Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
Anymore it seems that every time I go to the course there are multiple guys sporting the white belt. I like the look, even own a white belt myself (complimented perfectly with a THP buckle I might add). I have a slight problem though and I'm hoping my friends here at THP can help me out. I'm confused as to when and where the white belt should/shouldn't be considered.

What kind of "rules" should apply when wearing the white belt? Let me preface this by saying that over the weekend I saw a dude wearing a black and red shirt, black pants, black shoes, black hat, and you guessed it white belt. Now to me that is a big no, no- right? I looked for some white anywhere on this guy- none, except the belt.

When I wear my white belt it's usually with a setup of black pants/shorts, white shirt, white hat, white/black shoes and white belt (again, with the THP buckle). Now I'd like to venture into wearing the white belt with more outfits but I feel that there has to be more white involved than just the belt alone. Does going with say khaki and blue short/shirt combo work with a white belt if white accessories are involved (such as white hat, white shoes, white belt)? Here's another one, I have some great navy/white/lighter blue plaid shorts, would these shorts with a navy golf shirt, white hat, white shoes, white belt work?

I guess my question is this- I've always been under the impression that your belt has to match your shoes, is there more to it with the white belt? I know the dude in all dark EXCEPT this white belt was out of line (at least I think he was) but what are the official "rules" concerning white belts?!? HELP!!!

Only my opinion, but I think there are more ways to wear it. For instance, black pants, black shirt, black and white hat and black shoes. The white belt can break up that outfit.

Usually a good rule is that hat and belt must match. With that, you can do so many things. The other day I wore khaki shorts and a blue shirt. Added a white and tan Nike hat and a white belt.

There are so many great uses for it, but you have to do it carefully. Adding it to any outfit does not work just like anything else. Pairing a belt shouuld be no different if it is white, black, or brown. It should accent any outfit and add just a little something extra to the style.

I always rock the white belt. Though with a black hat it might be going too far. I don't normally wear hats so I don't think I am making a fashion faux pas. Hopefully someone else will post an answer to this question.

Edit: Looks like JB already has

The style master! I was hoping you were still online and could add your .02 cents to this question! I'll have to get some pics posted up in the what did you wear thread and get some feedback as I look to get the white belt into more outfits.

Good topic Putt! I agree with JB....the hat has to match the belt no matter what. Last time I wore my white belt was with a orange shirt, khaki shorts, and a white visor. There's a pic on the 'What Did You Wear?' thread.....

Good topic Putt! I agree with JB....the hat has to match the belt no matter what. Last time I wore my white belt was with a orange shirt, khaki shorts, and a white visor. There's a pic on the 'What Did You Wear?' thread.....

I dont think the hat has to be all white, but it should have some in it. I will give an example. I worse gray shorts, a black shirt with some minor white design in it, and a black visor that says Sligo in white. Then I added the white belt and I thought it came out great.

The white belt should never ever be worn unless you are wearing something else white. preferably like JB said the white belt looks great to break up an outfit or balance it out. Ex: White hat, black shirt, white belt, black pants, white shoes is IMO stunning!! When wearing a white belt, it always looks great if you are matching your hat, or shoes.

The example you posted P4B of the white belt is a definite no no.

hadn't thought of the black visor/hat with white in it look....I'm going to try that next time!

I dont think the hat has to be all white, but it should have some in it. I will give an example. I worse gray shorts, a black shirt with some minor white design in it, and a black visor that says Sligo in white. Then I added the white belt and I thought it came out great.

IMO, everyone is right here with the hat. It has to have some white in it. I'll throw in something else as well... you need white to be a dominant color on your shoes. Look how goofy it must look if you have black shoes with any color pants, white belt, whatever color shirt, and whatever color hat. It just looks out of balance.

Also, if it's a plain white belt with a blah buckle then white on white pants is a no no.

I consider the shoes more important to match with the belt, especially with black or white. Most of the time you can get away with the hat not matching the belt if it does match the shirt.

If you're going to venture into bolder colors, these rules can be broken based on the fact that you probably don't have shoes in orange, pink, yellow, etc. If you find yourself with, let's say, a yellow belt, you probably want to wear either black pants/shirt/shoes, or white pants/shirt/shoes. In this case, a yellow hat is crucial so you at least have some connection to the belt (I guess a yellow shirt could work as well, but you would have to make sure the colors are very close).

Back on topic though, yes I'm a huge fan of the white belts!
My personal favorite outfits consist of white shoes/belt/shirt/hat, and brightly colored slacks (see sig). If you have a thin build, definitely try playing around with color in your pants rather than your shirt. Most guys only wear khaki, navy, black, and possibly white pants, if you can pull off other colors you'll definitely stand out from the crowd a little.

Along those same lines, look in the mirror before you venture out in a big white belt. If you have a big waist, it will only make it look bigger (I'm looking at you, Phil).
The most important thing is feeling comfortable and confident with your outfit. It will give you such a great mindset going into a round.
It might sound weird, but when I'm dressed more conservative (black belt, etc.), I tend to play more conservative. And vise-versa. Anyone else experience that?

Completely agree JL, my new outfit I can make this year because of a Orange hat I got is white shirt, white shorts, orange belt, orange hat, white shoes. I thnk it will look great.

I consider the shoes more important to match with the belt, especially with black or white. Most of the time you can get away with the hat not matching the belt if it does match the shirt.

If you're going to venture into bolder colors, these rules can be broken based on the fact that you probably don't have shoes in orange, pink, yellow, etc. If you find yourself with, let's say, a yellow belt, you probably want to wear either black pants/shirt/shoes, or white pants/shirt/shoes. In this case, a yellow hat is crucial so you at least have some connection to the belt (I guess a yellow shirt could work as well, but you would have to make sure the colors are very close).

My personal favorite outfits consist of white shoes/belt/shirt/hat, and brightly colored slacks (see sig). If you have a thin build, definitely try playing around with color in your pants rather than your shirt. Most guys only wear khaki, navy, black, and possibly white pants, if you can pull off other colors you'll definitely stand out from the crowd a little.

Along those same lines, look in the mirror before you venture out in a big white belt. If you have a big waist, it will only make it look bigger (I'm looking at you, Phil).
The most important thing is feeling comfortable and confident with your outfit. It will give you such a great mindset going into a round.
It might sound weird, but when I'm dressed more conservative (black belt, etc.), I tend to play more conservative. And vise-versa. Anyone else experience that?

I agree with you JL that the belt should match the shoes. I dont typically wear hats so I guess I dont have that match to go on.

Outstanding post JL- you really helped shed some light on the subject! I once read somewhere, I think it was the Style Guy in Golf Digest, it is an absolute no no to wear a white belt if your waste is bigger than a 38. I completely agree that the most important thing is to be comfortable and confident, that goes with anything you wear!

Outstanding post JL- you really helped shed some light on the subject! I once read somewhere, I think it was the Style Guy in Golf Digest, it is an absolute no no to wear a white belt if your waste is bigger than a 38. I completely agree that the most important thing is to be comfortable and confident, that goes with anything you wear!

i wear a 38 and you wouldn't catch me dead in a white belt. not that i don't like them, but i feel like i'd look like a white walled tire, haha!

The style master! I was hoping you were still online and could add your .02 cents to this question! I'll have to get some pics posted up in the what did you wear thread and get some feedback as I look to get the white belt into more outfits.

I heard Aaron Baddeley once say on a playing lesson that you are suppose to match your hat, shoes and belt... white hat, white shoes, white belt... But nowadays there are so many colored hats, belts and shoes, that I think if you have 2 out of the 3 you're good.

Completely agree JL, my new outfit I can make this year because of a Orange hat I got is white shirt, white shorts, orange belt, orange hat, white shoes. I thnk it will look great.
Hey, if it works for you-know-who, it works for me!
camilo-villegas-420x0.jpg

Granted that's yellow, but it's the same with orange.
Actually, I have the same exact outfit you are describing and wear it all the time.

I have to be honest - I think white belts only look good on men who are slimmer. There's no way a white belt is going to look good on a guy who has a tummy that sticks out.

I have to be honest - I think white belts only look good on men who are slimmer. There's no way a white belt is going to look good on a guy who has a tummy that sticks out.

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about a white belt on females? Very curious

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about a white belt on females? Very curious

Women tend to try to hide their tummies. Any time I've seen larger women on the course, they are wearing a shirt that sits ourside their shorts/pants or wearing a belt that won't accentuate their waist. That being said, I wouldn't want to see a very large woman in dark shorts/pants with a white belt either.

i wear a 38 and you wouldn't catch me dead in a white belt. not that i don't like them, but i feel like i'd look like a white walled tire, haha!

I wear a 38 too but I can rock the white belt. Maybe because I have that football player frame. I'll take a quote from that movie Cars, "Black wall tires... they blend into the pavement. Now white wall tires, they say look at me, here I am, loooove me."

Hey, if it works for you-know-who, it works for me!
camilo-villegas-420x0.jpg

Granted that's yellow, but it's the same with orange.
Actually, I have the same exact outfit you are describing and wear it all the time.

I was thinking of this exact picture when I decided on that outfit, he also has an orange picture somewhere like that. I find camillo has great style so as silly as it sounds. I like to follow his style guidelines as well.

I was thinking of this exact picture when I decided on that outfit, he also has an orange picture somewhere like that. I find camillo has great style so as silly as it sounds. I like to follow his style guidelines as well.
Yep, his orange one is the opposite (shoes match instead of hat):
camilo-villegas.jpg

This is one of my favorite outfits of his, the orange shoes are just so awesome.

If I had money I'd surely be buying different coloured shoes like that as well. I will say in some cases too it is alright for a belt to match the pants. A white belt with white pants isn't that much of a no-no either. If you are wearing a white shirt though, some may find it classy to be in all white, but some may find it overkill. The most important thing in an outfit is balance, and that is exactly what a belt is for. The break up and balance of an outfit.

I'm a matching belt & shoes girl myself, but can see the argument for two out of three if you include the hat.

When P4B described the outfit that inspired this thread, all I could think was that the fellow was doing everything possible to avoid the old Full Cleveland.

I like the look of a white belt, but I haven't yet bought one for fear of mismatching. I am notorious for poorly matching my outfits. I will get dressed before my wife gets up and when I come home she says "if I was awake I would not have let you out of the house like that".

Back