The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a bit of an epiphany with my middle/long irons on the range today. I've been focusing a lot over the last few weeks on staying connected and trying to keep from coming over the top. It was leading to a lot of shots off the toe and really weak pushes out to the right. Really got the feel for keeping my hands/arms out in front of my chest through the downswing during the last half of my 2nd bucket of balls today. I'll try to drill it a bit more tomorrow.

Tuesday is lesson day! Boy do I need it. I'm still struggling in areas that I had considered the strengths of my game in the past. With the final month's push towards The Morgan Cup, it's time to start playing better golf and getting back to enjoying the game.

Have fun tonight ddec. Worst case, you can always just hit punch shots lol! My lesson is tomorrow. 30 minutes on the range and then we're playing a round at a country club north of here. Excited to see what that's like.

Tuesday is lesson day! Boy do I need it. I'm still struggling in areas that I had considered the strengths of my game in the past. With the final month's push towards The Morgan Cup, it's time to start playing better golf and getting back to enjoying the game.

Its amazing how much fun it is to look forward to lessons. Sometimes they can spot the simplest things and get us on our way to having fun by playing better!

I spent 2+ hours at the range for 3 consecutive days over the weekend for probably the first time in over 5 years. Injuries and 4 surgeries the last few years have prevented my from doing long range sessions. Of the 1000+ balls I hit over the weekend, 90% were full shots. By day 3 my contact was much crisper and I also feel stronger and more flexible. Shot dispersion is much tighter as well. I actually haven't had a range session as good as the last one in over a decade - I was hitting my long irons as crisply as my wedges - something that I haven't felt in years.

Hope to play 18 later today......I'll probably shoot 5 over my index ;-}

Its amazing how much fun it is to look forward to lessons. Sometimes they can spot the simplest things and get us on our way to having fun by playing better!

I usually feel somewhat better after a lesson. Until the weekend comes and I feel down again haha

It's been soggy so they had us hitting off the confidence mats yesterday. Hit 'em good.

Looking for a little advice on sand play folks.

First off, my bunker practice time has gone from regular to almost none since I left my club, so I know that's part of the equation.

I'm bouncing the club off the sand and hitting it thin quite a bit. Do you guys think that's an angle of attack issue? I will say that the courses I play have very firm sand, sometimes even a little crusty. I hit behind the ball, can even see where it hit, but it bounces and slides too high in the sand.

Hawk I'm no expect sand player but maybe be sure your getting you weight started over your front foot. I find that when my weight is more centered that I start hitting it a little thin. Also a thing I read in one of the golf mags was that you don't want to extend through the shot. They showed a drill with a rope about 3 feet in front of the guy and said you basically want to collapse your left arm in as you follow through. Hope that helps some.

That makes sense. I've been trying to almost the opposite by holding my V. Sort of frustrating because I was really good out of the sand (relatively speaking) last year and this year have been pretty spotty.

That makes sense. I've been trying to almost the opposite by holding my V. Sort of frustrating because I was really good out of the sand (relatively speaking) last year and this year have been pretty spotty.

Its feels odd to collapse your arm but it should help. Now out the fairway bunker where your trying to get cleaner and ball first holding the V is fine. I need to get back to the bunker I have switched wedges and this newer one has a little more bounce so I need to get used to that in the sand.

Its feels odd to collapse your arm but it should help. Now out the fairway bunker where your trying to get cleaner and ball first holding the V is fine. I need to get back to the bunker I have switched wedges and this newer one has a little more bounce so I need to get used to that in the sand.

Our time in the bunker at Metamora was not pretty lol, at least on my part. I'll get it back. May have to head to one of the courses with a bunker and just spend an hour there.

First off, my bunker practice time has gone from regular to almost none since I left my club, so I know that's part of the equation.

I'm bouncing the club off the sand and hitting it thin quite a bit. Do you guys think that's an angle of attack issue? I will say that the courses I play have very firm sand, sometimes even a little crusty. I hit behind the ball, can even see where it hit, but it bounces and slides too high in the sand.

I'm a decent sand player, so I'll offer my advice since you asked - though realize you're getting advice from a high handicapper.

I'd agree that weight on the front foot is important. Additionally, you cannot set your wrists too early on a sand shot.

However, the number one thing on a sand shot is to hear that solid thump of club on sand. Focusing on that will make sure you really slap the sand behind the ball with the club and help keep you from thinning it.

Finally, make sure you finish by rotating your body all the way to the target.

Note that if your sand is really heavy (i.e wet and packed), you may have to play with a much more square face that you normally would.

I had another range session today. ACP's are coming along nicely. I'm planning on range time everyday I work till the MC. Plus playing every time I can while not at work.

Our time in the bunker at Metamora was not pretty lol, at least on my part. I'll get it back. May have to head to one of the courses with a bunker and just spend an hour there.

Or make your way to Des Plaines and practice here with me

ShortGame1559_zps31218055.jpg

The best bunker tip I've recieved it to make sure that you are accelerating through the sand. I was told a lot of the time amateurs focus so much on where they hit the sand that they stop the swing and need to get through it

I'm a decent sand player, so I'll offer my advice since you asked - though realize you're getting advice from a high handicapper.

I'd agree that weight on the front foot is important. Additionally, you cannot set your wrists too early on a sand shot.

However, the number one thing on a sand shot is to hear that solid thump of club on sand. Focusing on that will make sure you really slap the sand behind the ball with the club and help keep you from thinning it.

Finally, make sure you finish by rotating your body all the way to the target.

Note that if your sand is really heavy (i.e wet and packed), you may have to play with a much more square face that you normally would.

That's the thing. I set up open, weight forward, and try to get steep. I hear the club thump the sand, then it bounces right up. I get a little divot about the size of a baseball. Weird stuff. Same thing I did last year without any issues. I'd like to blame the clubs if at all possible :D

Or make your way to Des Plaines and practice here with me

ShortGame1559_zps31218055.jpg

Nice!

That's the thing. I set up open, weight forward, and try to get steep. I hear the club thump the sand, then it bounces right up. I get a little divot about the size of a baseball. Weird stuff. Same thing I did last year without any issues. I'd like to blame the clubs if at all possible :D

Sounds like it may be too firm for a traditional blast. Maybe try squaring the face up some and playing more of a chip than a blast.

Or, perhaps use a lower-bounce club like your 60, if it's low-bounce.

Sounds like it may be too firm for a traditional blast. Maybe try squaring the face up some and playing more of a chip than a blast.

That's a good idea. It is really firm. Not resort sand for sure. Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm new here and was hoping to get some ideas. I was wondering what you guys and gals are using for practice at the house. I would love to be able to get to the range but with 3 kids one being a 6 month old it is rare. So I am in the process of setting up a "backyard range" of sorts. I just recieved a mat which i think will work well from allturfmats.com it's the ultimate monster mat that has multiple densities to allow hitting down and through. I take a fairly deep divot(1/2" to 3/4" usually) so time will tell if this holds up or not. I will start assembling a 10'x10' hitting enclosure this weekend and order net soon so i can hit some real balls. I also have a twenty pack of birdie balls i use when i can get to the park, since they travel a little to far for my back yard(60yds or so). If you haven't used these things they are truely remarkable, they feel and travel(i.e. ball flight) just like an actual ball just not as far. I use alignment sticks everytime I practice and it has helped greatly with consistent setup.

So now that you have an idea of what I have let me know what are some of the "essential to you" training aids. I really like the break away clubs but haven't bought one yet. Any practice balls that feel and fly better than the wiffle balls but only travel 30 yds. or so? I'm open to any and all suggestions or advice.

Welcome to THP Bigshake! I feel your pain with the limited practice time. I think you've got a pretty good set up going there. Only thing I have in addition to that at home is an impact bag type thing and a big exercise ball to keep myself from sliding so much.

ddec, how'd the lesson go? It's raining here today, but I'm holding out hope that it'll stop and I'll get mine in.

Hey Hawk, I have seen the impact bags but how are you utilizing the medicine ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back