The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out this morning and played 8 holes at the junior par-3 course. Finished the 8-holes at 4-over (would have been 3-over, but I missed the last 4-footer when my alarm went off in the middle of putting stroke).

Love all the Morgan Cup prep going on right now. I am trying to spend as much time on the course right now as I can. My range game is fine. Need to make sure I think my way around the course a little better.

Went to practice putting the other day but they had top dressed the putting green. So I went to work on pitching and chipping but just wasn't really feeling it. So I left after about a 100 shots..no need on working on things when your really just not into it.

Range went well today. I spent about an hour in the short game area mostly focusing on pitching and chipping.
Did some continued short and mid irons on the range.

Longer clubs get a workout tomorrow

I also spent about an hour working on 3-foot and 5-foot putts in a circle. I was in such a zone the grounds keeper came over and asked me to change holes occasionally so I didn't wear out that one hole. I was a little embarrassed I'd forgotten to do that, but it was kind of humorous too.

Got back to the range tonight. Overall, good ball striking. Still working on improving my extension and release.

Went to the range today to try and get some semblance of my swing back. Ended up hitting a bucket then taking a small bucket to the chipping green and worked on 40 yards and in. Spent about 1.5 hours there and really felt some progress on what has been the strongest part of my game thusfar. Finished the session off with about 45 minutes on the putting green (it was busy).

Feeling much more confident with my short game from 80 yards in. Can't wait to get another lesson and get my irons and drivers back in order and head back out for another 18!

Went through a large bucket today. It was mostly drills, with about 30 short pitches at the end, using my 60* wedge.

After that, it was putting & chipping practice, which was cut short due to all the white fluff in the air from the willow trees near the chipping green. Mosquitoes were bad, too.

It was one of those sessions where you start to question if working on the drills is doing anything to help. Last time out, it was much better, so I'm still optimistic that I'm on the right track.

I didn't even realize it until now, but I haven't had a range session (aside from hitting before playing a round) in like 8 months. Woah.

Am I the only one that has issues hitting the ball at ranges with crappy grass? Our ranges here all suck. Either the grass is good with hardly any targets or there are tons of flags and terrible grass. Annoying.

I'm hoping to get something in today, but storms are making that less likely every minute. Lame.

Had a range session Friday to work on long iron ballstriking (4i) and the big dog (particularly trying to draw it). Successful on the first count, not so much on the second. I was trying to practice an inside-out move to get the draw going, but all I got was mostly slight pushes and every so often a basically straight ball. Anyone have any tips on that?

And Hawk, yeah, I HATE crappy grass. I avoid ranges like that in all cases - I'd rather have no targets with good grass.

Had a range session Friday to work on long iron ballstriking (4i) and the big dog (particularly trying to draw it). Successful on the first count, not so much on the second. I was trying to practice an inside-out move to get the draw going, but all I got was mostly slight pushes and every so often a basically straight ball. Anyone have any tips on that?

And Hawk, yeah, I HATE crappy grass. I avoid ranges like that in all cases - I'd rather have no targets with good grass.

Interesting. I go back and forth. I'll even tee it up or stretch the ropes out a little if it's bad enough. I get bored with no targets at times.

Best one here is at TPC Deere Run, but that's not really a practice range. You get balls with your round, but that's about it.

Am I the only one that has issues hitting the ball at ranges with crappy grass? Our ranges here all suck. Either the grass is good with hardly any targets or there are tons of flags and terrible grass. Annoying.

I'm hoping to get something in today, but storms are making that less likely every minute. Lame.

What passes for grass at my closest range is really pathetic. It takes forever to hit a bucket because you're constantly moving around trying to find a decent patch. I've pretty much just given up and decided to hit from their crappy mats instead. Yes - nobody likes hitting from mats, but it gives me the ability to just focus on my swing and not be constantly fiddling with my lie.

Fortunately, the other ranges which are a bit farther away have excellent grass.

What passes for grass at my closest range is really pathetic. It takes forever to hit a bucket because you're constantly moving around trying to find a decent patch. I've pretty much just given up and decided to hit from their crappy mats instead. Yes - nobody likes hitting from mats, but it gives me the ability to just focus on my swing and not be constantly fiddling with my lie.

Fortunately, the other ranges which are a bit farther away have excellent grass.

I almost went to the mats yesterday. Stupid ranges.

Interesting. I go back and forth. I'll even tee it up or stretch the ropes out a little if it's bad enough. I get bored with no targets at times.

Best one here is at TPC Deere Run, but that's not really a practice range. You get balls with your round, but that's about it.

Ask in the pro shop whether they have a range-only fee. A course I played in Florida had a great practice facility. I went over there one day and asked if it was possible for me to pay to use the range even if I wasn't playing that day. To my surprise, they said sure - just pay the $10 range fee. What a deal that was. All the balls you want on a beautiful grass range, great short game area and two putting greens for $10? Heck yeah I paid that.

Ask in the pro shop whether they have a range-only fee. A course I played in Florida had a great practice facility. I went over there one day and asked if it was possible for me to pay to use the range even if I wasn't playing that day. To my surprise, they said sure - just pay the $10 range fee. What a deal that was. All the balls you want on a beautiful grass range, great short game area and two putting greens for $10? Heck yeah I paid that.

I might just do that. It's a mental thing for me. I just can't get comfy it seems. I'm fragile!

a course with a great practice facility near me does that too. $25 per hour or $50 for the day. It's kind of pricey, but the facilities are top notch.

I will typically scan the driving range before buying a bucket. Nothing worse than having a full bucket of balls and walking to areas of nothing but bare dirt. Early in the season here, that is a terrible problem at ranges. (I usually try to do early morning weekend range sessions to avoid this problem.)

The bigger pet peeve for me is uneven lies at ranges. I don't expect everything perfectly flat, but it annoys me to no end when I have to hit off of a downhill or side hill (or combination) lie because the range wants to eek out every inch of grass.

It's settled. I need to open my own driving range. You guys are welcome to come.

It's settled. I need to open my own driving range. You guys are welcome to come.

even me? as long as they don't have mats, you've seen what they do to my game

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Went to the range after my round to try and figure out what the crap went wrong on the course. I got there and forgot they are closed on Mondays except for the ball dispenser.

A mom showed up with her son (5yr old) and were gonna leave when I told them about the ball machine. He cheered up and almost ran to get his clubs.

I got my small bucket and hit the mat next to him, changed shoes as I watched him swing away while mom tried to help him.

I hit some balls then made a tee change for him and a couple pointers. Mom thanked me and said to him see I told you, he retorted "you set me up"! Me and the mom just laughed at that. Kid had good swing basics just too far away from the ball. He was hitting driver about 70 yards and was having a ball. Heck he wanted to hit another bucket after his already 50 balls.

Me well after about 7 less than stellar shots I got it all figured out (for the moment) and started pounding ball after ball beautifully! Switched clubs several times and was flushing everything, got the driver out and 7/8 were beautiful with the one probably still playable.

I worked on getting the club back straighter, hands high then just uncoiling and following through down the line. I also used the stop in go drill- take the club to the top hold it there then finish the swing.

I hope I can take it to the course tomorrow!

Last edited:
Chipping and putting practice today.
una5u3a3.jpg

Spent a little time on the putting green, today. Really need to have some improvement in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back