NUNCHUK Shaft Review

Great review Ddec

Nice review guys.

Looking forward to some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think they would've cost me strokes. They may have left me further from the green or put me at/around the tree line but than again it's hard to say.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Thanks for the reply, I am very interested in this shaft because of the low trajectory. I can send my balls into the stratosphere at times it seems, so anything low spin, low trajectory catches my eye.

Great review and vids ddec! How would you describe the accuracy you saw with the nunchuk shaft? It's interesting that you saw less distance overall than you did with the razor x.

Very good review Dean! Look forward to seeing long term with all the people who have one. I still can't wrap my head around a flexless shaft and really don't see how it could be possible. That's why I'm loving all these different points of view. It's also good to hear what you all are playing as gamers. I kinda have some theories on somethings but I'm just gonna see how this plays out for everyone.

Great information guys!! glad to hear this shaft is working for you. As a shaft novice I am a little confused and thought I would post a question here for those more knowledgable than me can answer. In recent years we have heard the theory "lighter is longer" when it comes to golf clubs and shafts. An example is the new Cleveland Black driver I saw on another thread and it is offering a 39 gram shaft. This shaft seems to go aganst that line thinking but yet offering the same type of results. Or is it that this shaft is offering accuracy and the others are merely offering distance? Can anyone comment on that aspect?

Great review and vids ddec! How would you describe the accuracy you saw with the nunchuk shaft? It's interesting that you saw less distance overall than you did with the razor x.

To be fair to Dean, he is just absolutely pounding the Razr Hawk. Seriously. Every time I saw him hit it, it went dead straight, right where he was aiming. If I were him, it would be tough to find something better. That doesn't mean that the Supertri/Nunchuk combo won't be good for him, but when you walk away from the MC weekend that he did, they way he hit the ball off the tee, it would be tough to want to mess around with something else.

Great information guys!! glad to hear this shaft is working for you. As a shaft novice I am a little confused and thought I would post a question here for those more knowledgable than me can answer. In recent years we have heard the theory "lighter is longer" when it comes to golf clubs and shafts. An example is the new Cleveland Black driver I saw on another thread and it is offering a 39 gram shaft. This shaft seems to go aganst that line thinking but yet offering the same type of results. Or is it that this shaft is offering accuracy and the others are merely offering distance? Can anyone comment on that aspect?

The whole premise behind light weight shafts is so that golfers can increase club head speed just due to the overall lightness of the driver. Increased clubhead speed = increased distance. I don't know if light weight shafts are merely offering distance or not, but imo, I'm inclined to lean that way. It makes sense from the perspective of the manufacturer as well. Amateur golfers are driven by the pursuit of distance. I think what the Nunchuk is all about is not only accuracy but the overall package. Nventix firmly believes that other driver shafts that have flexes produce destructive swing variables that diminish golfer performance. Basically, shafts that have "flex" twist and droop during the golf swing in a manner that results in the face of the club often being open or closed at impact, and with a significant increase or decrease in loft. Nventix has also conducted hours of research proving that most kick points in shafts that offer flex, occurs well before the club head reaches the golf ball, wasting energy, power, and ultimately, distance before impact. The Nunchuk combats all of that b/c quite simply, it's flexless.

Nice write up ddec. I'm enjoying the reviews on these shafts. I tend to agree with TC though. With how well you hit the RH I'm not sure I'd mess with anything right now.

Nice write up ddec. I'm enjoying the reviews on these shafts. I tend to agree with TC though. With how well you hit the RH I'm not sure I'd mess with anything right now.

lol, as much as I like the early success from the Nunchuk, that would be my advice to young ddec as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think part of that is the head itself. The SuperTri is a higher spinning head than the Razr Hawk. It was only one outing with them but I will have more comparisons as the rest of the year goes on.

lol, as much as I like the early success from the Nunchuk, that would be my advice to young ddec as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks fellas! I don't plan on throwing this in the Razr Hawk anytime soon. The reason it's in the supertri right now is because of how easy it is to just slap a grip on it and add the TM sleeve yourself. If I continue to like it it could find its way in to my 3 wood. Time will tell I guess.

After trying this shaft out on Saturday, I am left with a lot of questions that I think I am in the minority on.

First up is balance. We have constantly heard for the last 2 years that as club head have gone lighter, shafts have gone lighter as well to create balance. Because if you have a heavy club head on the end of a light shaft it feels off. With this being as heavy as it was, it felt off to me in a RAZR Hawk driver. It felt like I could not feel where the club head was in my swing and because of that, I found myself hitting quite a few thin balls with it on the range.

The other issue I have is that by the end of the round in the hot sun, I am more tired than when I started and while it may seem trivial, I found the heavy shaft to be a burden. Its one of the reasons that I prefer lighter iron shafts too.

Lastly, Im not sure about the whole distance thing with this one yet (not that they are promoting it that way) I suspect that if more accuracy is achieved distance would come for a lot of people. For me it was noticeably shorter. Not a lot shorter and it could have merely been my driving that day, but it seemed 5-10 yards shorter than my normal drives overall.

Like any shaft, I think this shaft could be right for the right person. And based on fitting could work well for someone, but I am thinking that I am not that person at all.

Speed equals distance dude. Longer shaft means longer arc, of course if you can't control it then you're just further into the rough.

--
tapatalk

Not necessarily, Imagine swinging a club the length of a telephone poll. There is a point where length (no matter how well you control it) equals loss of head speed.

excellent summary ddec! liked the contrasting videos

I'd like to see the numbers on this from an LM side by side with someones standard setup.

Nice reviews so far everybody. I still have my shaft, without a head to put it in. I haven't bought an adapter for my 910D3 yet for several reasons:

1. Don't really want to spend $60 just to "try it out".
2. The 910D3 is a low spin head already, couple that with a no-spin shaft and it might be a worm burner launcher, especially with a head of only 9.5*.
3. I am been having fits with the 910D3 lately and have zero confidence in it right now.

I really wish I still had my Supertri, I think this combo would be fun as ddec showed us.

Thoughts?

Great reviews so far. I am glad to see there are negative posts (not for the product itself, but more of a devils advocate) for this. As I am one that is still working on my driver swing to get rid of that nasty fade/slice deal, I think this shaft would be a great starting point as I think it would eliminate some areas where I am inconsistent in my swing and give an overall better outcome. I'm not saying that this is a beginner shaft as there are some tour players using it but I think it would be a great starting shaft. Just my 2c

To be fair to Dean, he is just absolutely pounding the Razr Hawk. Seriously. Every time I saw him hit it, it went dead straight, right where he was aiming. If I were him, it would be tough to find something better. That doesn't mean that the Supertri/Nunchuk combo won't be good for him, but when you walk away from the MC weekend that he did, they way he hit the ball off the tee, it would be tough to want to mess around with something else.

The whole premise behind light weight shafts is so that golfers can increase club head speed just due to the overall lightness of the driver. Increased clubhead speed = increased distance. I don't know if light weight shafts are merely offering distance or not, but imo, I'm inclined to lean that way. It makes sense from the perspective of the manufacturer as well. Amateur golfers are driven by the pursuit of distance. I think what the Nunchuk is all about is not only accuracy but the overall package. Nventix firmly believes that other driver shafts that have flexes produce destructive swing variables that diminish golfer performance. Basically, shafts that have "flex" twist and droop during the golf swing in a manner that results in the face of the club often being open or closed at impact, and with a significant increase or decrease in loft. Nventix has also conducted hours of research proving that most kick points in shafts that offer flex, occurs well before the club head reaches the golf ball, wasting energy, power, and ultimately, distance before impact. The Nunchuk combats all of that b/c quite simply, it's flexless.

I find much of the same thing with my driver. I hit my XL270 farther, straighter, and with more consistency than any other driver that I have ever tried. I just have to remind my self that I don't have to try and pound it because a smooth easy swing sends the ball about as far as I could ever expect to hit one. The smoother swing also makes me much more accurate and consistent. The problem is that at least once, if not twice, a round I still block it way right, like 45 degrees to the right. Hardly any of the courses here have an adjoining fairway, so that means lost balls, strokes. I also tend to hit it way too high. That's why your review grabbed my attention. If this shaft really can take out most of the dispersion then I'd be happy to give up a few yards. Then again my issue I think may be more of a comfort zone, choking if you will, type of issue, which no club can fix.

I am a believer, obviously, in the ultralight technology, but I'm always interested in new and innovative products. So I'm very interested to see how this one pans out. Great job done by the reviews so far!

I think part of that is the head itself. The SuperTri is a higher spinning head than the Razr Hawk. It was only one outing with them but I will have more comparisons as the rest of the year goes on.

I'll certainly be looking forward to your reviews.

After trying this shaft out on Saturday, I am left with a lot of questions that I think I am in the minority on.

First up is balance. We have constantly heard for the last 2 years that as club head have gone lighter, shafts have gone lighter as well to create balance. Because if you have a heavy club head on the end of a light shaft it feels off. With this being as heavy as it was, it felt off to me in a RAZR Hawk driver. It felt like I could not feel where the club head was in my swing and because of that, I found myself hitting quite a few thin balls with it on the range.

The other issue I have is that by the end of the round in the hot sun, I am more tired than when I started and while it may seem trivial, I found the heavy shaft to be a burden. Its one of the reasons that I prefer lighter iron shafts too.

Lastly, Im not sure about the whole distance thing with this one yet (not that they are promoting it that way) I suspect that if more accuracy is achieved distance would come for a lot of people. For me it was noticeably shorter. Not a lot shorter and it could have merely been my driving that day, but it seemed 5-10 yards shorter than my normal drives overall.

Like any shaft, I think this shaft could be right for the right person. And based on fitting could work well for someone, but I am thinking that I am not that person at all.

What club length and swing weight was the Razr set up with the Nunchuck? It is meant to be played at 43.5 - 44" at D1 to D2. Getting the right SW normally requires adding a significant amount of headweight.

Can anyone fill me in on why it is almost "necessary" to have it so short? I think that if the concept as an "accurate" shaft works, then it works. If it's flexless at 44", itll be flexless at 46" and you'll be able to get more distance out of it.

Can anyone fill me in on why it is almost "necessary" to have it so short? I think that if the concept as an "accurate" shaft works, then it works. If it's flexless at 44", itll be flexless at 46" and you'll be able to get more distance out of it.

That's a damn good question!

What club length and swing weight was the Razr set up with the Nunchuck? It is meant to be played at 43.5 - 44" at D1 to D2. Getting the right SW normally requires adding a significant amount of headweight.

44" and D2 for the RAZR.

Best question in this thread so far.

Originally Posted by Thainer

Best question in this thread so far.[/QUOTE]

Because that is how the inventor/designer of the shaft has set it up to be played. He has stated there are very specific design parameters in regards to the flex (or lack thereof) in each section, the counterbalancing, and the overall weight. Based on his design parameters and his observations of optimal contact/ball flight/accuracy/distance - those are his recommendations.

Edit to add: I have not swung the Nunchuck yet, I am only paraphrasing what I have read posted by the inventor.

Double Edit (from the inventor):
The fundamental problem with your setup of this driver is (I suspect) the shaft length.
If you read through the thread you will find completely consistant comments coming from those who have built drivers at excessive lengths on this NUNCHUK shaft.
The more they tipped off their over length shaft, the better it performed. As I have previously explained, I designed this concept on a completely different fundamental set of criteria to any other shaft. Extra shaft length is not even a consideration in this concept. Extra length only induces inconsistency into the performance.
I deliberately set the length at 43.5" as my target club length in accordance with all of the other design needs I had to contend with. As theory and experiment have moved into practical application and design, I stand by my original selection of 43.5" as being the ideal mechanical target.
That does not mean that you are limited to exactly 43.5", even though I stand by my judgement that that is the ideal length for maximum possible performance, in all conditions, under all circumstances. I see no problems at 44".

Because that is how the inventor/designer of the shaft has set it up to be played. He has stated there are very specific design parameters in regards to the flex (or lack thereof) in each section, the counterbalancing, and the overall weight. Based on his design parameters and his observations of optimal contact/ball flight/accuracy/distance - those are his recommendations.

So instead of fitting for flex, you fit for his design specs?

I think the length fitting is just as important. This shaft should be able to be but trimmed and tip trimmed to spec to get the proper fitting and balance point, instead of making a broad sweeping statement of "44 inches is best for everyone".

I like the idea of the flexless shaft, but not the idea of everyone should play 44" for it to work properly. Thats like saying your car will stop at every red light if you let it coast far enough.

So instead of fitting for flex, you fit for his design specs?

I think the length fitting is just as important. This shaft should be able to be but trimmed and tip trimmed to spec to get the proper fitting and balance point, instead of making a broad sweeping statement of "44 inches is best for everyone".

I like the idea of the flexless shaft, but not the idea of everyone should play 44" for it to work properly. Thats like saying your car will stop at every red light if you let it coast far enough.

See my quote I added to my previous post. If you believe the inventor's posts describing the design of the shaft, then "Yes", you fit for shaft length, swingweight, and loft of driver.

He is stating to not view this Nunchuck shaft similar to any other shaft out there - so you need a different paradigm to use it effectively.

Back