Tiger vs. Scottie : Who had/has more competition?

Bosco...

JB Cobb III told me to do it.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12’ish
I gotta say Scottie, but the LIV dilution messes things up a a little.

Thoughts? Too early?

Tiger.

Tiger

Tiger.

LIV effect on PGA/Scottie hurts.

The debate for the ages. It’s Tiger on this one.

Jack.

Tiger.

Struggling to remember the competition during Tigers hay day besides Phil. Not counting the 2019 Masters.

LIV has certainly watered it down. It does make it slightly less impressive on regular events but ummm he just won The Masters so that theory is kinda out the window. That being said….Tiger. Once the other players got up off the mat. Tigers toughest competition was himself.

Struggling to remember the competition during Tigers hay day besides Phil. Not counting the 2019 Masters.
Vijay, Duval, Els, Westwood, Furyk, Dimarco, Phil, Early Rory, Sergio

Tiger

🐅

Competition is much better now. Tiger is and will always be special, but he was an outlier during his time. Now everyone in the top 10 can drive it 300+ and new guys are coming in already groomed to win. Hell, a 15 year old just got a top 20 on the KFT.

How is it Scottie?

Tiger had Philip Mickelson and Ernest Els.....both with several majors and in their prime.

Scottie has been around a few years, the only guy reasonably close to either of those guys is Koepka and he spent a year of that time as Sad Koepka

LIV dilution does make this more difficult. Top to bottom I’d say that Scottie has more competition. If we limit that to top 20 then the LIV departure of players IMO shifts that to Tiger by a small margin.

How is it Scottie?

Tiger had Philip Mickelson and Ernest Els.....both with several majors and in their prime.

Scottie has been around a few years, the only guy reasonably close to either of those guys is Koepka and
There's several guys in that Phil/Ernie level right now. There's not as many wins to go around these days because there's so much more talent. There's a number of guys, up until LIV, that are nearly as good (or better) than anyone Tiger faced, outside of Phil. Rahm, Rory, DJ, Bryson, Koepka, Spieth, JT, Xander, Cantlay, and on and on...plus a lot of up and comers.

There's several guys in that Phil/Ernie level right now. There's not as many wins to go around these days because there's so much more talent. There's a number of guys, up until LIV, that are nearly as good (or better) than anyone Tiger faced, outside of Phil. Rahm, Rory, DJ, Bryson, Koepka, Spieth, JT, Xander, Cantlay, and on and on...plus a lot of up and comers.

Is that talent THAT different you think? By mid 2000s I think it was pretty decent. It's not like Jack who played against plumbers and high school teachers.

But I don't know that anyone from this era even ends up with as many Pga wins as Phil

Vijay, Duval, Els, Westwood, Furyk, Dimarco, Phil, Early Rory, Sergio
O'mera, Greg Norman, love, Westwood, langer, and basically most of the high tier champions tour players.

How is it Scottie?

Scottie has been around a few years, the only guy reasonably close to either of those guys is Koepka and he spent a year of that time as Sad Koepka
I think its difficult comparing because Tiger era golfers we are looking at their full body of work. Phil and Els had 2 major combined at ages 32. Rahm, JT, Kawa, Jordan, Koepka have 2+ each before that age. Many that we think are the top players in this era are just hitting their prime (30-35 historically). Then we have the up and comers like Victor and Aberg etc.

But I don't know that anyone from this era even ends up with as many Pga wins as Phil
I don't think so either. Reason being the competition is just so deep and its much harder to win now.

I don't think so either. Reason being the competition is just so deep and it’s much harder to win now.
The Tiger effect, all those young kids who got into the game because of him are in in their prime golf age

Scottie. Every player now has trackman, a personal trainer and clubs customized to their game. Everyone is squeezing every drop of juice from their talent.

I gotta say Scottie, but the LIV dilution messes things up a a little.

Thoughts? Too early?
Each year advances in equipment design is making the game easier for Tour pros, which means more players are able to shoot 65 or better. So, Scheffler has more competition than Tiger had.
Remember that in Nicklaus' day of persimmon woods and balata balls took more skill to consistently hit straight shots at the target than it did during Tiger's era. And the balls and clubs of Tiger's era required more skill than today's equipment. So as the equipment improves more players are able to shoot low scores.

OMG, we’re putting TW and Scottie in the same sentence already.

Scottie is not even in the same sentence as Phil, pump the brakes.

Back