Trying To Break 90 Club

playing friday afternoon will be my 1st round in a month hopefully going to better my last round on the course im playing of 88

I forgot to post in here. I shot an 88 a few weeks ago. Hoping to get out multiple times this weekend. My golf outings have suffered greatly with the new job. I'm ending my 5th week, and in that time I've only played 18 once. I am really itching to get out.

Came close again this yesterday with a 91. I can thank a 4 putt on par 3 from 10 feet for the over 90 score.

Well I shot an 86 the last time I played. I really want to break 80 this year. Is there a Break 80 thread?

I felt like resurrecting this thread from the dead after seeing the other "Trying to break x" threads.

Shot a 92 last sunday. 42 out, 50 in. Gotta stop the blowup holes somehow.

I had a handful of sub 90 rounds last year.

Got 1 so far this year with an 88, only hit like 1 faiarway and was short off of the tee, so I know 85 can be a realistic goal in the near future

I felt like resurrecting this thread from the dead after seeing the other "Trying to break x" threads.

Shot a 92 last sunday. 42 out, 50 in. Gotta stop the blowup holes somehow.

You and I need to get together for a round. We are pretty close scorewise. I shot 89 today at Brevofield in Wake Forest. I had a handful of really nice shots, but sincerely the only saving grace of the day is that THP made some money on the gig. What a PIG-HOLE!

You and I need to get together for a round. We are pretty close scorewise. I shot 89 today at Brevofield in Wake Forest. I had a handful of really nice shots, but sincerely the only saving grace of the day is that THP made some money on the gig. What a PIG-HOLE!

Congrats on the sub-90! I am out of town both this weekend and next. How about we plan something for May 7 or 8?

Congrats on the sub-90! I am out of town both this weekend and next. How about we plan something for May 7 or 8?

That works for me, as far as I know right now. Lets move this over the the NC Golfers thread, and see if any others are interested.

Reporting for duty!

The weather only just started cooperating, so only put in 9 + 18 so far. 43 for nine, and a 95 for 18.

Have to say my game is a bit further along than expected. Driver has been treating me surprisingly well compared to last year. Significant distance increase, better flight and mr. banana took a vacation apparently. God I hope he is gone for good! Putting has also been decent and only been seeing a couple of 3 putts a round. Weakest point in my game would be the long irons and hybrid. Or to be more specific, my second shots. Loved that hybrid last year, but hesitating to use it atm as the odds of a wormburner is high enough that statistically I believe I'd be better off just hitting a couple of 7i's.

As it happens my home course is par 70 and my season goal is going below 20 hcp. 70 + 20 = 90, perfect for this thread. :waving:

Anyways best of luck to everyone, time to crack 90!

Shot a 92 this weekend. Wedges let me down again.

Hey, everyone. I just joined the forums and was told about this thread. ... Breaking 90 is my big goal for this year. Even though I shoot around 100 right now, I figure I waste a good 10-12 strokes a round on some really grim shots that are easily fixable. Short game is actually pretty good; off the tee and longer approaches are where I struggle, but that's going to change this year. I'll post future rounds to share the joy/pain. It's nice to have some support!

Hey, everyone. I just joined the forums and was told about this thread. ... Breaking 90 is my big goal for this year. Even though I shoot around 100 right now, I figure I waste a good 10-12 strokes a round on some really grim shots that are easily fixable. Short game is actually pretty good; off the tee and longer approaches are where I struggle, but that's going to change this year. I'll post future rounds to share the joy/pain. It's nice to have some support!

Welcome to THP EB. I broke 90 for the first time last year and this past Sunday was my third round of this season breaking 90. Look forward to hearing your progress.

broke 100 a few times last year but this year I plan on playing much more and already have a 97 96 and a 92 under my belt. The 92 was my most recent round and I had one blow up hole that just killed me. Easy par four with a tee shot over water. Put two in the drink. 5 from the tee...but ended up with an 8. =/ oh well...always next time.

broke 100 a few times last year but this year I plan on playing much more and already have a 97 96 and a 92 under my belt. The 92 was my most recent round and I had one blow up hole that just killed me. Easy par four with a tee shot over water. Put two in the drink. 5 from the tee...but ended up with an 8. =/ oh well...always next time.

Welcome to the club to both of you guys. Speaking for myself, I have found that breaking 90 (more often than not) relies on course management. Again, speaking for myself, I have the skills and the golf swing to do it regularly, but I am prone to go for the hero shot. You know... If I can bend this around THAT tree or if I can hit THAT 150yd low stinger, I can make the green and have a chance. My sub 90 rounds seem to always come when I take those shots out of play. Meaning take my medicine, punch out to the fairway safely, and then go for the green. I still have a good chance of hosing up the "safe shot" but in the long run I'm better off taking that route.

Also, my biggest gains have come in the short game. Everyone says it, but few practice it. Pitching, chipping, and putting are the downfalls of many a good round. Reduce the blowup holes by using your gray matter, and work on putting. My new putter should be here tomorrow, and I'm just dieing to start practice!

Good luck to both of you moving forward in you golfing goals.

That's awesome, Kevin; congratulations! Sounds like you're in a nice groove. Most of Arkansas is under water right now, so I won't be playing for a while. Luckily, I have lots of room to putt at work on our sweet industrial carpet.

That's awesome, Kevin; congratulations! Sounds like you're in a nice groove. Most of Arkansas is under water right now, so I won't be playing for a while. Luckily, I have lots of room to putt at work on our sweet industrial carpet.

Thanks man I've been working at it. You know they say more strokes are lost around the greens then anywhere else. Putting is always a good place to shave stokes. Shot an 89 Sunday but had THREE 3 putts on the back. Take those away and I'm at 86.

Thanks man I've been working at it. You know they say more strokes are lost around the greens then anywhere else. Putting is always a good place to shave stokes. Shot an 89 Sunday but had THREE 3 putts on the back. Take those away and I'm at 86.

Yea I agree- chipping is probably a great area for the higher handicapper to work on, they won't have the highGIR where two putting is common.

Putting is always a great place to. Shave strokes- but for the higher capper I think chipping from greenside rough is key.

My swing coach said the goal of chipping should be to placeit within a 3 foot circle of the hole. That gives you a makeable putt usually for an up anddown

I know I throw away a ton of stokes chipping. Not so many now thanks to the Niblick thats for sure, and my scores are relective of that (just gotta get Driver situated), now if I could only get the 2 Niblicks that were sent 10 days ago in the mail to magically show up, Id be set

Back