Niblick Unboxing & Thread

So I practiced with the Niblicks in the backyard after mowing the lawn today. It seems like whatever swing I want to use in my chips/pitches the Niblicks made execution a breeze. I did a putting style (with a bit of a hinging at transition) for short chips and pitches, a little choked up hands-ahead address for bump 'n runs, a little finesse wristy flip I use sometimes when short sided, as well as a regular, "full swing" type setup with the backswing being just long enough to get the distance I desired for pitches (9 o'clock, 7:30 whatever) . The Niblicks handled them all with ease and I'm filled with confidence. Still waiting for my 42 degree to arrive. :rockon:

Not trying to be insensitive here, but I don't entirely get this sentiment some seem to have about the Niblicks, where, despite having success with them on approach shots, pitches and chips etc., they feel a "need" or are otherwise compelled to get back to the more mainstream wedges...is this because they believe they'll score better or are we seeing ego at play here? Or is it Peer pressure? Maybe club envy for their friends' or the Pros' new Vokeys or CG-16s?

I my case, I am reworking my iron swing across the board, so I want to have every opportunity to work on that swing with those irons. Once I get the iron swing under control I will revisit the 42 Niblick as that really is a great club as a PW replacement and super around the fringe, but for me the 37 Niblick was not better than a iron on full shots and I did not use if very much as a chipper.

The 49* and 56* are not going anywhere- they never fail me.

Thanks for all the great info. I've read the first 600 posts of this thread, and I'm still working on the last 300. I'm about to get a 49* and 56* Niblick. I'll be buying used on eBay. What do any of you recommend regarding the 2011 models vs the earlier ones. I know the grooves changed, and there were a few other changes, but which do you prefer playing with and why? In other words - which should I buy?

Its a preference really. I preferred the earlier ones due to a slight weighting difference. But the 2011 model had a great look to it.

Yes, the 2011s do look good. But I can get past that if the older ones hit better. Any difference between years on tighter lies? That's where I seem to find myself.

Yes, the 2011s do look good. But I can get past that if the older ones hit better. Any difference between years on tighter lies? That's where I seem to find myself.

Due to the weighting and the shape, I dont think there is a huge difference in the lie you are playing it from (in terms of 2010 to 2011)

The higher spinning zip grooves on the 2010 models actually do offer a real advantage over the 2011/2012 models, plus the 37* model was available in 2010 as well. The 37* Niblick was dropped from the series for the 2012 model year. Interesting that it gets less love than the other Niblick lofts because 37* is actually the ONLY loft in the Niblick series that can be considered a "chipper club" loft. Ironic don't you think? If you prefer chipping with a 7-8 iron which I often did, chances are you will like the 2010 37* Niblick. The Niblick 42* is good too, but to me, that loft is more akin to chipping with a 9-iron and hence has a slightly higher margin for error.

The 2011/2012 Niblicks will look more attractive to some people, but the edge in performance clearly goes to the older 2010 series of Niblicks because the zip grooves offer spin advantages, and the gold gelback insert improves feel. I personally prefer the look of the 2010's because I enjoy the gold insert's contrast with the black pearl finish, plus it is a perfect cosmetic match with the 2010 Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl, (the only conventional Lob wedge I carry).

The 60* Low Bounce, (8*), Cleveland 2010 CG-14 Black Pearl Lob Wedge complements my 56* high bounce (14*) Niblick SW. The 60* CG-14 will be the go-to club for lobs from very firm fairway or hardpan lies around the green, and also for downhill/buried lies in the sand. For those ABNORMAL lie situations, the high bounce, (14*) of the 56* Niblick will NOT be your friend. From more normal normal lies however, I absolutely love the 56* Niblick so it gets far more use than the 60* CG-14.

Last edited:
I discovered th niblicks this season and quickly added the whole 2011 lineup to my bag. I feel like a few other have said here. Please Cleveland, release a whole niblick set.
I am so much more accurate on all shots with the niblicks.
I am going to try and find a 37 to add to my bag aswell.
Great clubs!

Just revisited the Niblicks again after a long break from them. Hit a perfect pitch for birdie opportunity from 75 yards out with a 49* ( non- conforming old grooves ). The ball ended up buried in it's own pitch mark which is rare for me. I do agree that Cleveland would do well to have an entire set beginning with a 30*. I also agree that the 56* has way too much bounce for most lies, unless it's fluffie.

Still going strong for me....

I switched to Niblicks for good in 2010...the Niblicks in my bag are not going anywhere because they improve my short game and hence my score.

The most amazing, (and surprising) thing is that these Niblicks are more accurate for full swing shots. I expected them to be superior around the green, (and of course they are).

I have a ton of confidence in these Niblicks! Just a better type of wedge for my game! I love them!

:act-up:

Just revisited the Niblicks again after a long break from them. Hit a perfect pitch for birdie opportunity from 75 yards out with a 49* ( non- conforming old grooves ). The ball ended up buried in it's own pitch mark which is rare for me. I do agree that Cleveland would do well to have an entire set beginning with a 30*. I also agree that the 56* has way too much bounce for most lies, unless it's fluffie.

I would like them to offer Niblicks in 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and 60 degree loft
Let the 55 have the bounce of the current 56 and the 60 something similar to the 49.
Keep the shaft length, weight and lie the same throughout the set.
Distance shouldnt be a problem. I seem to hit the Niblicks about 1 or 2 degrees shorter than regular wedges. I expect a 20 degree niblick to hit atleast as far as 24-25 lofted regular iron.

Here's another vote from someone who'd like to game a whole set of Niblicks. I really do think there's a market for this if Cleveland's listening. I'd be up for differing shaft lengths just to make the lofts less aggressive on the longer clubs.

I'm really loving the 37 as a chipper around the greens. I've never been good at that shot but almost holed out about three different ones in the last week (and was left with short putts).

I agree with EJ333 and others that the 56 wasn't my cup of tea for finesse shots around the green or out of the sand. My CG14 SW is better for that. The 56 Niblick was killer though for full swing shots.

As for the old vs. new Niblick debate, I personally prefer the old ones. The new ones are a bit cleaner looking, but clean isn't exactly what this club is about. Give me the "real" zip grooves and visible alignment aid any day. I think the gelback is pure marketing, but I actually find it attractive.

Alright guys I’ve moreor less reached the lowest point with my chipping and pitching. Yesterday I had2 opportunities for chip and putt birdies from within 25 yards, I chipped twiceon both and ended up with bogeys. On Wednesday I hit the clubhouse on 18 aftera thinned 30 yard lob.
I’m putting myself inall of these great places to score low and my chipping and pitching are justreally letting me down. I’ve come to believe that I am better off rolling a 7from 50 yards than taking my chances with a lob or sand even though I know howlucky I have to be with all the bounces and grass.
If I get a 49 would itbe good for pitching from 70 yards in and greenside lofted chipping?
Would it help to solvethe problem of fat and thin shots?
Why have so many ofyou who raved about them stopped using them?
After seeing the hugebenefits that the Ping Doc 15 has brought to my game I am willing to trysomething different to see if I can get that last bit of my game that I’mmissing.
What do you think?Worth a try with the 49? From what I’ve read that is the best one for pitchingand lofted chipping.

I gamed the 49* for a long while, and still to this day, love that club. I sent it off to mcook77 a while back for him to play around with, but prior to that it would go in and out of the bag off and on.

As far as why I moved on? Same reason I move on from any other equipment, to change it up.

The 49* was incredible. I still remember my first round with it; 80 yards out, hit a low bump and run type of shot and holed out for birdie.

Yeah I read about that!
Awesome shot, gave me hope!haha

Its really hard to find one for sale in UK.
My gf is coming in May so I thought maybe she could bring one if I can find it.
If it works out well then I can see my handicap coming down as my chipping is truly ridiculous.

I gamed 3 of these for awhile, started at 42* then added 49* and 56*. Like you I struggled with the short game and needed a quick remedy. These clubs do the trick. Solid off the tee, fairway, rough anywhere you need them. Over time Ive gradually worked on my short game and while not perfect, its slightly better than year's past so Ive moved onto other wedges.

Definitely worth a try, like you said it might be the quick way to get your handicap down

It depends on what you need. If it is chipping help exclusively, I actually think Herbie's OPW is better. You absolutely cannot shank the Herbie and I've never been around a club that just effortlessly pops the ball up in the air. I feel like from 50 yards from the pin in (note I'm not talking about 50 yards from the green), it is fantastic.

The Niblick 49 isn't great for long chips. I personally think the 37 or 42 are much better. The ball releases more with the lower lofted ones. Chipping with the 49 just kind of leaves the ball about 5-10 feet from wherever it lands. It can work for short chips because it kind of checks and stops, but takes some practice.

The Niblick 49 is great for full shots. It's definitely the most accurate gap wedge I've owned, including ones that have come in matching sets. I can just throw darts with it. In fact, I hit the best shot of my life with it on a full shot as I holed out from ~ 80 yards.

The Niblick 49 is also great for pitching. If I'm 30-50 yards off the green, then a little half swing with no wrists is just the ticket. I've played around with other wedges, and ball position and nothing beats the 49.

To your other question, I've taken the 37 and 42 out of my bag. They are fantastic all around clubs, but I like Herbie a little bit better for my use case:
- CG14 SW for sand play mostly and the occasional full swing
- Herbie for chipping
- Niblick 49 for pitching and full swings as a gap wedge

Found these baby at a Play it Again near my house for $9.99 a piece. I have yet to hit a ball with them , but for the money, I thought what the hell......
[IMG

][/IMG]
20130419_114410_zps259ad6bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ryebread that sounds perfect.
On most par 4s I'm left with 70 to 30 yards and the 49 sounds ideal for what I want to do. Need to get one.

I used the 49 for about half a year. It was so easy to hit pitch and chip shots with. I struggled at times with more of a 3/4 to full shot with it though. Eventually I took it out of the bag and never went back. But while it was in there it gave me plenty of confidence in my short game.

Ryebread that sounds perfect.
On most par 4s I'm left with 70 to 30 yards and the 49 sounds ideal for what I want to do. Need to get one.

Faiz: Given you are playing to a 4.5, you might not need any changes. I know if I were playing to that handicap, I wouldn't change a thing.

Having said that, the 49 shines from 30-80 yards off of the green. That is its sweet spot. If someone wants to get better in that part of the game, I think it's the best club I have played.

I still have the 42 degree in my bag. Perfect for punching out of those tough lies in and around the woods. Keeps ya irons from getting too many dings too :thumb:

You know I'd love to be able to say I can chip and pitch like a 5 handicapper but tbh its more like a 28 right now!its really shocking compared to the rest of my game and its really frustrating me.
On thursday I made an eagle and 2 birdies on holes where I didn't chip. I bogeyed 2 holes where I chipped that I know shouldve been birdies. It wouldve been my best 9 holes ever even if I had made 1 of those birdies. That was very frustrating.
The problem is that the ground here is very firm when you get a thin lie and I struggle in those situations. I think a chipping and pitching lesson would solve the problem but there aren't any decent teaching pros here.

I still have the 42 degree in my bag. Perfect for punching out of those tough lies in and around the woods. Keeps ya irons from getting too many dings too :thumb:

Same here OG...the Niblick 42 is my thin lie/nasty rough/Tree root club

Back