The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well chipping went very well. Stupidly decided to hit some irons. Grr

I feel like I am starting to groove a pretty repeatable iron swing. This has been my achilles heel, but right now I feel pretty darn confident with an iron in my hand. If I get quick, or out of rhythm, my miss has become a pretty decent sized hook, but they are becoming fewer and further between.

All this range time is paying off

After not hitting a ball for a while, I managed to sneak a quick hour at the range after dropping Jen off for a coffee with friends. I had no real plan other than to make sure I was striking the ball well. Only took a few short irons and my 3w but I picked out a target which was to be between two yardage markers and hit probably at least 95% of the balls in that 'fairway' I had selected despite a crosswind from left to right so was very pleased

Hopefully I can take that sort of striking to the course next time I am out

I had some short game time and a lesson today and couldn't be happier.
I feel like things are really coming together and with the Morgan Cup less than a month away I'm getting excited.

Ready to take what I've practiced to the course tomorrow for a test

I'm lost on the range. Truly lost. Chipping and pitching went very well. Was hitting each shot crisply and I'm slowly working out when/where to use each wedge. My issue is when I go over and start hitting my irons. It's awful. I'm wearing out the damn hosel. This is only at the range. I get to the course and I am playing very well. Shot a few under the other night. Completely confused

I'm lost on the range. Truly lost. Chipping and pitching went very well. Was hitting each shot crisply and I'm slowly working out when/where to use each wedge. My issue is when I go over and start hitting my irons. It's awful. I'm wearing out the damn hosel. This is only at the range. I get to the course and I am playing very well. Shot a few under the other night. Completely confused

This is strange..

Load up the Pro Mental Coach dude!

Took the boy to the range and had another good one. Contact has been really good. Missed some out to the left at first, but straightened that out pretty quickly. Worked on being a little faster on the downswing towards the end to grab some more yards. That worked out fine, but I'm not going to push it for now.

Just spent two hours on the range. Working out some kinks, trying to figure out where my 3 wood went. As soon as I smoothed out the swing and stopped trying to kill it. It was like days of old. Very comforting really. Off a tee, off the ground it was quite nice to see once again. Then I hit wedges for a solid hour. Nothing over 90 yards. Working on different trajectories at various yardages. That's one of my favorite things to do, once I got the Pelz technique gulley incorporated into my game. It's just fun.

Medium bucket tonight. Wedges, woods, and hybrids are going okay, still struggling a bit with irons. But the good news is that I think some of my problem with the irons is that I'm flipping through impact instead of getting my hands in front.

All in all, not a great state to be in, but light is starting to show through.

I haven't played in three weeks due to the shanks. Mine travel to the course with me though.

I feel your pain Tim

Short game work tonight. Tommorow I am not sure if I will play 9 or spend a couple hours at the range.

hit a bunch of balls today. Shanked the first half. Piped the second half. Difference? No clue. I'd like to say I figured something out, but who knows next time out?

Driver was a little wild. Going to need to lock that down.

Chipping went very well today when I was practicing before my round, which carried over into my round. The course I went to today had a short game area that was AMAZING! Reminded me of a pro course. Multiple greens with lots of short grass and long grass around them to practice from. And each one was at different elevations and the fairway portions of the practice area had slopes so you could practice with the ball above and below your feet. Hope I can get back there soon with my brother to practice again!

I'm heading to the course in about an hour for some practice. I'm going to focus on short game, specifically 110 yards and in. I'm excited. Short game practice is my favorite.

Practiced 40-50 yard pitch shots in my back yard since that's about as far as I can go.

Chipping went very well today when I was practicing before my round, which carried over into my round. The course I went to today had a short game area that was AMAZING! Reminded me of a pro course. Multiple greens with lots of short grass and long grass around them to practice from. And each one was at different elevations and the fairway portions of the practice area had slopes so you could practice with the ball above and below your feet. Hope I can get back there soon with my brother to practice again!

There is a private course around here that has a fantastic short game area like that. They have a membership that includes the range, short game area, and par 3 course and it isn't too bad. I really want to do it but having just bought a house, and not having a full time teaching gig, it isn't in the budget for at least a year or two. You might want to check, that course may offer something similar. That would be a GREAT way to get your short game tight.

My grip/swing is finally coming back to me after trying to tweak it a few weeks ago. Very happy with my range day yesterday.

Hit about 100 balls in a "round" format, hitting a drive, then a long iron, short iron, repeat. Trying to mix things up. My swing is comfortable again and I am getting it up in the air and straight.

My main focus has been my short game, I spent about 90 minutes at the pitch/chip practice area chipping on to the green (and a few in the hole!) from 50 yards and in. Worked on different flag positions on a very small green and flopping over a bunker. Sadly, my local facility has a bunker but it is just muck! Hopefully they will fill it in soon so I can get to work on bunker practice.

All in all, feeling much more confident with my swing than I was a few weeks ago. Almost ready to head out for my second full 18!

Question: as much as I try I just cannot get a backspin on the ball! I put it way back in my stance and hit down on it firmly with my SW. I think the problem may be that I am A) hitting range balls and B) using a used SW that is very worn on out on the club face.

Thoughts?

Question: as much as I try I just cannot get a backspin on the ball! I put it way back in my stance and hit down on it firmly with my SW. I think the problem may be that I am A) hitting range balls and B) using a used SW that is very worn on out on the club face.

Thoughts?

A few things will help generate spin - technique/contact, lie, ball choice, and grooves to an extent.

Took a little video and I'm still a little long, but it's getting better. Going to work on that, along with the driver swing, this week.

Gonns sneak out for some short game work tonight then perhaps try to find my driver swing again in the am.

Gonns sneak out for some short game work tonight then perhaps try to find my driver swing again in the am.

Dialing in those wedges?

Stop throwing yourself and the driver at the ball buddy, that hook is no good for good scores. You'll get it back I'm sure of it.

Dialing in those wedges?

Stop throwing yourself and the driver at the ball buddy, that hook is no good for good scores. You'll get it back I'm sure of it.

As dialed in as my greenside game can be lol

Yeah yesterday was just weird...bad swing day...it happens...but a lesson is imminent

As dialed in as my greenside game can be lol

Yeah yesterday was just weird...bad swing day...it happens...but a lesson is imminent

Just use the betti :) it's good even out of bunkers!

I know dude mine wasn't very good either.

I had a chat with one of the teaching pros at the range I go to. Not a formal lesson, but just a quick casual conversation about a problem that I've been having. Since my swing fell apart, every iron in my bag has been going rougly the same distance. PW = 100 yards. 8I = 115 yards. I had to hit a 5I to get close to a 145 yard par three the other day. He said I was probably flipping through impact, drastically raising dynamic loft.

Makes sense. It also helps explain why woods and hybrids have been the only thing I could hit decently.

So, I worked on drills in the basement and hit some practice balls into the net over the weekend, trying to eliminate the flip. Practice felt good, and hoping to get to the range over lunch today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back