I'm generally a 'hit the links' type of golfer because I'm not a good planner... however Like @jnug my 1st hole becomes my warm up and I'm behind the game at that point.
If I do get a chance to at least hit 5 or 10 at the range I can get my swing groove in and I'm generally good to go, but much more than that and I get too over confident and kill the first hole anyway... it has to be a happy medium!

I like to hit the range to at least get a few 1/2 and 3/4 wedges in and a few drivers, usually to see if I'm using the driver or 3 iron off the first tee. My home course doesn't have a range, tho, so I try to stretch out as much as possible on the first tee. Still, even with all that stretching it can take til the back 9 before my swing comes around.

I tend to start off really hot and get worse as the round continues, so the range doesn't help me much.

My last round was without hitting the range first, and it went fine from the first shot onwards, and in fact was my best round ever.

I did want to hit the range first, but wasn't there early enough, so just spent the time on the putting green instead, which resulted in good putting (36 for the round). Loosened up with some stretching. It helped that I had been on the range the previous day and had thus gained confidence that my swing was not out of whack.

I will almost never hit the range before a round. I figure I only have a small number of good shots per day and I don't want to waste them :D

I rarely ever hit the range before the round. The practice green at my home course is within a few feet of the first tee and I rarely take the time to do any chipping or putting unless I'm needing to kill a little time.
My normal routine is to swing a couple of wedges or a club with a weight on it a few times to stretch and then tee it up. When playing with my buddies, our usual rule is that we take two shots off the first tee.

I prefer to hit a few warm-up shots just to get some tempo into my swing before that first tee shot. Usually with a wedge and a driver. I like to at least hit a few chips and pitches to smooth out my timing. I like to hit a few tee shots to see if I can match my wedge tempo with the much longer driver.

Playing only a handful of times a year over the last couple years I pretty much have to hit the range before I play. Like to give myself an hour to hit a small bucket then putt and chip beforehand.

Always hit the range & putting green before a round. If not, my back will be completely shot before the 3rd hole! I need to stretch & loosen up as my herniated disc doesn't like me too much

I have never played well after going to the range first. For me there's my game and practice (range).............

Warmup before a round

Warmup before a round

Hey guys,

I've never really had a consistent warmup routine before a round. How many balls do you guys hit at the range before a round? Which clubs do you warmup with? How early do you show up? Do you do any drills? I'm trying to establish a good set routine before a round and just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

I've been recently going to the gym about 2.5 hours before my game, then home, quick shower, bite, then about 20 balls, 5-10 five footers(always finish with 3 holed putts in a row) and go.

Its only starting to pay off now, but a consistent routine will distract you more than help for the first few times. Thats where people give up.

If I have arrived to the course with time to warm up it usually goes something like this. I hit a small bucket of balls which is somewhere in the 35-45 ball range. I start with my pitching wedge, then 8 iron, then 5 iron, then hybrid, then the driver. Once I get through that, with the remaining balls I hit some half and 3/4 wedge shots. Then if there is time I'll make a few practice putts. Thats about it really, nothing special.

Its really up to you and what you feel you need to work on.

I usually show up about a hour early to give myself plenty of time. I will usually hit 5-10 with a scoring wedge, 8 or 9 iron, then go to 5-10 of a long iron, 5 or 6 iron, some with a hybrid/wood, some drivers and end with 3 or so good wedge shots. Then chip and putt till the tee time. I practice long chips, short chips, some lag putting and a lot of short putts 8 ft and in to get some confidence going.

Just what I do. Hope it helps.

Seriously. Tappin'.

I usually just putt a few and then maybe hit a few chips or short pitches just to get some feel going. I don't usually hit many range balls before a round if any. I will do some stretching and just try to get mentally ready to play. If I don't know how to hit the ball I am not going to figure it out 15 minutes before I tee off.

I suppose it depends on the day for me. Most of the time, I take about 6 swings on the first tee box and go, LOL

If I have time, I would much rather warm up with chips/pitches/putting.

I suppose it depends on the day for me. Most of the time, I take about 6 swings on the first tee box and go, LOL

If I have time, I would much rather warm up with chips/pitches/putting.

Same for me. I only find it distracting to maybe "fix" those little errors just before a round. I go up to the tee box and just do it. Visualize the shot and smooth sailing. Works much better than hitting a bucket of balls before.

In the past, my weekend morning warmup usually involved re-hydrating from the night before and hoping to keep my breakfast down long enough for it to soak up the booze. Now that I'm getting old, I like to make sure I test the clubhouse toilet paper, then stretch for a good 5-7 mins, and hit a few 3/4 shots and chips.

Same for me. I only find it distracting to maybe "fix" those little errors just before a round. I go up to the tee box and just do it. Visualize the shot and smooth sailing. Works much better than hitting a bucket of balls before.

I hear ya. What happens if you have an awful range session before your round? I'm kind of like you, I just get up and go, and if I need to, figure things out as I go.

I generally show up an hour early to any round, so here's my routine:

First, I putt for a short while, until I get the green speed and feel down, making sure to work on 3, 6, and 10 footers (always finish by making 1 of each). Then I chip for just a few minutes, just to sort of get my body warmed. When I move on to the actual range, I work my way through the bag, hitting about 10-12 shots with each club I hit (finish a good one). I start with the 52°, then 9i, then 7i, then 5i, then 3w, and finally, hit a few with the driver

It all depends if I have time and went the last time I played. If I am sore like last weekend at the Outing, a warm up is great to loosen up. I can most of the time just head to the tee and work it out during the round. I do like to see how the driver is going to do on the range though.

15-20 balls. I don't care or pay attention to how I hit them since it usually has no bearing on my round anyway. Just looking to warm up my muscles. I might putt, but usually I see the first tee and just want to get out there, so I skip that part a lot of the time.

I play better when I get the chance to hit a few at the range prior to the round. Just 20-30 and always finish with the driver so I feel ready for the first tee. I will putt and chip a little if there is time but the putting green at my home course always seems to play slower than the greens on the course.

For me, it depends on the time and who I am playing with. If just a casual round after work, it is practice swings and go. If on the weekend, I get there 45 minutes prior to tee time and hit 20 balls with wedge & 7 iron then short game work for 10-15 minutes.

I have to hit 15-20 balls or the first 2-3 holes are ugly. I never spend any time on the putting green. It's just demoralizing haha.

I need to get a set routine.

Back