Niblick Unboxing & Thread

This thread motivated me to take these, 37 and 42, to the range today. Not for me.

hereiswhynow: Give them a couple of tries. Looking at your bag, they're seemingly a bit different than what you are currently gaming. There may be an adjustment period.

The first time I took one to the range, I wasn't blown away. After about 3 sessions though, I was hooked.

The 49 is the club in my bag that I have owned the longest. I tend to think it will stay there. The couple of rounds that I've taken it out, I've always missed it and immediately put it back in when I got home.

Last edited:
Ill give them another shot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ill give them another shot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

While they are good for chipping I find they are very good for me on full shots. The 42* is the same distance as a PW and the 37* is the same as 9-iron distance, just thought you might like to try them for full shots. I do have a friend who they just didn't work for so they are not for everybody. Good luck with the niblick's.

While they are good for chipping I find they are very good for me on full shots. The 42* is the same distance as a PW and the 37* is the same as 9-iron distance, just thought you might like to try them for full shots. I do have a friend who they just didn't work for so they are not for everybody. Good luck with the niblick's.

I think they are good for full shots as well. The only negative thing that I can say about them is that the flange on the back can sometimes get caught up in high or wildly uneven grass (i.e. patches of tall stuff intermixed with dormant grass). Of course, if you are off the beaten path or just playing on poorly maintained courses, pretty much anything can produce inconsistent results.

I honestly played some of my best golf gaming the 37, 42 and 49 and playing them for all shots from 9 iron range in as long as I wasn't in the sand. That really gives you a ton of options out on the course. My current setup is honestly far less flexible.

Well I ordered the 49 but now it looks like they don't have that one in stock.
It's going to have to be the 42 or the 56.

The thing I'm worried about with the 56 is that I face a lot of tight lies, is the bounce too much to compete with this?
Of the two which would you get to chip 50 yards?

I can't find another 49 anywhere.
I cant really see myself pitching with a 42 due to all of the grass I'd have to bounce over.
However I don't want to be thinning the 56.
With the 56 playing like a 60 I can see it slotting into my bag really well though.

Are these still on sale in the states?
In england they're non existant.

The thing I'm worried about with the 56 is that I face a lot of tight lies, is the bounce too much to compete with this?

I cant really see myself pitching with a 42 due to all of the grass I'd have to bounce over.
With the 56 playing like a 60 I can see it slotting into my bag really well though.

I use my 42 degree all around the course. It takes some practice but it's a cool little club. If you need more loft check this one out on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEVELAND-4...61012942723?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item257d1e8783

I personally wouldn't recommend the 56. The 49 is the best all around club IMO. The 42 is good for chipping and can be used as a PW replacement. You might try used clubs if you can't find new. I got mine used and they were still in good shape and much cheaper.

I personally wouldn't recommend the 56. The 49 is the best all around club IMO. The 42 is good for chipping and can be used as a PW replacement. You might try used clubs if you can't find new. I got mine used and they were still in good shape and much cheaper.
Welcome Aboard Ibock! Post an intro in Introductions and Announcements, great to have great input!

So the 56 arrived, I didn't really have much choice as I had already paid for the 49 and thy only had the 56 left.

Initially I swung it a few time indoors then went out into the garden.
This club is fricking awesome, its so easy to hit the ball way up high.

I can't play golf for 2 weeks now so I'll have to wait to give it a proper outing but I can see it being instrumental in my quest to drop my handicap.

I love this place, thanks to reading reviews and tips I've already come down to 4 purely by buying new equipment that helps to solve my flaws or suits my strengths.

If this goes well I can see myself buying the 49 too.
I think I could carry 4/5 wedges and find space for them.

So the 56 arrived, I didn't really have much choice as I had already paid for the 49 and thy only had the 56 left.

Initially I swung it a few time indoors then went out into the garden.
This club is fricking awesome, its so easy to hit the ball way up high.

I can't play golf for 2 weeks now so I'll have to wait to give it a proper outing but I can see it being instrumental in my quest to drop my handicap.

I love this place, thanks to reading reviews and tips I've already come down to 4 purely by buying new equipment that helps to solve my flaws or suits my strengths.

If this goes well I can see myself buying the 49 too.
I think I could carry 4/5 wedges and find space for them.
I carried the 49* for a long time, love that club!

Interesting note, this thread is what led me to THP!

Looks like Cleveland needs to get on the ball and build few more huh? :D

I love my 42!

That's quite interesting!
I joined because of the R1 thread.
Glad I joined, my golf game has improved and I think being a member on here has played a part in that.

Same with me. This thread is how I found THP.

Ole Gray: Did the Niblick 42's resurrection replace the Herbie?

Yep my Niblick has been with me since they first came out. Herbie did an awesome job to correct a flaw that would not go away, no matter how hard I tried. Mentally I was overwhelmed and Herbie really is awesome if you ever get the sideways shots going on :bulgy-eyes:.

The 42 Niblick works well for me from 100 yds in but the really cool thing, is how it gets me out of trouble from the woods. The Niblick is like a mini tank and busts through anything. Seriously, if you need a club that is not afraid to get down and dirty, this sucker is like a plow mule.

Yep my Niblick has been with me since they first came out. Herbie did an awesome job to correct a flaw that would not go away, no matter how hard I tried. Mentally I was overwhelmed and Herbie really is awesome if you ever get the sideways shots going on :bulgy-eyes:.

The 42 Niblick works well for me from 100 yds in but the really cool thing, is how it gets me out of trouble from the woods. The Niblick is like a mini tank and busts through anything. Seriously, if you need a club that is not afraid to get down and dirty, this sucker is like a plow mule.

So true. From a versatility perspective, nothing I've ever gamed is better than a Niblick. Hundred yards out? Niblick. Need a hole out a chip? Niblick. Want to pitch and land up softly? Niblick. Punch out? Niblick. Definitely a great club.

One other thing it is great for is warm up. The heavier swing weight helps me get loosened up. My biggest swing flaw is trying to swing too quickly. If I swing 10-15 times with the 49, I can typically go and hit my driver straight without any pre-round range time. The golf swing to me is very unnatural (much, much, much slower than I would actually ever swing this type of object), so the Niblick helps get my tempo down and reduce the first tee adrenaline.

I think I will end up buying another and keeping 2 in the bag.
Tbh with my distance I don't really need my 2 and 4 irons so I imagine they'll get cut from the bag.

It makes me wonder why so many have abandoned using the niblicks. Most everyone who has used the niblick raves about its performance, maybe some just don't put it in their signature but still carry it. I guess the stigma of a chipper or old man club in the bag wouldn't give the right impression for some.

It makes me wonder why so many have abandoned using the niblicks. Most everyone who has used the niblick raves about its performance, maybe some just don't put it in their signature but still carry it. I guess the stigma of a chipper or old man club in the bag wouldn't give the right impression for some.

I took mine out for a couple of reasons. 1) I didn't like it much on full shots, I just never got comfortable with it. I found myself constantly in the yardage gap that I would need it as it was the only club in my bag between my PW and 56. At that time I was not comfortable with taking some distance off my PW, which I am now. 2) The inaugural Morgan Cup. That summer I ended up with new wedges and an AW that came with my Razr X irons. I found very quickly after taking it out of that bag that the confidence the niblick gave me on pitches and chips carried over which was great. So I didn't need it much after that. I still have it and practice with it from time to time, but it's just not in the bag full time anymore.

I had a friend it just didn't work for either chipping or full shots, so its not for everyone. I guess I'm in the minority but I get better results with the niblick on full shots, it does take some practice though. It is great for chipping as well.

I had a friend it just didn't work for either chipping or full shots, so its not for everyone. I guess I'm in the minority but I get better results with the niblick on full shots, it does take some practice though. It is great for chipping as well.

for me where it really shinned was those pitch shots from 20 to 65 yards or so. That was a shot I did not have before and now I am very comfortable with. Part of that comes from the confidence I gained while gaming this club.

for me where it really shinned was those pitch shots from 20 to 65 yards or so. That was a shot I did not have before and now I am very comfortable with. Part of that comes from the confidence I gained while gaming this club.

ddec: I agree. The Niblick is great for pitching. The 49 is probably the best thing that I have used.

I'm with you regarding the full shots on the 37 and 42. I think my regular irons are better. That's kind of why those came out. First I went to one as a chipper, but tried the Herbie, so that became my chipper.

I think my regular irons are about the same as the 49 though on full swings. I've also hit the 49 quite a bit against a CG14 50 degree wedge and some Vokeys and found the 49 to be about the same for me for full swings. With roughly equivalent full swing performance and superior results when pitching, there's no reason not to game the 49 for me.

The Niblick is also a conversation starter. If you're grouped up randomly, people will definitely ask about it when it comes out. Between the Niblick and the Herbie, I'm "crazy wedge guy" to a lot of people. :act-up:

ddec: I agree. The Niblick is great for pitching. The 49 is probably the best thing that I have used.

I'm with you regarding the full shots on the 37 and 42. I think my regular irons are better. That's kind of why those came out. First I went to one as a chipper, but tried the Herbie, so that became my chipper.

I think my regular irons are about the same as the 49 though on full swings. I've also hit the 49 quite a bit against a CG14 50 degree wedge and some Vokeys and found the 49 to be about the same for me for full swings. With roughly equivalent full swing performance and superior results when pitching, there's no reason not to game the 49 for me.

The Niblick is also a conversation starter. If you're grouped up randomly, people will definitely ask about it when it comes out. Between the Niblick and the Herbie, I'm "crazy wedge guy" to a lot of people. :act-up:

They start looking a bit harder when you start knocking the flags down huh? :D

They start looking a bit harder when you start knocking the flags down huh? :D

I wish I were that good. There's typically some point in the round where I've gotten lucky and put a 30-40 yard chip or pitch up close. That's typically when they ask. I suspect it's because that particular shot is so much an outlier from the rest of my game. ;)

I think Cleveland should have me on commission for Niblicks. I've sold quite a few of them due to random pairings. I'm sure people are thinking "if that hack can do that with that club, imagine what I could do..........."

Yesterday I messed around in the garden again playing 20-40 yard pitch and chip shots.
This club is incredible!
I started off with good fluffy lies and was amazed at the height I was getting.
I then started putting the ball intentionally in bare lies and there was no difference in the shot.
This amazed me as I normally thin these badly.
Then I started having fun, lightly stepping on the ball to give it a worst lie possible scenario and I was still hitting amazing pitches.
I really think this club is going to have a huge impact on my game.
I just can't believe how easy it is to play from any lie possible.
It's even easy to play the flop shot that JB was talking about when he was using his 56.
I thought I might have trouble with that due to the sole but there was no problem at all.
I have a tree in my garden with a V in the branches and I was consistently playing through the V, I think I hit a branch once.

I can see my handicap coming down to 3 fairly soon with this club, I don't think I've ever picked up a club and found it to have such an impact so quickly on something that I've always struggled with.
Already pondering getting a 42 or 49 as well.:D

Back