Tiger vs. Scottie : Who had/has more competition?

Old Tom Morris

Scottie gets at least one more major this year.

Tiger doesn't wear Scottie's shoes.

I’m so tired of comparing eras.

I’m just going to sit back and see how far he can ride this, because it could be a really really special thing we are seeing unfold.
That's where I am at. I understand the discussion, but with any sport, anytime there is greatness I don't love the talk of comparing eras and who would be better and what not. Scottie is playing at a level we have not seen in a long time. I know he hasn't racked up the majors, but I have been wanting to see someone separate themselves for a long time and I'm just gonna enjoy it for now.

Okay, Mr. Editor.

While we’re editing “is fun”

Phil has 46 PGAT wins 4 International wins and 6 Majors one set a record as being the oldest man to win a Major, he made 536/663 cuts let's not forget T-2 Masters last year.

Scottie does not belong in the same sentence/conversation whatever you wanna call it and he is surely not in the same paragraph as TW. 😂
I didn’t edit that post.

I do think you miss the point of conversation and how it can go both ways without everyone having to agree with you.

Okay, Mr. Editor.

While we’re editing “is fun”

Phil has 46 PGAT wins 4 International wins and 6 Majors one set a record as being the oldest man to win a Major, he made 536/663 cuts let's not forget T-2 Masters last year.

Scottie does not belong in the same sentence/conversation whatever you wanna call it and he is surely not in the same paragraph as TW. 😂
But what if the sentence is; "Scottie won the 2024 Masters and Tiger finished DFL."

Phil didn't win a major until Tiger had already won 8 majors.

Right but Phil has had a great career vs basically everyone else other than Tiger and like 2-3 other guys. Ernie and Vijay very solid too

I'm a big believer that depth is always getting better, in fact i argue this all the time. But say 2005, that's less then 20 years ago and most of Scottie's heater has been with the LIV split.

Scottie has 2 majors, if you want to argue just for those, the competition is better than 20 years ago. OK. But non majors i wouldn't agree, too much talent on LIV. Winning a players championship now is less relevant than 15 years ago IMO

Is that talent THAT different you think? By mid 2000s I think it was pretty decent. It's not like Jack who played against plumbers and high school teachers.

But I don't know that anyone from this era even ends up with as many Pga wins as Phil
It is interesting that you say Jack played against plumbers and high school teachers, because I remember when the Tiger era was peaking, so many said that Tiger didn’t have nearly the competition that Jack had, because Jack had to play against Arnie, Player, Trevino, Watson, Casper and Miller.

In my opinion, Tiger turned golf into a sport that attracted athletes and made it cool to be a golfer. When I was in my late 20’s and early 30’s, If you had a 4 or 5 index, you had at least a puncher’s chance of qualifying for the State Am. Now, there are 15 year old kids who play scratch and a 4 or 5 index is just another duffer. I think this total wave of young golfers has filtered all the way to the top and the fields are deeper than they have ever been, thereby making it more difficult than ever. This is why I would say Scottie may be on the best run of golf that we have ever seen.

I’m so tired of comparing eras.

I’m just going to sit back and see how far he can ride this, because it could be a really really special thing we are seeing unfold.
Man, this expresses my feelings perfectly. It just isn’t possible to compare eras.

Man, this expresses my feelings perfectly. It just isn’t possible to compare eras.
I'm at that point, I just want to sit back, watch, and chat about how damn cool it is.

It is interesting that you say Jack played against plumbers and high school teachers, because I remember when the Tiger era was peaking, so many said that Tiger didn’t have nearly the competition that Jack had, because Jack had to play against Arnie, Player, Trevino, Watson, Casper and Miller.

In my opinion, Tiger turned golf into a sport that attracted athletes and made it cool to be a golfer. When I was in my late 20’s and early 30’s, If you had a 4 or 5 index, you had at least a puncher’s chance of qualifying for the State Am. Now, there are 15 year old kids who play scratch and a 4 or 5 index is just another duffer. I think this total wave of young golfers has filtered all the way to the top and the fields are deeper than they have ever been, thereby making it more difficult than ever. This is why I would say Scottie may be on the best run of golf that we have ever seen.

Im typically on board with the stronger fields argument , but see my most recent post to @blugold

Generally i agree, but Tiger's era isn't THAT long ago, and Scotties played under the great separation of LIV and state.

If you want to talk about just his 2 majors--then OK i can tentatively agree

Im typically on board with the stronger fields argument , but see my most recent post to @blugold

Generally i agree, but Tiger's era isn't THAT long ago, and Scotties played under the great separation of LIV and state.

If you want to talk about just his 2 majors--then OK i can tentatively agree
It‘s funny how as we get older, things that seem not that long ago are actually quite a long time ago. I would say the Tiger era of dominance ended in 2010, but his absolute utter scorched earth period was from about 1999 to 2004 (give or take). That is 20 years ago, which can be an eternity in sports.

Tiger was still using a steel shaft in his driver in his early period of dominance. That seems like a different world. But, I think it is, as I mentioned, the way Tiger turned golf into a cool sport and brought the young kids into the game in droves and those young kids are now the PGA Tour players. Tiger changed golf and it happened fairly quickly.

I see your point, too, and my bottom line is that it is impossible to compare eras in any sport, but, in general, athletes in every sport are bigger, faster, stronger, better trained and there are more of them, so the competition keeps getting more intense.

The question isnt who is better or who will be better...

I'm at that point, I just want to sit back, watch, and chat about how damn cool it is.
I had a super busy weekend and didn’t even realize that Scottie had won again until this morning. The minute I saw the headline, my exact thought was, “this is so cool.”

He seems like such a genuine guy, too. You can’t help but root for that.

Tiger, only because his only competition was with himself.

Last edited:
I think the fields are deeper today than in any other era. As far as LIV players go, some have been playing in the majors, so at least those events will have all the best players in the world.

I didn’t edit that post.

I do think you miss the point of conversation and how it can go both ways without everyone having to agree with you.
TW has played in 1028 events, 82 PGAT wins, and 15 major wins but the OP wants to know who had tougher competition. :ROFLMAO: TW didn't play in silly limited-field events he won in full-field events without a 1/3 of the top players missing.

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

TW has played in 1028 events, 82 PGAT wins, and 15 major wins but the OP wants to know who had tougher competition. :ROFLMAO: TW didn't play in silly limited-field events he won in full-field events without a 1/3 of the top players missing.

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen
The WGC were limited fields and he dominated those. They generally had pretty deep fields but to say he didn't play limited field events isn't true.

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen
steve carrell anchorman GIF by FirstAndMonday

I reckon we can’t talk about it until Scottie gets caught at Waffle House.

Fun stuff.

Back