Trying To Break 90 Club

I know I throw away a ton of stokes chipping. Not so many now thanks to the Niblick thats for sure, and my scores are relective of that (just gotta get Driver situated), now if I could only get the 2 Niblicks that were sent 10 days ago in the mail to magically show up, Id be set

I love my niblicks; I was a much better chipper with em; I'm slowly teaching myself to chip without them- it's just a different stroke altogether.

What one is your fav? My all purpose was a 49; 56 for sand was nice too but way too high a flight for chipping IMO

I love my niblicks; I was a much better chipper with em; I'm slowly teaching myself to chip without them- it's just a different stroke altogether.

What one is your fav? My all purpose was a 49; 56 for sand was nice too but way too high a flight for chipping IMO

I am thinking about a 49 myself however I am loving my 50 & 56 CG16 wedges. I do have a 42 degree niblick that I used to hit out of trouble spots and it works well as a bump and run club around the green. Also great to punch out under low branches etc. when your ball leaves the fairway. Around the green, you have to get use to where to land the ball. It will run out a bit. I love my 42 Niblick and I feel like it will come in handy, in the thick rough down in Florida next month.

Shot a 90 today. Not exactly breaking 90, but enough to shave 3 strokes off my hcp. Had a couple of blowup holes, but also hit some beauties. Opened with birdie on one, and got another on 13.

<- Happy camper. :)

Shot an 89 today in very windy conditions, sometimes playing as much as 4 clubs extra into the wind. Putting was really bad again today, made 2 putts all day and missed so many from inside 3 feet. After the round decided a new putter was needed so ordered an Odyssey White Hot XG #9.

Pretty pleased with my tee to green game at the moment, short game seems to be coming on nicely (bar the putting).

Hoping to improve on this next time out when I should be using the new putter

Played 3 18's over the weekend and one 9. Shot 90, 95, 94, 42. Seems so close....

I broke 90 once last year (barely). My goal is to break 90 more frequently and hopefully with some consistency this year.

Wedge game. Its in shambles right now.

Shot 86 golfing at Windaroo Country Club. http://bit.ly/katW6J

ended up winning the monthly medal comp :) could have gone much lower but gotta be happy

Shot 86 golfing at Windaroo Country Club.
Congrats man, well done!

Had a tourney today. To my horror I discovered that we were going to play stroke play. That's a first for me. I've cut a few strokes off my hcp the last couple of weeks, and apparently I'd moved up a series.

Shot 110. On my home course. :angry:

Played quite poorly obviously. Actually driver and ironplay was decent enough, just ended up wasting a lot of strokes on silly stuff. Like deciding to play it safe and lay up, and then proceed to knock it in the water anyways due to too much club. Or hitting it in the drink on a par three, and then pitching it right back in after the drop. Brand new ball at that!

Still beat the hcp 12 guy from our group. He shot 112. I've never seen anyone completely crumble like that before. I'm sure you can imagine the mood was a little subdued in our little foursome.

Wasn't all bad though. Weather was beatiful and came away with a weird sort of reassurance that at least my problems was different this time around. I can actually hit a decent iron shot. My hybrid seems to be coming around, and my pitching has been great at times. Now it's just a question of stringing it all together. But that's golf in a nutshell I suppose.

Shot 110. On my home course.

Hang in there. We've all have had those days... cant help but luv this game, can drive us crazy at times :banana::banana::banana:

I finally broke the 90 barrier and in a pretty good way. A few days ago I shot 88 for my first sub 90 round and in that 88 I took a 9 on a par 5 and a 8 on a par 4 and had 3 putts sit on the edge of the cup. Then I shot 84 in another round again taking 2 quads. I haven't been playing too many rounds this year, but hit the range almost every day and hit about 100 balls or so. I knew from my work on the range breaking into the 80s was coming soon and honestly thought it would be a round of 85 or so for my first sub 90. So even though it was only a 88, the 84 just confirmed how well I did play on the day with the 88 and how much progress I have made this year. I have been golfing for awhile but decided this year to finally commit to really getting better and practicing to make it happen. It's weird as I just go and hit balls and over the last 3-4 weeks my ball striking has improved 100% and I don't really know why, it's just like something clicked in my head and my swing is really good now lol. I almost instantly switched from a fade/slice with the driver and a slight fade with the irons to a complete draw with both and able to hit either on command. I still have some work to do with the short game, mostly half wedge shots, etc. and I think once I get those down low 80s will be common for me. Since I shot those 2 rounds I have had to rethink my goals for the year and now set breaking into the 70s as the goal to meet by the end of summer. As even though my lowest is the 84, it definitely could have been a much lower score.

Edit- Little background, my best 18 hole rounds were a few 90s last year, a 91 and 92 a couple weeks ago. I had 3 9 hole rounds of 38 last year also.

Since I shot those 2 rounds I have had to rethink my goals for the year and now set breaking into the 70s as the goal to meet by the end of summer. As even though my lowest is the 84, it definitely could have been a much lower score.

Great job. It's always nice to get two low scores in such close proximity, because then you know it wasn't just a fluke or some lucky breaks. 70s is a big step, but it sounds like you have the work ethic to get there. Just remember to enjoy your journey to the 70s.

Just wanted to share one of the coolest golf/life experiences that I've ever had. Last year I lost my mother to cancer. Mother's Day yesterday was not fun. I was having a ROUGH day. Edgy, upset, sad, etc. I decided to try to find someone to golf with. Of course, being Mother's Day, no one was too keen on playing. I've never played a round by myself, but I figured screw it... I needed some mental health. As a second year golfer, my goal was to break 90 this season. However, I wasn't thinking at all about that goal yesterday. I just wanted to hit some balls as a distraction to an otherwise crappy day. Well low and behold, I'm sitting on the par 4 18th hole and I count my strokes. *GULP*... 82. Nerves set in. All I need to do is not double the stroke count and I'll break 90. I shank my drive. Decent 3 wood on my second shot. Next I fly the green with an 8i and I'm sitting under a tree. Try to punch it on the green but come up short. All I need is a chip and two putts. Chip is horrible and I left myself a 25-footer. I was putting great all day (which is a weakness) so I'm thinking *just get it close.* Sure enough, lag it up within 6 inches... tap in for triple bogey and a final score of 89. Thanks mom.

Just wanted to share one of the coolest golf/life experiences that I've ever had. Last year I lost my mother to cancer. Mother's Day yesterday was not fun. I was having a ROUGH day. Edgy, upset, sad, etc. I decided to try to find someone to golf with. Of course, being Mother's Day, no one was too keen on playing. I've never played a round by myself, but I figured screw it... I needed some mental health. As a second year golfer, my goal was to break 90 this season. However, I wasn't thinking at all about that goal yesterday. I just wanted to hit some balls as a distraction to an otherwise crappy day. Well low and behold, I'm sitting on the par 4 18th hole and I count my strokes. *GULP*... 82. Nerves set in. All I need to do is not double the stroke count and I'll break 90. I shank my drive. Decent 3 wood on my second shot. Next I fly the green with an 8i and I'm sitting under a tree. Try to punch it on the green but come up short. All I need is a chip and two putts. Chip is horrible and I left myself a 25-footer. I was putting great all day (which is a weakness) so I'm thinking *just get it close.* Sure enough, lag it up within 6 inches... tap in for triple bogey and a final score of 89. Thanks mom.

Congrats man... no it cant make up for the loss of your mum... now hopefully we wil lal leb able to stay in the 80's

That's awesome man. I love putting that added pressure on myself coming in, so I know I have to shoot X to make the score I want.

It's starting to click guys. Subbed for a friend in league last night. Shot a 41 on 9 holes. I know it's only half a round, but it's headed in the right direction :D

I played at my home course early Sunday morning....down here in southeast Texas, we have been fighting 30 mph winds for about a month now, not exactly great scoring weather. Well Sunday morning, early there was no wind and I made the turn at 42! But the golf gods saw fit to roll the wind back in and it was HOWLING! I still had a pretty good roué going, but managed to 3 putt 18 for a smooth 91:-(

But there is always next week!

I played at my home course early Sunday morning....down here in southeast Texas, we have been fighting 30 mph winds for about a month now, not exactly great scoring weather. Well Sunday morning, early there was no wind and I made the turn at 42! But the golf gods saw fit to roll the wind back in and it was HOWLING! I still had a pretty good roué going, but managed to 3 putt 18 for a smooth 91:-(

But there is always next week!

OUCH, been there!

Waiting for the season to start still here. Broke 90 my final three rounds last year, hopefully it will continue this year. Going to be hard to be consistent with it.

I am consistently shooting over 90. As we all know few bad shots and lapse in focus can wreck a round. Will be pulling for everyone to break 90 on a consistent basis.

The way I'm playing, I may have to join this thread. For several years I've been a regular in the 80's. Last year my driver left me and this year I've just been too inconsistant with most every club in the bag. The driver is still all over the place, but I've been pulling off some pretty good recovery shots to keep my scores respectable for the most part.
This past weekend was the first time this season that I've played 18 holes on my home course and kept my score... 43 on the front and 48 on the back. The 43 has me encouraged that things are starting to pull together somewhat. After all, it was just a few weeks ago that I quit keeping score at 37 strokes... on 5 holes!

If the PGA could change the standard round to 27 holes, while only counting the last 18, the break 90 club would be easy. Two weeks ago 52-43, last week 54-44, 51-43. The first 3 or 4 holes kill me every time. And if i go to the range beforehand, i just shank everything i hit. The range is not my firend

If the PGA could change the standard round to 27 holes, while only counting the last 18, the break 90 club would be easy. Two weeks ago 52-43, last week 54-44, 51-43. The first 3 or 4 holes kill me every time. And if i go to the range beforehand, i just shank everything i hit. The range is not my firend

same here bro, im usually 6-7 strokes better on the back...usually

I'd be a lot closer to breaking 90 if I could control my wedges better and get a better feel for speed on the greens. Instead, I usually have a few holes that I play as up, across, and down... :banghead:

My problem lately is "blowup holes"! I seem to go par, bogey, bogey, double, par, quad, double, quad....even scatter a birdie or two....in fact my last 6 rounds would have been in the 80's if I could have just made double on the two or three holes that I took 8 or 9 on :-(

In fact, 2 weeks ago I carded a 43 on the front that included a quad on number 9 (which as it turned out was an omen for the 59 I shot on the back!

Back