That post

aka GolfOrElse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Boycotting
I've been mulling over the idea of this thread for a while now. In the past, I've had dedicated threads for putting, swing work, and other topics that popped up throughout my journey back to golf. Inspired by @ryang13 , @ttucliffhanger , and @McLovin fantastic threads, I've decided to create my own as a centralized log for my journey back to good golf.

You might be asking what "The Road to Red" means? Great question! My road to red is the quest for me to shoot an under-par complete round of golf. I've come close to that goal, shooting a very satisfying -3 on 9 holes in 2023, but I've never been able to keep it together for a whole 18.

I was able to work my way down to a 4.3 low cap (a low handicap index on the Grint scoring app) in June of 2023, but then my golf game fell apart after a mid-season injury, and my scores skyrocketed. As of now, I'm a 7.5 on Grint (I'm not paying the USGA any further fees🖕). But over the past month of playing less, my body has started to heal, and I'm putting up some pretty good numbers lately I even managed to squeeze in a couple of rounds in the 70s to close out the year.

This process will be a valuable tool for me. To vocalize what I'm thinking about, how I'm progressing, and how I'm going to obtain those red numbers is going to be great. There are several different aspects of my game that I need to work on to realize this goal. I'll evaluate what those things are, track my progress in those areas, analyze my swing mechanics, and share key practice drills here. I haven't created SMART goals yet (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound), but I'm sure I will at some point and will share them here too.

Right now, I know what I need to continue working on. I'll keep posting about my swing work here, focusing on ironing out path issues and grooving the swing I want this offseason. Once we get back to the golf course, I'll re-evaluate where I'm at and set specific goals to pursue on my way to this overarching goal of red.

I look forward to sharing this journey with all of you. I'll be posting a lot of videos, self-analysis, journal entries, you name it. If there's anything specific you'd like to know about or see along the way, please let me know!

Last edited:
Good luck and excited to follow along.

I like this, best of luck! I'll be following along closely, because I think this is a goal of mine for 2024 also!

For the past two years, I've been working out consistently four times a week, but without a structured plan. I just went to the gym, tossed around some weights, maybe hopped on the treadmill, and called it a day. What I've learned is that even with regular exercise, you can't outwork a bad diet. Over the last quarter alone, I've gained almost 20 pounds, and I'm determined to change that. It has only been 2 days but I've cut out almost all sweets, despite my well-documented love affair with them before the Victory Cup. (I'll admit yesterday I did sneak in four Reeses Animal crackers—they're seriously addictive!)

So, here's the plan. I've returned to the low-carb, high-protein diet that helped me reach my goal weight in 2022. To ensure effective and focused training, I've utilized AI to create a personalized workout plan that I'm committed to following and adapting as needed. This plan is already laid out for the entire first quarter in my calendar app. And in spring, when the weather permits, I'll ditch the golf cart and get back to walking my morning 9 holes just like I did in 2022. Doing all of this will boost my power and overall stamina, which will be key to maintaining my energy throughout 18 holes.

Love this. Good luck and looking forward to following along!

Following, obviously. If only for the terrible circles but quality editing balance. 😉

Have faith you'll get there man. Bound to happen. 👊🏻

Following, obviously. If only for the terrible circles but quality editing balance. 😉

Have faith you'll get there man. Bound to happen. 👊🏻
The red circles-ish’s will feature large. You know this.. but they won’t be the thing “improving” 🤣

Yessir! Let’s go my man.
Its Gonna Happen Jeff Cannata GIF by The Dungeon Run

Looking forward to following your progress! Thanks for being willing to share your journey!

Good luck my dude! Excited to see the progress!

Heck yes! Let’s goooo!!!

Love this! Good luck and I’m looking forward to following.

Good luck lil fella!! I'll be out to the Nati in the summer to put you through a real workout and watch you shoot under par for the 4th time in 2024.
coleman ronnie GIF

Looking forward to following your progress.

This will be a fun follow!

Can't wait to follow!

Good luck lil fella!! I'll be out to the Nati in the summer to put you through a real workout and watch you shoot under par for the 4th time in 2024.
coleman ronnie GIF
LFG!! I can’t wait for @Deebo76 boot camp!

Lets Fight About It GIF

Go get it!

Good luck on your quest to get better!

Can’t wait to follow along. I think you do it by July. Get after it!

One of my good friends is a 5.6 index and shot a 69 (-3) in October of this year from our 1-up tees which are 6500yds and rated at 72.5 or something. This was one of the better rounds of the year at our club and tied for the low score of any round at our club on the Black or Gold (tips) tees in 2023. So it's definitely possible and in your range

Please, someone ask who it was tied with.

You got this and I will be following along!

Figured I would post my workout routine if others are curious or to get feedback on it.

Each day starts with 20-30min of cardio. Usually jogging on the treadmill but sometimes I switch it up and do row machine or elliptical.
IMG_7908.jpeg

Stability has been a big focus for me. I often get wobbly in my finish and besides that not looking good on camera I’m sure it effecting the quality of my ball striking.

After 2 weeks of this routine my balance is getting somewhat better.
trim.5231B930-2F07-4CCC-A155-1C5729545948.gif

Back