any suggestions to losen your back?

I putt and chip and then take 2 clubs and take a few swings, then stretch. I rarely ever go to the range unless it is before a tournament. The focus of my warm up is to make sure I don't have that stiff/cold first swing that results in a terrible shot.

I warm up my shoulders and do some dynamic stretching first. Then I go chip and put (more chipping than putting). I find that chipping around helps me groove my swing prior to a round.

Usually I only have time to stretch and take a few warm up swings. I'm also in the camp that believes it's against your best interests to hit a 100 range balls to get warmed up, although a few never hurt. I find my swing is usually in its best groove if I get to warm up (as in hit all of those 100 balls) then play a few hours later. My body has recouped some, but the muscle memory from those shots is still fresh.

For instance, when I was a the demo day on saturday, I was there for over two hours and who knows how many balls I ended up hitting, but it was a lot. I leave the demo day, go buy my irons, go home and enjoy their presence for a while. After a few hours I can no longer stand it and simply must take them golfing. My swing has felt better, but i can't remember when. Everything was smooth and in place because I had built up the muscle memory at the demo day, but had rested enough so the body wasn't tired.

any suggestions to losen your back?

My back is usually tight too. I tend to take a club and swing at shoulder height, not too fast!, to get the top part loosened. Swing too fast and you'll definitely overstretch.

Need the range before a round

Need the range before a round

How many of us have to go to the range even for a small bucket before hitting the links? In my case, unless it is a practice round where I am almost using the course like a range I must go to the range or I have to be willing to give up at least the 1st hole and maybe more. Either I will drive it poorly off 1 or my first approach shot will likely be a dog.

I need the range too. Sometimes though it hurts me. I think it boils down to making sure stretch yourself out good and have the right mindset. Well for me haha.

I have to. Absolute must for me now. Even if there's not a full range I'm hoping for something to allow me to chip and putt just to get my muscles ready to go

I have to. Been working on my swing with a coach the past few months and I need a few balls to get those thoughts together. Also, even though I try to stretch, I do a lot of weights on the weekdays so I'm really stiff. I need it to loosen out.

If I don't hit any balls first I am usually costing myself at least 2-3 strokes. Usually I will try to split a small bag with one of my playing partners an make sure I hit 10-15 balls.

Never. The closest I get to the range before a round is passing it on the way to the chipping green. Never found much good in warming up on the range, but doing so on the chipping/pitching green has paid huge dividends.

I need the rabge or the first 3 holes can go either way....Usually south.....

it would be nice to hit a few ball before the round, but some of the courses I go to here don't have a range, so it's a few practice swings at the tee box, and away we go!

I am in the majority. I have to warm up. Usually just a half bucket, mostly 8 irons, PW, 54*, and lastly a few driver hits to get into the proper mentality.

I just hit a few into the net in my backyard, when I get to the course I just hit a couple 15-25 yard pitches until everyone else is ready

I should have asked about the chipping areas as well. Thanks to those that are filling that blank in for me. I have often wondered if I could get away with a few chips myself.

I've gotten out of the habit of hitting the range before rounds. These past few sunday mornings me and the pops go out early(7 or before) and just wake up and go. And amazingly two weeks in a row I've broke 80s so I really think I'm done with the range for a bit haha

Several courses I play do NOT have a range. I love to warm-up if only 3-4 balls for PW, 8i, 6i, FW and driver each. Otherwise, the first 2-3 holes have to make do. And, yes, I lose strokes because of lack of a range to warm-up.

Absolutely have to hit the range before a round. And I can't be rushed. I need to get to the golf course early enough to go through my routine. This includes making sure I have what I need at a leisurely place. At my club I like to BS for a couple minutes with Levi, the young assistant usually manning the pro shop, then I generally use the facilities (I'm old), wet a towel (if I don't have a wet towel I'm pissed), grab a bucket, load the cart, and head to the range.

I hit a gap wedge starting with 1/4 to 1/2 swings, working up to a full swing. Then I'll hit 9i or 8i shots, including some knockdowns, then a 6i or 5i, including some knockdowns. Knockdowns help me stay connected and explode (at my age an explosion is more a poof) into the ball. Then a couple hybrids. Maybe only one or two if I make good contact. Then the same with a 3w. Next comes the driver, anywhere from 5 to 15, depending how I'm getting through the ball. Not more generally, because there's only so many in me before a round. Finish up with a couple flops shots to get some feel back after the ball striking. Then, depending on timing I'll hit anywhere from 5 to 50 putts.

If I don't get this routine, and it can be tough when playing with my wife and daughter because before even leaving for the course they move at banana slugs spped, I'm out of sorts and unhappy. The BS, the warm up, etc., are all important to me. I even have to have two new marked balls in my pocket and a number of 3 1/4" tees. Ball mark on my cap and pitch mark repairerer in my left pocket. The routine even starts at home with putting in my contacts, applying sun screen, etc.

I've begun to take my own car so the females don't bother me. Since getting into The Morgan Cup, I also may play extra holes or hit balls after a round, so I don't like them hanging around my neck if they have something they want to do. They've gotten better, but in the past I used to do some real barking at the house to get them moving.

So yes, I hit the range before playing, but there's more to it than that.

Kevin

I have to hit- maybe for my peace of mind mostly. Knowing I hit those shots on the range - I can think back and remember.

Putting is big- it's such a "feel" stroke. I find it takes the biggest fall if it isn't properly warmed up.

If I only have 15 mins- I grab about 12 balls- and play 3 holes in my head.

Hit a drive- go through the routine- hit a 7 iron- go through routine.
Hit a wedge. Same. Repeat.

Do it three times- then Ill hit a few more tune up shots depending.

I really like a 30-45 minute warmup though.

I always prefer to hit the range before a round just to see how I'm hitting the ball that day and to get the proper swing thoughts going. When I can't hit the range before a round there are always a few negative thoughts floating around in my head that take a few holes to get rid of.

I need to hit some before I get to the first box. I don't have to have a set routine and I mix it up, just like to have 30-50 swings in me before I play. Doesn't always work out, but need to get something in to get the blood flowing.

I prefer to hit the driving range first. I'll only need a couple dozen balls though. Just enough to gauge what I've got that day. The muni I'm playing now doesn't have a range but they do have pitching green, chipping green, putting green, and nets.

I like to get a little range time in but however that's been pretty hard lately. The Work League I play in usually has a 6:30 AM Tee time start. A lot of the course we play, the range isn't open yet.

IF I had to choose between 5 minutes of range time versus 5 minutes of chipping and putting I'ld pick the chipping/putting everytime. Not saying driving/range isn't important.

Back