Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Faiz: I too hit the 37, 42 and 49 straighter than I hit my irons. My irons are draw machines. At one point I played all four and have thought about going back to playing 3 of them.

Sounds just like me!lol
Recently I have been able to hit straight on demand but it takes a concentrated effort.
It's much easier to hit a 30 yard draw/hook and know it'll go there.

Then I got the 56 and hit it straight, I figured it must be a loft thing.
Then the 42 is also dead straight!
It's a bit concerning, I may try out some other irons next trip to see if the situation improves.
Maybe using blades is accentuating the problem.

I want a 49 so bad, I'd carry 3 Niblicks no problem.
The main problem for me is shipping difficulties.

I have been wanting to try this club for awhile, and found used ones (42* and 49*) online today for under $40. So I pulled the trigger on the 42*.

Had my first long range chip/pitch in with a niblick yesterday!
Was awesome, a good 50 yards out with the 56 and holed it for eagle on the par 4 seventh.

I have to say, the 56 is way better for me than the 42.
I rarely use the 42 except on full shots and low runners where I'm stuck under something.

The 56 is my go to club for everythingunder 120 yards.

Was awesome, a good 50 yards out with the 56 and holed it for eagle on the par 4 seventh.

I have to say, the 56 is way better for me than the 42.
I rarely use the 42 except on full shots and low runners where I'm stuck under something.

The 56 is my go to club for everythingunder 120 yards.

Nice! I did the same thing from about 90 yards out with my 49 (eagle on a par 5 in a best ball tourney). It's when I fell in love with the 49. It's never been out of the bag since.

If anyone has a 37 they've grown tired of, PM me and we'll see what we can work out.

Nice! I did the same thing from about 90 yards out with my 49 (eagle on a par 5 in a best ball tourney). It's when I fell in love with the 49. It's never been out of the bag since.

If anyone has a 37 they've grown tired of, PM me and we'll see what we can work out.

I remember reading about it pages ago in this thread and wondering why it's taking me so long to get one!hahaha
I really need to try the 49, I find the 42 is not so useful although I use it on 3 par 3's.
Chipping needs a bit of mastering with it as the roll out is quite a lot.

ryebread, I would have liked to see how a 33* and a 29* niblick would have worked. I would guess the 33* would be about 10-15 yards longer than the 37* and the 29* would be 10-15 yards longer than the 33*, just a guess though. Might be interesting to try though.

majBC: Me too.

All: Does anyone know the head weight and overall weight of the 2009/2010 Niblicks in grams? I know the swing weight is playing at E0, but I'm curious about the head and overall weight. I'd like to find a set of irons that would play as close to the 2009/2010 Niblicks as possible and the weight is the one variable that I don't know.

If JB or one of the mods has a contact at Cleveland and could find out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've got a 49 head at home I can weigh tomorrow night when we get back

JMan: That would be awesome. Do you happen to know the shaft weight of the stock shaft?

Not off the top of my head, don't think I have the shaft anymore either.

The head is 311g

Not off the top of my head, don't think I have the shaft anymore either.

The head is 311g

Niblick + spinner = awesome

JMan and MajBC: Thanks a bunch. Those are both great information points.

That head is heavier than I expected. The shaft could be replicated, but that head would be very tough.

JMan and MajBC: Thanks a bunch. Those are both great information points.

That head is heavier than I expected. The shaft could be replicated, but that head would be very tough.

ryebread how is the 37* niblick working for you?
I suppose it would be difficult to find an iron head with a similar weight to the niblick, but most older players iron heads have more weight than the modern ones.

ryebread how is the 37* niblick working for you?
I suppose it would be difficult to find an iron head with a similar weight to the niblick, but most older players iron heads have more weight than the modern ones.

Yeah, the specs on the Niblicks will make that extremely hard to replicate. So far, so good on the 37. It's just as easy to hit on full shots as the 42. Mine does need a new grip though because this one is old and beaten up. I wonder though if I don't want a higher launching iron at that slot.

I've been intrigued by these the last couple years. Finally picked up a 56* on eBay. Sucks being a lefty, slim pickings.

Seems like everyone got super excited for these and then dropped them from the bag. Wonder if that will happen with the new Smart Sole wedges.

I've been intrigued by these the last couple years. Finally picked up a 56* on eBay. Sucks being a lefty, slim pickings.

Seems like everyone got super excited for these and then dropped them from the bag. Wonder if that will happen with the new Smart Sole wedges.

I still have a 49* head sitting on a shelf. Post MC it's going to get another run. They're just a hell of a lot of fun.

I think I'll keep my eye out for more of them.

Right now, I'm at:

Matching PW ~ 125 yards
Matching AW ~ 115 yards
Taylormade ATV 54* ~ 105 yards
Taylormade ATV 58* ~ 90 yards and in, everything around the green

I'm trying to get a better chipping game, and the thought of a few Niblicks would be pretty fun:

Niblick 42 ~ 120 yards, long running chips
Niblick 49 ~ 100 yards, average chips
Niblick 56 ~ green side bunkers, short chips, lob shots, etc

I found a 42 online as well, so I've got both that and the 56 coming in this weekend. Really curious to try a 49 so obviously if I find one I'll jump on it, but again the lefty thing, they can be rare.

Jarick: I've owned all 4 of the originals multiple times. The 42 and 49 are my favorites and permanent bag fixtures. The 42 is great for full shots and chipping and the 49 is great for full shots and pitching.

The 37 works well too if you prefer a lot of run out on chips. I still own it and am holding onto it for my kids to help them with their chipping when they get bigger.

The 56 and I have had a very polar relationship. For chips that need to stop, it is pretty good if played a bit forward in the stance. I struggled with it out of the bunker, hard pan, etc.. I'm better with a more traditional sand wedge.

I think the reason you don't see many of those in peoples' bags are the fact that they are so unconventional looking. Some people just don't like the attention and potential ribbing that comes from a club like this. I'll be the first to admit that they look terrible, but it's hard not to love them based on the results. For example, I pitched in from 40 yards for a birdie with the 49 the last time I played.

Got out for the first time with these two clubs this morning (42 and 56).

Had no time to warm up, so literally didn't use them until I was on the course. 9-hole with postage stamp greens.

1st: Tried to use the 42 to punch out of the rough about 100 yards out, but hit the tree branch. These things have a high launch. Used the 56 for a pitch shot from maybe 50 yards out, and it landed about pin high maybe 15 feet from the hole. Excellent shot for me, but a two putt triple bogey (first few shots were terrible).

2nd: Hit the gap wedge a bit fat off the tee from a 120 yard Par 3, so I was about 10 feet off the green and 40 feet from the hole. A nice effort, but left it about 10 feet short. Sank the putt for a part.

3rd: From maybe 80-90 yards out, took nearly a full swing with the 56 to the green. Actually went a bit past but landed on the green and moderately checked up. A FOUR PUTT doomed this round early. In my defense, a group of golfers let me play through mid-way through the hole and I was really rushed and nervous.

4th: Second shot went very long, ended up about 10 yards past an elevated green, but the 56 got me about 20 feet away from the hole. Got away with a two-putt bogey.

5th: Again, ended up past the hole, so I chipped up with the 56. I barely caught the green (elevated then steep downhill) so I had a long two-putt for something above par.

6th: Second shot was JUST short of the green, and another small elevated green, chipped up to three feet out and SAVED PAR.

7th: At this point, nobody was behind me, so I played two balls. My first shot went 15 feet past the green, second shot with a club down was a bit fat and fell short. I left myself short with the second ball pitch and two-putted for bogey, and with the second ball I tried to chip it with the 42 and again was way short and two-putted for bogey.

8th: Played one ball, and found myself about 105 yards out. Full swing with the 56 went PAST the hole and checked up on the fringe. Another two or three putts or something.

9th: Driver behaved so I actually drove to about 58 yards out (GPS). Got nervous and did a half swing with the 56, went past the green. Dropped a second ball and tried again, landed about 5 feet away. Of course I sank it for my first unofficial birdie (i.e. mulligans), but it doesn't count, so the hunt continues.

After shooting an honest +15 on the par 35 course, which is about average for me WITHOUT being honest (counting penalty shots and what not), I spent 15 minutes on the practice green.

The 42 was a little disappointing. My chips (low to the ground running chips) were unpredictable and honestly were off target somehow. Obviously has to be the swing. But I spent a couple hours working on my 7/8/9/P chips and my 7 was MUCH closer to the holes. I had to hit the 42 a lot harder, which is okay, and maybe I'll adapt. But on longer chips it was short and on shorter chips it went long. It seems I could probably just have more success with pure chipping just practicing with irons.

The 56 was solid. I normally use an ATV 58* for sand and lob work, and this was easier to hit and stuck to the greens better. Nothing hit thin or shanked or anything. Distance was at least as good as the 58 on full swings as well. Definitely staying in the bag for now.

Back