The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

These guys that cashed in are starting to see the damage it seems.
From my perspective I think these guys saw an opportunity to be paid what they felt they were worth and knew the current PGAT structure would never get them there.

Are they worth that much, imo no but if you have an entity that will pay it then grab the bag and go. We can talk legacy, integrity, love of the game and all of that separately but if it wasn’t about the money the PIP never comes into the picture.

I still think Jay notched this whole thing by not taking this to the whole pgat player pool to vote on taking PIF $$. If he did I think we see a better tour, structured team golf and still offering a pathway for Korn Ferry or DPWT players

Last edited:
Or they realize Monahan has no ground to stand on and be an ass about it all anymore.
coming from both sides it sounds like everyone realizes that it is not good. It is not just a Monohan thing. As terrible as he is.

From my perspective I think these guys saw an opportunity to be paid what they felt they were worth and knew the current PGAT structure would never get hem there.

Are they worth that much, imo no but if you have an entity that will pay it then grab the bag and go. We can talk legacy, integrity, love of the game and all of that separately but if it wasn’t about the money the PIP never comes into the picture.

I still think Jay notched this whole thing by not taking this to the whole pgat player pool to vote on taking PIF $$. If he did I think we see a better tour, structured team golf and still offering a pathway for Korn Ferry or DPWT players
Jay botched it from the very beginning. I think if he had said.. Sure go play those silly events and you can still play here. It would have died much sooner.. He messed it up.

Jay botched it from the very beginning. I think if he had said.. Sure go play those silly events and you can still play here. It would have died much sooner.. He messed it up.
I don't know. Those LIV contracts are rather tight. They HAVE to play 14 LIV events. Add in the 15 PGA Tour events necessary for keeping a card and you are looking at a long season for those guys. The LIV guys would have stopped playing tour events eventually.

I don't know. Those LIV contracts are rather tight. They HAVE to play 14 LIV events. Add in the 15 PGA Tour events necessary for keeping a card and you are looking at a long season for those guys. The LIV guys would have stopped playing tour events eventually.
That wouldn’t have been the number requirement though more than likely if douche bag Jay had actually negotiated with them.

From my perspective I think these guys saw an opportunity to be paid what they felt they were worth and knew the current PGAT structure would never get them there.

Not a soul alive who wouldn't have jumped on this life changing money train, including the 2 faced Jimmy Dunne.

Maybe the 14 Liv events is like semi retirement and guys are good with that.

Revisionist history.
That’s not what happened. It was a small amount of super events packed with the best in the world for huge dollars. Jay said no.

Funny how Bryson and others are complaining that they want to play more PGA tournaments other than the majors LOL! So why did you go to LIV Dummy? LOL! You went for the money so STFU

Yup. remember the early players saying that they could play LESS golf and have more time with their families. LIV contracts commit the players to play in all their events- ends up being 14. The PGAT membership requires the players play in 15 (not to mention the tour championship which is up to another 3). So a LIV player to also hold his PGAT card could conceivably be playing 32 weeks a year.

But I have to think that the LIV golfers wanted to pick and choose PGAT events not necessarily play in 15. Pretty hypocritical on their part to want PGAT to change their requirements while they are not pressing LIV to change theirs.

Honestly, I'd welcome back the LIV golfers to the PGAT on condition that they comply with the 15 tournament requirement. I doubt that they could do it, physically and mentally.

Maybe the 14 Liv events is like semi retirement and guys are good with that.
If they're happy, I'm happy.
Revisionist history.
That’s not what happened. It was a small amount of super events packed with the best in the world for huge dollars. Jay said no.
Maybe/probably. I'm not doing revisionist history though. I'm just conjecturing.

This is so good.

I cannot tell you how badly I want one of them to win it.

Other than Reed and Sergio
My money is on Brooks or Jon

I think it would have been like the Aramco Series. Just a few events and just a side gig for a different format and not taking over the LPGA or LET. It just escalated to what it is now.

I think it would have been like the Aramco Series. Just a few events and just a side gig for a different format and not taking over the LPGA or LET. It just escalated to what it is now.
Yeah they could have added to the PGA tour instead of starting a big league in retrospect. Baby steps.

The original idea for LIV was just 8 events, which even that would have been a lot for the PGAT to squeeze in, but that idea was denied by Arnold and company years ago, not Jay. The later plan was never for a short Aramco type series, it was always going to be a tour with 14+ events, not sure why LIV fans keep pressing this notion that the PGAT could have worked with LIV to make everyone happy, it's BS, and they did the right thing saying no.

The only way it could have worked is if the PGAT told many legacy events, with all the sponsors and people involved, that they were ending those tournaments for a new LIV league paid by the Saudis, it would have been bedlam in pro golf, never was going to happen.

Last edited:
The original idea for LIV was just 8 events, which even that would have been a lot for the PGAT to squeeze in, but that idea was denied by Arnold and company years ago, not Jay. The later plan was never for a short Aramco type series, it was always going to be a tour with 14+ events, not sure why LIV fans keep pressing this notion that the PGAT could have worked with LIV to make everyone happy, it's BS, and they did the right thing saying no.

The only way it could have worked is if the PGAT told many legacy events, with all the sponsors and people involved, that they were ending those tournaments for a new LIV league paid by the Saudis, it would have been bedlam in pro golf, never was going to happen.
False.

8 events would not been a lot for the PGA tour to deal with. First, the PGA would not have to squeeze LIV events to the PGA schedule. LIV would have just been a side gig where some PGA players would play a couple times a year and it would have likely been only by LIV invitation. The PGA tour contracts still have a maximum 3 tournament limit to allow PGA players to play elsewhere. The PGA would not have to really work with LIV, they would have just had to allow their players to play LIV for maximum of 3 events. I'd bet money that LIV would not have been able to get top PGA players if the they could play both the PGA and LIV. LIV would have had much weaker fields.

Where is the information that says that LIV's goal was always going to be 14+ events?

I actually lean toward Bryson 😳
No Way Omg GIF by Lifetime

8 events would not been a lot for the PGA tour to deal with. First, the PGA would not have to squeeze LIV events to the PGA schedule. LIV would have just been a side gig where some PGA players would play a couple times a year and it would have likely been only by LIV invitation. The PGA tour contracts still have a maximum 3 tournament limit to allow PGA players to play elsewhere. The PGA would not have to really work with LIV, they would have just had to allow their players to play LIV for maximum of 3 events. I'd bet money that LIV would not have been able to get top PGA players if the they could play both the PGA and LIV. LIV would have had much weaker fields.

Where is the information that says that LIV's goal was always going to be 14+ events?

LIV is just the PGL rebranded, same thing with full Saudi backing.

"All along, the PGL – elements of which would appear to have been adopted by LIV Golf Investments – had proposed a league that would have 18 events, with a majority in North America."

"Gardiner (PGL) unveils his proposal of an 18-event schedule — 10 events in the U.S. and others in Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East — that could begin in January 2022."

There's no evidence that Greg Norman and the people behind LIV ever intended to keep the new tour to just 8 events, or do something like Aramco, work with the PGAT schedule, they wanted this to be a big tour from day one.

Back