Your Driver Shaft Length

Yep I cut down the SF 3W as did FLTC too. Cut it down to 43" and found it much more to my liking.

OEM's correct. I put an xstiff axivcore in my superfast 3w and had it cut down to 43". I lost a bit of distance by doing so but I am 10x's more accurate.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

I replaced y stock 3w shaft with a prolaunch platinum and cut it down to 43. Im a lot more accurate but it could be the shaft too. Im going to experiment on my dymo with a shorter shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A golfer's ability to consistently hit the center of the driver face has a lot to do with hand-eye coordination. Players that have what we call 'good feel' and have the ability to know where the club head is during the down swing are the players that do well with longer driver shafts.

The last couple of years I’ve been playing the Burner with a 46.25” shaft and found choking down about 1.5” has actually helped my distance. Not sure why, maybe it’s allowing me to swing faster with confidence or just better center contact as you say?

i know for me that when i have a shorter shaft in the long sticks that i feel like i can get over the ball better. when i feel like i can get over the ball better, i usually strike it better.

I have one each at 44", 44.5", 45" and one at 46". The shorter driver is a fairway finder the longest is for scrambles. It goes further but not as consistent.

When reducing the length of the driver, apart from the swing weight change, wouldn't there be a danger of the swing itself becoming a bit more upright ?
Some of the trainers seem to advocate a little flatter or round swing instead of an upright swing for distance.. Hence my question since it appears to be related.

When reducing the length of the driver, apart from the swing weight change, wouldn't there be a danger of the swing itself becoming a bit more upright ?
Some of the trainers seem to advocate a little flatter or round swing instead of an upright swing for distance.. Hence my question since it appears to be related.

That's a very good question and I think it boils down to whether you're trying to fit the club to a swing or fitting the swing to a club.

I understand what you mean about a flatter swing relating to distance and I went through the same thing while experimenting with different driver lengths. For me, I settled on a 44 inch driver because it gave me the best distance and accuracy without having to adjust my swing. I'm the type of person who likes to have one basic swing for all of my clubs and although I could see more distance from a longer shaft, the flatter swing I needed to use just didn't feel comfortable and the results were too spotty. Not only that, but it felt like I had a completely different swing for my driver and I didn't really care for that. This game is hard enough with just one swing so I guess you could say that I fit my driver to my swing.

Playing 44" in both right now.

I wonder how many of the guys on tour play 45.5" or 46" if any of them. I know this goes back to comparing us to them and for me its not comparison but Id be curious if any of them play a long shaft.

I wonder how many of the guys on tour play 45.5" or 46" if any of them. I know this goes back to comparing us to them and for me its not comparison but Id be curious if any of them play a long shaft.

I don't know about all of them, but every time I hear about a specifc player and their driver, it has always been 45" or shorter.

I don't know about all of them, but every time I hear about a specifc player and their driver, it has always been 45" or shorter.

Same here. Either 44.5" or 45" seems to be the norm.

I'm guessing the pros would be more likely to lean towards a shorter driver as length isn't their primary concern?

I'm guessing the pros would be more likely to lean towards a shorter driver as length isn't their primary concern?

I would agree. Hitting it 5 yards further is not as important to them as hitting a couple more fairways a round, especially when they are all getting it out there 275+ anyways.

I would agree. Hitting it 5 yards further is not as important to them as hitting a couple more fairways a round, especially when they are all getting it out there 275+ anyways.

Seems to me that 5 yards shorter but in the fairway would be great for anyone from a pro to a beginner?

And I agree about the pros typically using shorter drivers. According to Golf Digest's WITB for Dustin Johnson in 2009 he was using a 45" inch shaft in his R9. Also, Justin Rose's R11 is 44 5/8."

I'm cutting mine down as soon as the grip I ordered gets here. Think I'm going 44.75."

I have the Cobra ZL with cut down shaft of 45", for some reason i can't hit anything longer:clap:

i believe phil mickelson was at his best off the tee with a 44'' driver. dunno why he doesn't utilize that more often.

i believe phil mickelson was at his best off the tee with a 44'' driver. dunno why he doesn't utilize that more often.

Not like length is an issue for him either, although Phil might think his short game can get him out of a few sticky situations.

What is he playing his driver at now?

i dunno, i'm sure JB can get that info.

So maybe hes been playing 44" all along? In the name of the hot list wtf

So maybe hes been playing 44" all along? In the name of the hot list wtf

no, i don't think he's been playing with it all along, but again, i do not know. holy hot list JB, can you get an answer for us?

Last year the average driver shaft length on the PGA Tour was just over 44.5 inches.

I've been playing my new driver at 45.5 vs my old one at 46.5 and the consistancy is WAY better. I really think I'm actually longer as a total average based on more consistant contact with the shorter shaft.

Just got my cut to 44.5" and re-gripped with the tacki-mac white. Can't wait to get out there and hit this baby now.

Mickelson didnt start playing 44" till Whistling Straits, and he ended up having worse accuracy. He didn't want to but Butch Harmon talked him in to it. That was probably the first problem, anytime youre doing something you don't want to it usually doesn't end up well.

Back