers are hitting a 9I, even PW approach on 420 yard par fours when I am hitting a 7 or even a 6 in calm air.
I was shocked to find that a lot of the money on low net was on me. Guys seem to think I can whip some butt playing essentially pitch and putt golf.
But it seems to me the bombers still have a distinct advantage, even being able to reach some of the par 4's off the tee.
What do you think? Young Bombers of wily old fart?

Always comes down to whoever has the hot putter.

I’m in the wily old fart club so go kick their butts.

It's all over. Conditions were perfect for golf, and the course was in decent shape. I finished net +2 which put me in 4th place. I had a couple of hooked tee balls that hurt me, and some missed putts that put the nails in the coffin.

One of my leagues is on a beast of a course. 6857 yards (and that's not even the tips) 74.2 stroke rating, 139 slope.
For our fall shootout we are going to a much, much easier venue, 6167 yards, 68.6 - 115
We are carrying our league calculated handicap from one to the next, as is.
I finished the league playing to a 5.5, which is higher than any other league generated cap I have.
But at 63 I have a hard time with a couple of the par 4's, having to hit even a 5 wood into them when the wind is up.
Some of the bombers are hitting a 9I, even PW approach on 420 yard par fours when I am hitting a 7 or even a 6 in calm air.
I was shocked to find that a lot of the money on low net was on me. Guys seem to think I can whip some butt playing essentially pitch and putt golf.
But it seems to me the bombers still have a distinct advantage, even being able to reach some of the par 4's off the tee.
What do you think? Young Bombers of wily old fart?
I’d be in the old fox club. You don’t show your short wedge game skill when you’re hitting 7i and 5w. They’re still going to be pitching on those drivable par 4s.
I willing to bet the greens are a little smaller on the short course.

Last edited:
I look at things differently. The direct comparison of the two courses would dictate that the shorter course would deliver lower handicaps vs the other. For a 5.5 maybe your cap would only be 4. But for a 20 handicap their cap may be only 15. That differential points to the advantage on a net basis to the higher handicappers all things being equal. My money would be a one of those higher cappers regardless of age or low long they hit.

My regular crew wants a redo. We are headed back to the same course this morning to see if we can't properly whip this courses butt........
I cant decide if I want to be on the aggressive side, which can send me either very low or very high,
Or if I want to play for pars and let the birds fall as they may. I guess how my back feels actually swinging will dictate that by the 3rd hole.....
No range at this venue.

ENE winds today-8-10 mph. The majority of the holes run east-west. So when I am quartering back into it the wind should tame any left over hooks from yesterday....... and a big cut downwind should find short grass. Being 57* with a breeze, a cut should be easy for my old body, not getting through the ball is my cold weather move. LOL

Last edited:
At 5400 the slope at my home course is 127. Played a course the other day and at 6000 yards the slope was 141.

A 420 yard par 4 for me would be driver, 3-wood, wedge. At 63 hitting a driver 6/7-iron is impressive. (y)

At 5400 the slope at my home course is 127. Played a course the other day and at 6000 yards the slope was 141.

A 420 yard par 4 for me would be driver, 3-wood, wedge. At 63 hitting a driver 6/7-iron is impressive. (y)
I cant hit a 3 wood off the deck any more to save my life, but I am money with a 5 wood. It makes no sense, but I dont even bother any more. Haven't even hit one at Carls in 5 years.
I am blessed with good genes. Most people think I am in my late 40's or early 50's when they meet me. I am rounder than I used to be but still very thickly muscled. Shovels and sledges do that to you. LOL

EDIT: I was walking past the rack and an M-Craft 4 whispered in my ear that if I take it with me on a date today, it promises a Happy Ending. I love happy endings, so it gets some fresh air. I hope my M-Craft 3 doesn't get too jealous.

Last edited:
My regular crew wants a redo. We are headed back to the same course this morning to see if we can't properly whip this courses butt........
I cant decide if I want to be on the aggressive side, which can send me either very low or very high,
Or if I want to play for pars and let the birds fall as they may. I guess how my back feels actually swinging will dictate that by the 3rd hole.....
No range at this venue.

ENE winds today-8-10 mph. The majority of the holes run east-west. So when I am quartering back into it the wind should tame any left over hooks from yesterday....... and a big cut downwind should find short grass. Being 57* with a breeze, a cut should be easy for my old body, not getting through the ball is my cold weather move. LOL
I’ll be watching for your post round. What you chose & when you felt like you could be aggressive.

I played like garbage. Started out well, was 2 under standing on #7 tee, then some weird muscle under my left scapula started spasming. Started hitting a big banana slice off the tee, and that is just something I am not used to so I played hell compensating. Long story short, I played the last 12 in 11 over. I should have quit, but I'm too stubborn (read stupid) to quit. I am popping some muscle relaxers in a minute.....

Last edited:
Back