Probably not a resurgence…

Call me when companies market an “accuracy spec” driver that has a 460cc head, but is like 12* and 43 inches.

3-4 that have had BRNR in the bag I think. Couple Titleist guys recently I think, and if PXG and Callaway get a couple. Still very niche but I there will be a few in bags for a while
That’s a literal drop in the bucket.

Probably not a resurgence…

Call me when companies market an “accuracy spec” driver that has a 460cc head, but is like 12* and 43 inches.
I talked to some of the Callaway team during our Grandaddy year and they agreed that a shorter driver with full size head (and potentially more loft) would be better for most golfers as it would be more forgiving with the larger head size. The problem is that it is hard to educate the consumer and it is also difficult for big box stores in that they would need more of the shorter shafts and heads weighted correctly for them. If they put a longer shaft in the head meant for the shorter driver or vice versa or could be a negative experience for the person demoing the club as the swingweight could be way off.

I think it goes in and out based on what is going on on tour. For me, I've toyed with the idea of the 2nd, smaller, "control" driver and it doesn't really work for me because it's such a niche purpose. I find that something like a TSR2+ (i.e. bigger, deeper faced fairway) balances well the extra forgiveness compared to a standard fairway while keeping some versatility to be able to still hit it off the deck reliably.

It is still very niche. I have one because it’s like a big forgiving 3w for off the tee when driver is too much.

I don't think so but I could be very wrong. Just don't see it catching on across the board.

I really hope we see a resurgence of them. I am a massive fan of them, and greatly prefer one over a 3W. Part of the reason why my SLDR Mini Driver still finds its way in to the bag.

That’s a literal drop in the bucket.
I guess to your first post, what did the "good old days" look like for them? Admittedly I didn't really pay much attention to them until around the Original One

I guess to your first post, what did the "good old days" look like for them? Admittedly I didn't really pay much attention to them until around the Original One
Haha, there were no good old days, that’s why I didn’t write that!

Always a niche club, but I thought the convo could be pretty fun!

And, I love them. 🤣

Haha, there were no good old days, that’s why I didn’t write that!

Always a niche club, but I thought the convo could be pretty fun!

And, I love them. 🤣
Ya, when you wrote resurgence my mind went to "more than one OEM has one for sale and/or has them in stock" haha

Are we currently seeing a REAL resurgence of the Mini Driver? Or, is it all just another quick phase?

Yes, TMaG has continued to release one, but even then it is definitely a niche club. But, with pictures of Titleist, Callaway, and PXG versions floating about, could we be seeing a bit of a longer renaissance of the sub 400cc mini if ANY of those were to come to general release?
I think so.. In fact I started this thread a few days ago because I think it would be a perfect addition..

Secondary tee club that hits a specific distance short of what driver would, but with more ease than a fairway wood.

I am in. I dont like the current batch of TM mini's.. For me.. They are not mini enough.. I like that 275'ish cc head size more.

I just read that Rory had one in the bag for the RBC last week.

I am in. I dont like the current batch of TM mini's.. For me.. They are not mini enough.. I like that 275'ish cc head size more.
I think the latest TM mini is perfect. Big fan, and it looks badass.

I’m a big fan. After getting fit, the benefits of the mini driver were very apparent. I think you will continue to see less than 460 cc drivers. After the golf ball rollback, I wouldn’t be surprised if the USGA/R&A eventually made the limit on driver size +/- 400cc.

What need are they supposed to address?
Less than driver that they can wail on? Lol

I'm kind of serious though. 3W or so distance off the tee (3+) that's bigger and more forgiving than a typical fairway but at that more controllable length.

I love them. Part of me hopes they are here to stay. My wallet hopes it's a fad so I don't upgrade.

I still think a good number of amateurs may score better with a 43" 'driver' in the bag compared to the typical offerings.

Not for the entire tournament I don’t think
It was in there at least the first 3 days. I dont know about Sunday. I didn't watch.

Less than driver that they can wail on? Lol

I'm kind of serious though. 3W or so distance off the tee (3+) that's bigger and more forgiving than a typical fairway but at that more controllable length.
That’s about it. I hit my 3w the same distance, the mini is just more forgiving as a tee option.

I’m a big fan. After getting fit, the benefits of the mini driver were very apparent. I think you will continue to see less than 460 cc drivers. After the golf ball rollback, I wouldn’t be surprised if the USGA/R&A eventually made the limit on driver size +/- 400cc.
Are we really CONTINUING to see less than though? It’s not like mini’s are selling by the thousands and thousands. I’d actually bet the number is WAAAAAY smaller than people think, similar to how many blade sets actually sell. What do you think @JB ?

Just bought one today on a whim. Bought it blind with no major expectations…. Will see how this experiment goes! 🤞🏻

I have had 2 mini drivers and I'm honestly not sure why I took them out of the bag. I had to go back to 2021 in shotscope to find the last time I had one but it looks something like this...

1713989496518.png

Compare that to the 3 drivers I currently rotate between...
1713989582626.png

Unlike most, I went to a mini driver at the time because I couldn't control a driver at all but would (and still do) hit my 3w off the deck very well. I hit the mini driver off the deck just like I do a 3w. I feel like I need to put it back in the bag for a few rounds soon and see what happens.

These are the 2 that I still have in the garage

Back