2012 Women's U.S. Open [Spoilers]

I took Nordqvist to win. But I take Anna to win everything. Just like Adam Scott on the PGA Tour. I suck at picking winners, needless to say.

Forgive my ignorance here, but does the Women's US Open usually play as hard as the men's? As in we are expecting a winner near par here?

Forgive my ignorance here, but does the Women's US Open usually play as hard as the men's? As in we are expecting a winner near par here?

From what I understand, yes. Which if I am not mistaken, and someone correct me if I am wrong, is why Yani has struggled in the Open, because fairways are at a premium and she can't rely solely on her length of the tee. Judging from the history of the tournament, it might just come down to the track they are playing on.

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventContent.aspx?id=21474844842

Thanks Jeff. It looks like the winning scores have been all over the place. Some quite low and some very high as well. I wonder how this one will play out.

Thanks Jeff. It looks like the winning scores have been all over the place. Some quite low and some very high as well. I wonder how this one will play out.

Judging from what I have seen regarding the 6 hour rounds, lets just be thankful they aren't playing Olympic Club 2012. We may have seen 8 hour rounds, a winning score of +30, and fans cutting themselves.

Judging from what I have seen regarding the 6 hour rounds, lets just be thankful they aren't playing Olympic Club 2012. We may have seen 8 hour rounds, a winning score of +30, and fans cutting themselves.

6 hour rounds? That's absurd!

BLACK WOLF RUN 25 min. down the road from here HOTTER THAN ALL HELL TODAY 103 could'nt get me out there for 6 hrs.

I love Dorothy Pepper. Did you hear her comments when informed Brittany Lang was only recently made aware no Duke grad had ever won on tour. She said, "Really? That's living with blinders on. That's one of the most well known facts about the LPGA." Or something to that effect.

Kevin

I'm a big fan of pepper on the mic. I think she always does a great job walking with the players on nbc's pga coverage

They stated numerous times during the broadcast today that the fairways are really wide and are not the difficult aspect of this course. Some of the fairways they were showing on tv looked wide enough to land an airplane on. I think the length is the biggest factor for the ladies, its the approach shots that are the problem. The last Open they played here was won with +6 but I think -6 will be the winning score this time around from the looks of it.

Apparently it's a continuing issue for the U.S. Women's Open - found this article from the Open at Oakmont (2010).

http://www.waggleroom.com/2010/7/10/1562998/slow-pokes-need-not-apply-for-the

You'd think the USGA could get a handle on this on both the men's and women's side, but they act like its harder than herding kittens. I get that the heat, the tv cameras, the whole "production" thing can slow things down, but I don't get not enforcing rules of play, whether it makes for "good tv" or not.

Slow play has plagued both tours so badly the last two years.

Yes, the USGA believes it should be the toughest test in golf.

They stated numerous times during the broadcast today that the fairways are really wide and are not the difficult aspect of this course. Some of the fairways they were showing on tv looked wide enough to land an airplane on. I think the length is the biggest factor for the ladies, its the approach shots that are the problem. The last Open they played here was won with +6 but I think -6 will be the winning score this time around from the looks of it.

Yeah, there are quite a few holes with wide fairways and the ball is running forever. The greens are very tough right now and the sheer distance with how thick the rough is, is quite high.

I hate to see the slow play debate creeping in to this. The LPGA could use as much exposure as possible, and this should be the perfect tournament to showcase their talents and how entertaining golf is.

So length not width is the problem ???

So length not width is the problem ???

Thats what she said.

I couldnt resist, but yes that is what the announcer ladies where discussing. I believe its the 2nd longest course setup in Open history for the women.

I love womens golf and try not to miss a tournament if at all possible but I had to turn this off yesterday. Watching people like Brittany Lang is just awful. She is so slow on the greens it's really ridiculous. There are others as well but they kept showing her yesterday and I was actually getting mad at my TV.

Michelle Wie is making a move today -4 so for for the round.

Michelle Wie is making a move today -4 so for for the round.

And now -5. For the sake of the women's game, I would love to see her live up to her potential....

And now -5. For the sake of the women's game, I would love to see her live up to her potential....

Same. Would be cool, however unlikely, to see her challenge Yani.

I went to the Women's US Open in 2004 and it was great to watch. Meg Mallon put on a show with a 65 on Sunday to win it. Michelle Wie was 14 years old and was just awesome to watch. I'd love to see her career start to take off. Now that she is done with college I hope it does. There are a lot of great women golfers out on tour that make it interesting, but if you get her involved at a high level it will move the needle(IMO).

Gal, Hurst, Peterson, Wie all tied for the lead ATM, with Kerr 1 back

Not me, sorry. She had great potential, but offended a lot of folks with her bad attitude. Just terrible. She dissed a lot of the LPGA players, and even some PGA players, and look where it got her. I'd rather the girls growing up have someone else to look up to, I just don't like her and her 'tude

I'm loving the Salas story at this Open. Things are shaping up nicely :)

I guess wie figured the putter out today. It seemed like she played really well tee to green yesterday and putted like poo, she might be running away with this thing today otherwise.

Gal, Hurst, Peterson, Wie all tied for the lead ATM, with Kerr 1 back

That's a pretty nice leaderboard.

What in the world happened to my pick Brittany Lincicome? She shot 80 today!

Back