What's your internet speed?

2776335555.png

We have pretty fast internet here in Southern Minn.

Speedtest.net is going to break when someone tries to test their Fiber connection.

My 4G phone speed was almost 30 vs my home wifi at 15! Home upload is 1.5 vs .8 on the phone. All enough for me. No games, though I do stream movies occasionally.

I heard somewhere that the speeds will still be limited by hardware whether that's the modem, router, or computer's hardware I don't know.

The limiting factor is that the fibre optic cable ends at a junction box on side of house then it is a copper wire to the router from there.

When they get round to getting the fibre straight into the router the speeds will be massive.

I heard somewhere that the speeds will still be limited by hardware whether that's the modem, router, or computer's hardware I don't know.

The limiting factor is that the fibre optic cable ends at a junction box on side of house then it is a copper wire to the router from there.

When they get round to getting the fibre straight into the router the speeds will be massive.

Both very true comments, but they will still be limited by the network structure within the house - if a connected device or the cabling is only capable of a certain speed, then regardless of how fast the connection is, the device will only operate at the maximum speed determined by the structure

It is like having a speed limit of 70mph, but the fastest your car can go is 50mph - your car will not travel faster than it is physically capable of even though the road will allow it

So what kind of speeds would we see, at max? As in how much will the copper wires slow it down?

At school
2705609074.png

At home:
2781722571.png

From what I have heard google fiber uses a different version of speedtest to measure speeds. I wish New York would get it but thanks to Time Warner that will never happen, hell I am lucky my town got fios.

So what kind of speeds would we see, at max? As in how much will the copper wires slow it down?

On a wireless-N network, I think top speed would be 300mb/s. And since we both use laptops most of the time, we shouldn't expect anything better than that. It's still 15 to 20 times faster than what Time Warner does.

I think Cat 5 and Cat 6 cable has faster speeds than you think. I think Cat 6 is designed for gigabit speeds. The slowness of cable comes more from so many people on the cable at the same time. Whether fiber will have that same kind of effect, I don't know. But here is a video from the first customer they connected in Kansas City. Look at about 1:15 of the video for the speed test.

750mbps is SICK I cant even click that fast!! Need some TX love with this one!

750mbps is SICK I cant even click that fast!! Need some TX love with this one!

It's coming to Austin. Just a little south of you!

This is my awesome Time Warner Road Runner Turbo. It's supposed to be 30 MB/s

2805789853.png

This is my awesome Time Warner Road Runner Turbo. It's supposed to be 30 MB/s

2805789853.png

Ah..... So it's not just me. I have TWC and absolutely hate them. I'm supposed to have 50M service and about half the time I feel like I'm on dial up or worse. They've been out for service calls about 40 times trying to figure it out and none of them can.

I wish someone else was available, I would switch in a minute.

Is the service slowest when everyone gets home?

I think unless you get business class cable Internet and associated QOS guarantees, you will be forced (per TOS) to live with the "up to" part.

I'm willing to bet there are a few people in your neighborhood torrenting around the clock.

Ah..... So it's not just me. I have TWC and absolutely hate them. I'm supposed to have 50M service and about half the time I feel like I'm on dial up or worse. They've been out for service calls about 40 times trying to figure it out and none of them can.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I am just waiting for Google FIber to call to schedule my installation. Hopefully in a month or so.

After upgrading our internet recently, here's our stats:

2806608048.png

2806616196.png

I cannot wait until we move into our new house where we can have fiber. Here's our standard DSL, fasted non-TWC possible in our area

2806627652.png

2806644147.png

Is the service slowest when everyone gets home?

I think unless you get business class cable Internet and associated QOS guarantees, you will be forced (per TOS) to live with the "up to" part.

I'm willing to bet there are a few people in your neighborhood torrenting around the clock.

There's no correlation to time, it seems. The excuse I get is that the lines out here are old and the levels require constant adjustment to keep them within acceptable levels.

2806773836.png

Not too shabby. Sure beats the days of CompuServe using a 300 baud modem!

My speed tonight. Wow is all I can say. This is effing terrible.

2807723528.png

Ah, interesting... Do you know which of your neighbors also has the same service?

There's no correlation to time, it seems. The excuse I get is that the lines out here are old and the levels require constant adjustment to keep them within acceptable levels.

Still sucking . . .

2812260372.png

Back