Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Yesterday I messed around in the garden again playing 20-40 yard pitch and chip shots.
This club is incredible!
I started off with good fluffy lies and was amazed at the height I was getting.
I then started putting the ball intentionally in bare lies and there was no difference in the shot.
This amazed me as I normally thin these badly.
Then I started having fun, lightly stepping on the ball to give it a worst lie possible scenario and I was still hitting amazing pitches.
I really think this club is going to have a huge impact on my game.
I just can't believe how easy it is to play from any lie possible.
It's even easy to play the flop shot that JB was talking about when he was using his 56.
I thought I might have trouble with that due to the sole but there was no problem at all.
I have a tree in my garden with a V in the branches and I was consistently playing through the V, I think I hit a branch once.

I can see my handicap coming down to 3 fairly soon with this club, I don't think I've ever picked up a club and found it to have such an impact so quickly on something that I've always struggled with.
Already pondering getting a 42 or 49 as well.:D

I think it's really cool seeing low handicappers using this club with success!

You know I really feel that Cleveland were onto a good thing and didn't do enough marketing for this club.
Now they don't even make it anymore which seems like a real shame.

You know I really feel that Cleveland were onto a good thing and didn't do enough marketing for this club.

They are hard to find for sure! Very few people want to get rid of them I suppose.

They are hard to find for sure! Very few people want to get rid of them I suppose.

I'm still holding onto my 37 and 42 even though they are not in my bag. If my irons or Herbie ever start acting up, they'll go right back in.

Faiz: I'm glad to hear you're happy. Honestly, the 56 is the one that I had the least amount of success with. I think it is best for full shots which quickly get up high in the air, and come down hard with a lot of back spin.

If you like the 56, then check out the 49. That one for me has been a game changer.

Faiz, how is the niblick working for you?
I ask because you have yet to put it in your signature and I assume that means you are not currently carrying it.
Keep us informed how it is working for you.

Have been carrying (3) Niblicks, the 42*, 49*, and 56* with good success for awhile now, but I did run into some issues playing a course with very shallow sand and a firm base. The 14* bounce on the Niblick was a bit of a problem and I skulled a few over the green trying to get under the ball. I must remember to use my conventional 60* Wedge with low bouce for all the greenside bunker shots on that particular course. On other courses where the sand is fluffy and deep, the Niblick 56 works well however, and it has proven more reliable than the 60* LW for MOST Lob shots too, (hardpan lies being the lone exception).

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Sorry my girlfriend was visiting for the last 2 weeks and she left on saturday night so I wasn't able to use it on the course until sunday morning.
Gonna give a reveiw but tbh my game was really really bad due to a heavy saturday night with my friends and a lack of play for 2 weeks which left me rusty anyway.

So first hole, had a fluffy chip of about 20 yards and I managed to go under it and send it 5 yards.lol
chipped again and put it to 8 feet thanks to the downslope and promptly missed the putt.

Hole 3, over the green for 2 with a good 20 yards across the green to the pin.
clipped it sweetly and put it to 4 feet pin high and made birdie.

Hole 4 is 120 yards which I can reach with a 3/4 swing gap wedge.
Took a full swing with the niblick and it was heading straight at the flag, unfortunately it was short by about 3 yards and went in the bunker.
Played twice in the bunker so practice required there to see if I can play this club from there.

Hole 5 I had a 40 yard pitch left to green, landed it right next the flag but it rolled on and left me with a 10 footer.
It was a good shot but I should've landed it a bit shorter as I knew it would roll.

Hole 7 I did the same thing on a much shorter shot where I played it a bit too long and left myself with a longer putt.

Hole 10 was just awesome.
I had a bad drive and had to come out of the trees sideways.
This left me with 70 yards to the green so I played a 3/4 swing and caught it beautifully.
Landed on the green, rolled onward about 6 feet and lipped out!
Left me with a 6 inch putt for my best par of the day.

Hole 12 was not good, I had a 100 yard shot into the green and I hit the niblick fat on a full swing.
This left me with a 10 yard chip over a bunker to a pin on the front of the green.
I sort of choked on the shot and just made it to the green.
Not my proudest moment.

Hole 15 I had a 25 yard chip with a lot of slope from left to right which I played really well to leave me with a 5 footer.

Hole 16, chipped from 20 yards but left it a bit short for an 8 foot putt.

Hole 18, chipped from 20 yards and again landed it on the hole to leave myself with a 12 footer.

All in all it was an improvement to have a consistent chipping stroke and hit some good chips.
I think distance control really needs some work but accuracy is spot on.
I didn't thin a single shot and felt confident enough to use it from barepan lies which is quite a big deal for me.
I don't think I will be using it on anything longer than 90 yards tbh.
I feel that it works best for me when I'm not using a full swing.
However, this is my first time to ever use it so I'm definitely gonna be giving it a lot of time to get mydistances right.
All in all I really enjoy hitting this club and I still feel it's going to have a big impact on my game.
I feel like I need another one, maybe a 42 or a 49.
Not sure which, maybe I'll get both but if I get one then I'm leaning towards a 42.

I'll post up some more thoughts as I go along.
MajBC I took out my Mizuno Flihi for it.

Well my 56 niblick has completely changed my game.
Regulary making birdies on par 5's thanks to this beauty and occasionally on par 4's after a big drive.

It's performed so well that I've ordered the 42!
I really wanted the 49 as well but I cant find it anywhere.

Can't understand why these didn't take off more, it's by far the best club I've ever purchased.
Surprisingly nobody really laughs either.lol

Well my 56 niblick has completely changed my game.
Regulary making birdies on par 5's thanks to this beauty and occasionally on par 4's after a big drive.

It's performed so well that I've ordered the 42!
I really wanted the 49 as well but I cant find it anywhere.

Can't understand why these didn't take off more, it's by far the best club I've ever purchased.
Surprisingly nobody really laughs either.lol

Faiz: I'm glad to hear the 56 has worked so well. People pay more attention to the 37/42/49 (at least the 2010 models). That back flange and stepped sole has a lot to do with it. The 56 doesn't look *that* different from afar.

what lofts did they make in the original niblick, just the 37 and 42? or did they make the higher lofts as well like the newer design...i like the look of the original for chipping and pitching but want a higher loft.

what lofts did they make in the original niblick, just the 37 and 42? or did they make the higher lofts as well like the newer design...i like the look of the original for chipping and pitching but want a higher loft.

Hort22: The original Niblick (yellow gel triangles on the back) came in 37, 42, 49 and 56. I've owned all four and honestly think the 49 is the best of the group.

Hort22: The original Niblick (yellow gel triangles on the back) came in 37, 42, 49 and 56. I've owned all four and honestly think the 49 is the best of the group.

thats what im looking for...now where to find one?

thats what im looking for...now where to find one?

The 49s are pretty rare. You can find them on eBay though. That's where I found mine.

I must admit that the 49 is the club that I've had in my bag the longest. It's moving to "you'll pry it from my cold, dead hands" status.

I'm looking for a 49 also. I have the other 3 but never got that one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Are the newer Niblicks not as good as the older version. I know they changed it due to the grove rules. What is the playability difference if anyone knows.

Are the newer Niblicks not as good as the older version. I know they changed it due to the grove rules. What is the playability difference if anyone knows.

The older model has the zip grooves and feel a little heavier to me, both advantages in my opinion.

Oddly enough the 49* is the only niblick I have not tried.

The older model has the zip grooves and feel a little heavier to me, both advantages in my opinion.

The older models also have the alignment line and weird "flange" thing on the back. The new ones might be a little easier on a full swing (the flange can sometimes get caught on grass in the back swing), but I think the old models are better for chipping and pitching.

The older models also have the alignment line and weird "flange" thing on the back. The new ones might be a little easier on a full swing (the flange can sometimes get caught on grass in the back swing), but I think the old models are better for chipping and pitching.

I've put some wonky swings on the ball with my 49, but I've never had the flange interfere with anything. Hahaha

The older models are better IMO from spin and general weighting and performance, I played 3 of each series at different times, the older ones brought me back in the long run.

I've put some wonky swings on the ball with my 49, but I've never had the flange interfere with anything. Hahaha

JMan: It's more about where I'm actually hitting it from (which tells you all you need to know about my golf game). I've had that happen in high or very uneven rough (like patches of grass in the middle of dead grass). I suspect that's the reason why we don't see more designs like this.

So the 42 is performing pretty well for me.
It seems to be sort of inbetween 9 and pw for full shots.
One thing that I've found very odd is that I'm hitting it dead straight on full shots.
Really really straight, just like the 56.
This has got me questioning if I'm using the wrong irons as I'm hitting my Titleists with a strong draw all the way from 3 to pw.
Anyone have any ideas?!

The 56 is the best club I've ever purchased.
Can't get enough of it.
Might buy a couple more for future use before they completely disappear.

One thing that I've found very odd is that I'm hitting it dead straight on full shots.
This has got me questioning if I'm using the wrong irons as I'm hitting my Titleists with a strong draw all the way from 3 to pw.
Anyone have any ideas?!

Can't get enough of it.

I've got this club sitting in a bin in my garage. I've never given it a fair chance really but just never saw an advantage over my regular wedges. I'm going to get it back out and tinker.

Anyone have any ideas?!

Can't get enough of it.

Faiz: I too hit the 37, 42 and 49 straighter than I hit my irons. My irons are draw machines. At one point I played all four and have thought about going back to playing 3 of them.

It seems that the older version with the zip grooves is preferred. I've been thinking about trying one out but am having a tough time finding one. Are the newer release (2011-ish?) worth giving a shot or should I hold out for the original in decent shape?

It seems that the older version with the zip grooves is preferred. I've been thinking about trying one out but am having a tough time finding one. Are the newer release (2011-ish?) worth giving a shot or should I hold out for the original in decent shape?

I have had good luck with a new version 49° but I don't have any experience with the original style to compare it to.

Thanks. Anyone tried both that would care to comment?

Back