Your Driver Shaft Length

I am going to bump this back up. I am reshafting my R11 in a few weeks and I had thought of taking it to 45 or 44.75. I would rather be accurate than long. I think stock it is 45.75. When I do the Fairway I may take it to 43. Whats yalls thoughts?

Haven't shortened my driver , but I'm only playing it at 45" and I choke up about an inch anyway, so I'm probably all right there. I did however cut my fairway down from 44" to 43" and it made a noticeable positive difference in all aspects of play with that particular club.

mine is 44.5" took a little off for control

Since my last post I got a full length Matrix (46" shaft) in my R11. Total length is @ 48"

Sent from my DROID X2

I'm considering doing this, too. Currently my VRS is playing 45.75" and it's just too long. I was more comfortable with the length of my 910 D3 at 45". Might get the Attas cut down to play at 45", too. Tempted to play a little shorter, but I'm scared!

I think 45 is about perfect given that I am 6 ft 1. I had one at 44.75 and could groove the sweet spot though.

I have noticed that some shaft/head combos mask additional shaft length better. My Amp is 45.75 and I'm hitting the sweet spot far more than some other drivers of similar length (e.g. Callaway Razr Fit, Hawk or X Black, Tour Edge XCG5, Adams Fast11, etc.). Another driver like this that I've hit is the Nike Machspeed black. For whatever reason, I have virtually no issues finding the sweet spot with it.

45.5.... Wish it was 46.5.

I'm 6' 1", I've experimented with a variety of different lengths and found 45" is perfect for me.

45.25. Might prefer to have it at 45, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it to cut it down a quarter of an inch.

Actually a heavier grip, while increasing total weight, will make your swingweight lighter. Swingweight really suggests how heavy the clubhead end of the club will feel. Some people really are not sensitive to swingweight changes and 4 points may not be noticeable to you. The simplest way to add swingweight points is to add lead tape to the clubhead.

So if i cut my Launcher DST down from stock 45.75 to 44.75 I would drop the swing weight down from D4 to D0...which would essentialy make it feel like the club head was lighter on my swing right? But if I put a little heavier grip on it because the stock grip is super light weight It would bring the swing weight up some more correct? Anybody have an idea of how much the swing weight would come up after regripping?(obviousely it varies on grip weight put is there a pattern? And is a lighter swing weight good or bad ...advantages/disadvantages...thanks

had the superfast and cut it down to gain more control and turned it into a piece of lumber,didnt go to town correcting swing weight etc and it felt way to heavy (even though it was probably lighter in weight) before i cut it down i gauged it on the range and it used to bomb.

44.75 is my final answer. I love it.

Shorter shafts help with dispersion and I wouldgive up some yardage for accuracy! I am 6'4 and have many drivers and the longest ist 45.5 and That is the absolute longest I woud ever play! I start feeling there is way to much distance between me and the ball anything really over 45"!

I'm at 44" and can play up to 44.5. If I go longer, I start to miss the center of the face too much for my liking. Interestingly, I tend to get a little steep if I go below a 44".

I play at 45" and thinking about 44.75"

44" and Ive never been longer.

after getting properly fitted, 44.75" is what I rock

Maybe a dumb question: After cutting the shaft, does the club play/feel different than if you just choked down to the same point instead of cutting?

Maybe a dumb question: After cutting the shaft, does the club play/feel different than if you just choked down to the same point instead of cutting?

Assuming one was cutting from the butt end rather than tipping, then in theory it would. However that was assuming that you could replicate the same grip spot each time and that it would simulate the same grip spot one would have when using the shorter shaft.

Mine is cut down to 44".

For those asking, somewhere I saw some numbers quoted once that said on an Iron-Byron setup, cutting 1/2" (or it may have been 1") off the shaft resulted in a distance loss of like 1.7 yards.

For me, if the PGA pros think playing a shaft of off-the-shelf length is a bad idea, then so do I. So I plan on cutting mine down some every time.

I recently switched from the Cleveland SL290 to the Classic which is 1/2" shorter @ 45.25. I like the shorter length much better!

I recently switched from the Cleveland SL290 to the Classic which is 1/2" shorter @ 45.25. I like the shorter length much better!

My preferred driver length is 44.5 which reminds me, I never cut my RBZ driver down to that length :bulgy-eyes:. Since we moved, I don't have my work bench which I had my vice attached to so I'm in a pickle.

Back