Volvik Condor and Condor X Golf Balls Review

you have just sent me down a dimple rabbit hole.. Thanks lol.
It's very hard for me to visualize/conceptualize in my head. I'd love to have an industry person present it sometime.

It's very hard for me to visualize/conceptualize in my head. I'd love to have an industry person present it sometime.
agreed. Would be a great conversation that I would want to listen to.. Interestingly these have 336 dimples. that is probably the number that exists most commonly in golf..

Some more short game testing, and some comments below:

Feel: I'm really liking what the Condor offers from a feel perspective. Sits right in a good window of solid, yet not hard. It compares very well to other balls that aren't in the Soft category, but also not a high compression 'X'. I prefer it to the Condor X and the XT Soft. The Condor X is still good in this regard, just a bit too hard for my liking. Could I play it, sure, no issues there. Not as harsh as some other X balls I've played in the past. I just like the Condor better.

Greenside Spin: I am seeing more greenside spin with the Condor X, as expected. Pretty even from rough, both roll out very similar with my swing. But I've noticed the X is more of a one hop and stop, versus the Condor with is a one hop, and roll out a bit. Still want to try a variety of shots, and see how they both perform.

So far, is this testing from 100 yards and in, I enjoy both, but my preference lies with the Condor over the Condor X due to it being a bit softer feeling. A preference of mine coming from other balls that are similar.

On course testing will be later this week. Just want to make sure I get in some more short game testing before the possibility of lost balls comes into play. So if anyone has anything else they want to see with a wedge or putter in hand, please let me know!

I'm testing the Volvik balls. I warmed up for 6 holes using my normal TaylorMade Tour Response. Then I switched to the Condor ball. I usually don't like higher compression balls, but I really played well with these and enjoyed the feel. They are about 10 higher in compression than the Tour Response, but preformed great for me. I think the Condor X may be too hard for me, but we shall see tomorrow.

I finally got a chance to test these outside. I went to a driving range (actually a sand greens golf course that is usually empty). After warming up with range balls, I mixed in the Condor, Condor X and my usual gamer Tour B RX. I hit driver with the balls tee'd down very low to try and find the fairway into a stiff north wind of 20-30 mph. It was a small sample size, but both Volvik balls performed very well in the wind with maybe a slight edge to the Condor X. Again, small sample, could have just been the swing I put on the ball. I did notice both Volvik balls and my gamer flew 10-15 yds farther than the range balls. Both balls felt fine off the driver and the Condor X was definitely firmer, but not in a bad way. I have a tournament this Sunday and will put them in play on an actual course and report back.

Well I played my 2nd round of league play today and tried the Condor X, to be brutally honest; I put the ball back into the sleeve and played another ball. It wasn't that I did not like the X but conditions today in Ohio were not great. Temp was 42* @ tee off, Wind gusts of 12-20MPH. It had also rained throughout the night and was misty/slight pissdrizzle 90 minutes b4 tee. To what I felt on the first 2 holes using the X: wasn't feeling it. The high compression vs my slow swing speed just weren't working along with the elements. Hopefully next week we'll have better weather and I will play the X again and will report after my round what I thought of it. Sorry guys.....TBC........

Just found my package in the mail I forgot to check haha oops!

I received 1 sleeve of each

Condor
Condor X
XT Soft White
XT Soft Yellow

Interesting note I saw on the side of the package which may or may not have been mentioned already...do not leave balls in direct sunlight as color may change. I found that interesting.

Well I played my 2nd round of league play today and tried the Condor X, to be brutally honest; I put the ball back into the sleeve and played another ball. It wasn't that I did not like the X but conditions today in Ohio were not great. Temp was 42* @ tee off, Wind gusts of 12-20MPH. It had also rained throughout the night and was misty/slight pissdrizzle 90 minutes b4 tee. To what I felt on the first 2 holes using the X: wasn't feeling it. The high compression vs my slow swing speed just weren't working along with the elements. Hopefully next week we'll have better weather and I will play the X again and will report after my round what I thought of it. Sorry guys.....TBC........
Just my observations over time, but a firmer ball can be surprisingly beneficial to some slower players since some of them are designed to spin more and fly a little higher. You just kind of have to get over the feel/mental aspect of it.

Just my observations over time, but a firmer ball can be surprisingly beneficial to some slower players since some of them are designed to spin more and fly a little higher. You just kind of have to get over the feel/mental aspect of it.
Said every Top-Flite ball ever :ROFLMAO:

Some more short game testing, and some comments below:

Feel: I'm really liking what the Condor offers from a feel perspective. Sits right in a good window of solid, yet not hard. It compares very well to other balls that aren't in the Soft category, but also not a high compression 'X'. I prefer it to the Condor X and the XT Soft. The Condor X is still good in this regard, just a bit too hard for my liking. Could I play it, sure, no issues there. Not as harsh as some other X balls I've played in the past. I just like the Condor better.

Greenside Spin: I am seeing more greenside spin with the Condor X, as expected. Pretty even from rough, both roll out very similar with my swing. But I've noticed the X is more of a one hop and stop, versus the Condor with is a one hop, and roll out a bit. Still want to try a variety of shots, and see how they both perform.

So far, is this testing from 100 yards and in, I enjoy both, but my preference lies with the Condor over the Condor X due to it being a bit softer feeling. A preference of mine coming from other balls that are similar.

On course testing will be later this week. Just want to make sure I get in some more short game testing before the possibility of lost balls comes into play. So if anyone has anything else they want to see with a wedge or putter in hand, please let me know!
When you say "100 yards and in" have you done much with partial swings? Like 70-80 yards for example. I'd be curious to see if you notice a difference in ball flight there.

When you say "100 yards and in" have you done much with partial swings? Like 70-80 yards for example. I'd be curious to see if you notice a difference in ball flight there.
I'll test this out in a bit. I have hit a lot of partial wedges in this range but focused more on feel.

I'll test this out in a bit. I have hit a lot of partial wedges in this range but focused more on feel.
Excellent. I notice a difference with these shots on the monitor quite often, but curious how that translates to ball flight.

Hit some shots, and wanted to report back what I was seeing.

In the 70-80 yard partial shots I was seeing a lower and flatter ball flight out of the X, overall. There isn't a large variance that jumps out at you, but hitting them back to back that's what my eyes were seeing. Maybe 5-10 feet of difference in peak height, but that's just a guess.

Wish I had access to a LM to get more granular, so I'm curious to see what you were seeing.

Still putting around with these at home - haven't been able to get out and hit balls this week.

I am finding that the Condor is maybe slightly better for me for distance control. Honestly, the X is just a little firmer and not really my style. First full swing tests will come tomorrow afternoon in a rain/wind 9 hole walk. Hopefully I can keep from sending one of these into the junk!

Finally got these on the course today.

Not sure why, but I did not enjoy them off the driver today. Not sure if it was too much spin, but both the Condor, and especially the Condor X, had more side to side movement than before. Back 9 I also hit my gamer ball, and was much more consistent with it than the Voviks.

From 150 and in, it was fine. I was seeing good shot trajectory, again a bit higher with the regular Condor. Greens were difficult today, so matter the shot everything was rolling out. I'm going to refrain from judging them, since the greens seems overly fast, at least compared to what I'm used to.

Going to need to give them another round, but based on what I was seeing with driver, I don't have the most confidence right now. One round, so more to come.

Same experience. Couldn't keep the ball in, or near, the fairway. Switched to my Softfli on the 7th and had no problems from then on.

Played 9 today. Didn’t play my normal clubs as I won some others - that’s for another thread.

First three holes with the Condor X. Ball flight was actually quite high off the driver. I was moving it quite a bit from left to right, but found one fairway, and only missed the others by a few yards. Iron ball flight was good. Off the wedges this thing checked like crazy. Not sure if it was the wedges or the ball, but dang. That’s not a game I usually play lol

Next three holes played the Condor. Again, ball flight was good off the driver. Just as much height as the X, but less left to right movement so probably less side spin. Similar results with the irons. On clean shots, ball went high and far. A little too far even. Not as much check with the wedges, but I prefer that right now anyway.

Played the XT soft for the last three holes. Will update that thread.

For me, I think it’s down to the regular Condor or the XT for preferred ball out of the group so far.

Putting with both was frustrating today. Not the balls fault. I missed all but one of my first putts today. Missed by less than the width of the ball. Not sure if it was just me, or the new putter, but it wasn’t the ball. Speed was fantastic and consistent.

Went and just putted around and chipped with these again. The feel off the putter with both is great. I enjoy the putter feel.

I still can’t figure out chipping with these.. very well could be a me problem though..

Went and just putted around and chipped with these again. The feel off the putter with both is great. I enjoy the putter feel.

I still can’t figure out chipping with these.. very well could be a me problem though..
More roll out than expected?

More roll out than expected?
Yeah. Just not grabbing like I think it should and the launch is coming off higher which indicates lower spin. Again, I have been on the short game struggle bus so it could be me..

Yeah. Just not grabbing like I think it should and the launch is coming off higher which indicates lower spin. Again, I have been on the short game struggle bus so it could be me..
I noticed the similar issue with rollout today with both. Greens were faster than normal, but I was struggling to get any sort of stopping power, especially greenside.

interesting, I didn’t notice that when playing these at Briggs. Could also be impact location or it’s just you haha. I’m not saying these are chrome tour or pro v1 but I thought they spun pretty good.

interesting, I didn’t notice that when playing these at Briggs. Could also be impact location or it’s just you haha. I’m not saying these are chrome tour or pro v1 but I thought they spun pretty good.
Highly likely..

Highly likely..
Haha lots of factors. I am curious to see how the ball translates locally compared to the tight lies at Briggs

Back