Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Are we currently seeing a REAL resurgence of the Mini Driver? Or, is it all just another quick phase?

Yes, TMaG has continued to release one, but even then it is definitely a niche club. But, with pictures of Titleist, Callaway, and PXG versions floating about, could we be seeing a bit of a longer renaissance of the sub 400cc mini if ANY of those were to come to general release?

I know in the THP bubble a lot of people are/have entertaining going 2 drivers. I'm honestly not sure how popular or not the concept is outside of THP. But having a big choice of mini's available for that has to be appealing. It does seem like we are headed for a mini driver renaissance.

as one of the biggest mini driver fans, i think this is just a phase.

I love that other OEM's other than TaylorMade are designing their own version but the mini drivers dont seem to have any staying power in players bags. I know Fleetwood, Bryson, and Phil have used them on numerous occasions but still seems to be very niche.

PXG's mini leaked months ago and as far as i know i havent heard of an actual release. The Titleist mini sounds like it will be limited tour only. Callaway has both mini versions testing last week so those are probably prototypes to see what is more preferred

Most amateurs are not as into golf talk and tech as this community so they wont understand the point of a mini driver when they think they already struggle to hit a normal driver

I think there's some tech and equipment changes that have led to it being something that could get a little more use. It's niche, but tour needs are niche and if you're making someone for them you might as well sell it too.

• Staff
I think there's some tech and equipment changes that have led to it being something that could get a little more use. It's niche, but tour needs are niche and if you're making someone for them you might as well sell it too.
Eh. We will see, what, a handful on Tour?

And as for if you’re making them you might as well sell them, I agree, IF you can keep your quantities SUPER low, and I do mean SUPER low.

Maybe. I think it's more of a trend that will come and go and come back again. Like all things.

I'm more surprised we haven't seen a bigger push for utility irons, considering the hot streak Srixon has been on.

As a mini driver evangelist, I genuinely think a lot of casual players would genuinely be happier with some flavor of short, high-lofted driver. The problem is that distance is what sells woods.

It is interesting seeing a few pros put them in play but I remember at the Grandaddy being told that the mini driver segment just wasn't making money. There weren't enough people buying them.

I just don't see it getting much traction

I think this is a fit more for the Tour,
As swing and ball speeds have increased, causing the ball to go too far on smaller courses to be in prime scoring areas.
The Mini allows those golfers to be in better positions on the course.

Could the Mini be the answer to shorten distances instead of changing the ball?

Eh. We will see, what, a handful on Tour?

And as for if you’re making them you might as well sell them, I agree, IF you can keep your quantities SUPER low, and I do mean SUPER low.
And the number that try it for a couple events or something is always way more than the few who actually use it for a while. It's just a pretty unique need.

Never bagged one but got curious and order a TM that will see its first action this Saturday. I have 5 holes on my home course that it should come in handy. The boy caveat is I really like hitting 3 wood so we will see

And the number that try it for a couple events or something is always way more than the few who actually use it for a while. It's just a pretty unique need.
Absolutely.

Such a wild thing.

But dammit I love them hahahaha

I don't think it will totally take off on tour

BUT, as a Mini driver player. I do appreciate the ability to draw it off the tee when I need it, and for my game, I'm never hitting a 3 wood off the deck into a green so I'd rather have the flexibility off the tee. I think that's why we see a little more of it on tour as of recently

What need are they supposed to address?

Secondary tee club that hits a specific distance short of what driver would, but with more ease than a fairway wood.

I think more and more tour players like to cut the driver, and a mini driver can let them draw something easier without giving up a ton of distance.

Secondary tee club that hits a specific distance short of what driver would, but with more ease than a fairway wood.
Ok, that makes sense. I don't even carry a 3w anymore, and love hitting my 5w off the tee, so probably not much use for me. Though with some added driver distance I've found recently, the gap between the 2 has widened. Hmmm...

Ok, that makes sense. I don't even carry a 3w anymore, and love hitting my 5w off the tee, so probably not much use for me. Though with some added driver distance I've found recently, the gap between the 2 has widened. Hmmm...
They’re fun. But, they’re imo a wasted club in a lot of people’s bags.

On tour I think it could have a little bit of staying power. At retail, I sort of feel like if there was enough demand for a surge/resurgence we'd see an OEM try a ~43.5" 460cc model

On tour I think it could have a little bit of staying power. At retail, I sort of feel like if there was enough demand for a surge/resurgence we'd see an OEM try a ~43.5" 460cc model
You think so on Tour? There are what, 3-4 actually in bags?

This is exactly my feelings on them. They're limited to a handful of courses per player depending on distances and shot shapes, likely not a permanent fixture in any bag on tour. When you're good enough and have enough pull to say, "I need this specific thing that only sort of exists", they have the means to produce it. If they can make a few bucks back selling them to the likes of us, more power to them.

You think so on Tour? There are what, 3-4 actually in bags?
3-4 that have had BRNR in the bag I think. Couple Titleist guys recently I think, and if PXG and Callaway get a couple. Still very niche but I there will be a few in bags for a while

My buddy has one and uses it when he needs to turn the ball over left to right (he's a lefty) as he has his driver set up to primarily hit a straight ball or fade. He can also hit it off the deck. He then goes to a 5w. He didn't want to give up too much distance with the 3w off the tee when trying to draw it so that's why he went with the mini.

Back