Your Driver Shaft Length

I cut my S2 down from 46 to 44.5" and slapped a winn lite on it. I don't really notice a swing weight change, and the accuracy is better for me. Too bad the flex is still too light because I got fitted for it while having a bum shoulder, but that is a problem for another day. The 1.5" I lopped off will get this driver through the season for me before I step into a driver that is a proper fit. Based on my swinging of clubs, 44.5-45" is my sweet spot for length and consistency.

46" For some reason I hit this longer driver straighter than a more standard shorter length. Weird I know.

Sean -- I am 6'2" tall however I have arms like a chimp. That is why I am more consistent with the shorter shaft length. 44.5 is my best shaft length.
LOL! That cracked me up Gray! My pro had me hit a 44.5 driver and just laughed. :)

i have always cut my drivers down to 44.25 at this length my dispersion is much tighter and because i hit solidly in the center of the face i gain more distance. I do have a question about swing weight the higher the number the lower the weight or vice versa

Sean -- I am 6'2" tall however I have arms like a chimp. That is why I am more consistent with the shorter shaft length. 44.5 is my best shaft length.

I'm with you, sorta - 5'11" but my wingspan is something like 6'2" or 6'3". I just re-shafted my '09 Burner with an Aldila NV 55, and had them bring it down to 45.25" which I think is an inch shorter than the stock shaft in that club. I shortened it with better accuracy in mind, and I hope it works out that way. I sprained the heck out of my wrist, so I haven't been able to try my newly shafted driver. I'm dying to play some golf, or, hell, just swing a club..

I am 6-3 and have a 35 inch sleeve sounds similar. I laugh when I see guys whose arms barely reach their pants pockets, I can scratch my knee without hardly bending over.

I am 6 feet and the driver has a 45.75" shaft

Just finished up my 10,5* nickent 4dx with 44" stiff aldida shaft, and tested it briefly on the course. It feels kind of funny, but I can`t argue with the % of fairway hits. Looking forward to further testing!

I chopped .5" off my Superfast and it became a beast. It was a beast before the chop but I was a little all over the place. Now I swing with much more confidence and accuracy.

I do have a question about swing weight the higher the number the lower the weight or vice versa

i didnt know but was curious so i googled:

golf.about.com:

"The actual weight of a golf club is expressed in grams. Swingweight is expressed as "C9" or "D1" or some other combination of letter and number (more on that in a moment). Those measurements are taken using a swingweight scale, the contraption pictured at the top of this article."

best definition i think here:
"Now imagine swinging that 3-iron with the lead tape on the clubhead, then at the middle of the shaft, then on the grip. How much weight you feel you are swinging will be different depending on where the lead tape has been added - even though the total weight of the club is identical in all three instances. That's swingweight."

"The letters used are A, B, C, D, E, F and G, and the numerals 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 (G goes up to 10). Each combination of letter and number is known as a "swingweight point," and there are 73 possible swingweight measurements.
A0 is the lightest measurement, progressing up to the heaviest, G10. If you feel your clubs are too light in the swing, then you'll want to go up the scale; too heavy, down the scale."

**so after reading article you pretty much aim to get all the clubs to "feel" the same, so irons are weighted differently. didnt know that - pretty cool

I cut my driver shaft from 45.75 to 44.5 ans is the best decision I have done in long time. The accuracy is alot better and I dont see any distance lost. Know I feel that I really compress the ball every time I hit the ball.

I have my R11 playing at 45.5", which is stock length, but I upgraded the shaft. I am contemplating going a little shorter though.

Sorry to resurface this thread but I am going through this same process at the moment.
I have the r11 with regular stiff shaft. I like it a lot but I fid it difficult to be consistent.
I tried the wood 3 r11 and love it. Good control - straight shot.
So I decided to swap the shaft.
Put the shorter shaft from the 3 wood r11 into the driver.
The result is great - same distance but much more control. I basically put all me drives within 20 yards dispersion.

I am 6'2" - long harms.

The r11 driver plays 45.75". The 3 wood plays 43"
The r11 shaft is 43" and the 3 wood shaft is 40.75". I am not measuring the tip inside the club head.
Therefore the club head for the driver accounts for 2.75".

By swapping the shaft - the driver played 40.75" + 2.75" = 43.5".

I would like to play 44.5" - I think this would be a good compromise. And I can always cut more if this is not enough.
So I think I will cut 1.25" from the butt of the driver shaft and this will do the trick.

Before I do this - tomorrow I'll go measure my club head speed with the wood shaft in the driver to see if I lost any speed. I am normally at 117 mph with driver - I am hoping to be above 115 mph tomorrow. I might actually be more - my swing is very vertical - so a shorter shaft makes it easier for me to swing it. We'll see ...

Let me know what you think.

Frederic

I cut my R11 shaft down to 45" and I have been supper happy with it!

I cut my R11 shaft down to 45" and I have been supper happy with it!

I've been having some driver problems lately so i started gripping down on my driver about an inch and a half and everything started to go great. Its currently at 45.25" but i think i will cut it down to 44".

Last edited:
My R7425TP is shafted at 44 1/4".

It's long, it's accurate and it's staying at that length. :thumb:

6' tall. Callway FT Tour 9.5 with a 45" Diamana shaft.

My Cleveland SL290 is 45.75. I have no plans to cut it down.

45.5 inches

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I'm 5'11'' with long arms. Having the Superfast cut down from 46.5'' to 45'' as we speak.
Hoping that will give me more consistency, I was having all sorts of trouble hitting the center of the clubface.

I'm 5'11'' with long arms. Having the Superfast cut down from 46.5'' to 45'' as we speak.
Hoping that will give me more consistency, I was having all sorts of trouble hitting the center of the clubface.

Did you mess with the swing weight, or did you just trim and re grip? I have the SF 2.0 and plan on trimming it down to 45in. I think im just going to trim and regrip, leaving the swing weight as is.

So if i cut my Launcher DST down from stock 45.75 to 44.75 I would drop the swing weight down from D4 to D0...which would essentialy make it feel like the club head was lighter on my swing right? But if I put a little heavier grip on it because the stock grip is super light weight It would bring the swing weight up some more correct? Anybody have an idea of how much the swing weight would come up after regripping?(obviousely it varies on grip weight put is there a pattern? And is a lighter swing weight good or bad ...advantages/disadvantages...thanks

i'm 5'8" and i swing a aldila wasabi 60g at 46". took me a while to get used to it, but i'm hitting it better than my 44". go figure

It's take awhile to figure out but I've finally settled on 44". I get better contact and more distance then with even 44.5 let alone 45"+. We did have to monkey about with the swing weight as I need it brought back up to D3 after the length adjustment. Ping's just working on it now actually...

I am going to bump this back up. I am reshafting my R11 in a few weeks and I had thought of taking it to 45 or 44.75. I would rather be accurate than long. I think stock it is 45.75. When I do the Fairway I may take it to 43. Whats yalls thoughts?

Back