Which Neighbor Are You?

GIF by SundanceTV

I think I can strike up casual conversation with a half dozen neighbors on my street, with an occasional wave to folks I don't know going for a walk or mowing their lawn. Nothing like the neighborhood I grew up in, though. That as an Italian neighborhood, with front porches. Everyone knew your name and what you were up to . . .

I'm the neighbour that taunts my cul-de-sac with BBQ smells and Aussie rock blasting in the backyard.

I don't have neighbors. There are pros and cons.
I'm "kind of" the same. Except I have neighbors but they are all part timers. So, I am the "here's a key to the house, keep an eye on it" neighbor.

House to the left, across and behind, all 3 are part-timers. One lives in Michigan most of the year, one Costa Rica, and the other in California. I have keys to all three houses and typically keep an eye on all three, especially going in to to Hurricane season.

I'm the neighbor that waves.
My dad was the neighbor that in one afternoon would fix your car, your lawnmower, and your cat. No charge.

Depends... there are a few neighbors that I know... and then there are some that I don't. To the ones I don't - I'm the always friendly enough to wave guy. To the ones I do - I'm the guy with all of the tools needed for just about any job, and the knowledge to help with that job.

We moved in here 5 years ago, I know all of the neighbors that were here when we got here and some of the new ones. I always introduce myself, but not everyone wants to be part of something more than their family.

Reactions: J4U
I'm the neighbor who owns a pickup truck LOL

We also have horses so often give neighborhood kids riding lessons
Every neighborhood needs one of those! Happy I have one a couple doors down for me to ask!

I'm the neighbor who owns a pickup truck LOL

We also have horses so often give neighborhood kids riding lessons
In my neighborhood, EVERYBODY has a pickup truck. Out of the 30 or so homes, there are maybe 2 that don’t have a pickup in the driveway.

I am the neighbor that yells at his kids to go in the house when they are fighting.

Outside of that, I am the guy that talks to one neighbor, and thats it.

Not the old guy, but we've been there long enough to raise our kids and now have mostly new neighbors with a bunch of new little kids. I yell at the couple of older kids to slow down (even though its a cul-de-sac and 25 mph shouldn't be a consideration).

We live in neighborhood that most folks know all others. We share cooked meals with each other and stop and talk while taking a walk. We know each by first name. We are willing to help anyone and everyone, just like our neighbors are willing to do the same. I raise a garden and vegetables are shared willingly. I enjoy the family type atmosphere we have in our neighborhood.

Keep to myself.

I’m in country residential so none of the houses are particularly close to one another.

I wish I had more neighbors like me -- Car guy -a couple of Corvettes, golfs 5 days a week, drinks red wine, has neighbors over for BBQs , not afraid to come out of the house and talk to neighbors, and since I am old.. up to pee a lot and takes that time to be a watchful eye in the neighborhood cul de sac security at various times. Also knows which neighbor to call in case of emergency -

I'm definitely the friendly smile and wave type neighbor. If my old junky snowblower is working and we get a pile of snow I'll sometimes snowblow the neighbors driveways if we get dumped on. I'm not much of a small talk person. My wife typically knows them better and shes not usually shy about offering my services so its surprising that i havent really worked on any neighbors PCs at all

I'm the neighbor who probably needs to mow my yard

Not the old guy, but we've been there long enough to raise our kids and now have mostly new neighbors with a bunch of new little kids. I yell at the couple of older kids to slow down (even though its a cul-de-sac and 25 mph shouldn't be a consideration).
Same here. There's no need to be doing 40 on a 200 yard long cul-de-sac.

Only have two nearby neighbors. I moved in about 27 years ago and I’m still the new guy. I guess I’m the one with no unique skills but willing to help out however is needed.

I’m the neighbor that will always assist the neighbor across the street who is quite the handyman. He’s always doing some project and a second pair of hands helps. Always been the heavy lifter guy for him and others too.

I'm pretty handy and own all the tools I need for home repair or routine car repair. Teaching both son-in-laws how to do things for themselves.
Friendly with the neighbors but only get asked to help out occasionally. I try to let none of this interfere with my golf schedule!

I am a "Hello" neighbor kind of neighbor.

I’m handy and our neighbors know it so since January I’ve installed a new doorbell cam and a WIFI deadbolt for two different neighbors. I also recently repaired a flat tire(nail in the tread) for my next door neighbor as he has a Tesla Model Y without a spare tire and he was leaving for the airport early the next morning. Many just ask if they can borrow tools. Most of my career was with 3M in their Automotive/Marine Aftermarket Division so I’m a pro at things like buffing/polishing boats/cars but I try to limit how many I offer help to in that area. I’m happy to give instruction and let my neighbors borrow my paint refinishing tools and even give them the product(leftover samples) to buff their vehicle, but the days of me polishing an entire SUV for a 6 pack of beer are over. I have too many of my own toys to keep shiny. :)

I’m also the neighbor that has a kegerator that I’m happy to share so that often attracts a small crowd for things like Monday Night Football.

Last edited:
Until last year, we lived in the same house for 38 years. We were the neighborly neighbor. The one who would give you the shirt off our back. The neighbor where all the kids in the neighborhood were known and welcome. If you were a kid in our neighborhood you probably had your first experience with an animal with one of our rabbits or dogs. You also spent many hours in our yard and your parents knew that if you were there everything was fine. We were there long enough to see generations of kids grow up and we still keep in touch with many of them and they do with us. If you were an adult neighbor, you could come over and ring our doorbell anytime day or night and know we would answer and help.

Oh, and if you were a neighbor that moved somewhere else, we were the neighbor you stayed in contact with, and visa versa. Even if you moved 30 years ago. We were the neighbors who helped organize a neighborhood group, interacted with the city when our neighborhood had issues with traffic, and squatters, organized help for neighbors who had needs, and so on. We were the neighbors who would watch your house and/or take care of your pets when you were away.

As for those of you who don't know your neighbors and don't want to, the ones you only see as they drive down the street, remotely open their garage door, then disappear. A funny thing happened during the COVID lockdown. Many of you folks got lonely and we were there to befriend you. Several of you have explicitly said you wished you had been open to such friendships years ago.

Last year this month we moved into a new neighborhood in another region of the country where there are about 100 homes. In our first year, we've gotten to know over 100 of our new neighbors well enough that we are on a first-name basis, and yes we know all your names. You range in age from 1-88 years old. We know at least some of your story and you know some of ours. ...It's starting all over again.

Last edited:
Where we live , say hello , and that’s about it …. Couple will speak to and have chats but by and large most keep to themselves … lots of office dwellers or people who work online from home …
Not practical,or seen out in garden doing something menial ….

As for me , will help if asked , have built pergolas , and assorted garden structures including furniture etc…

Watching some people with tools they have clearly bought , makes me nervous . You have to know limitations ,of your ability

No idea who my neighbors are.. but just moved here. Also, love being on my deck more than out front…. The peace is amazing.

Back