The Home Renovation Thread

That was where we were with the addition/renovation of the house we inherited. Price is not what I would have liked (More than I paid for my brand new house in 2015 in Arkansas), but we are in different times.
My wife wants to do the bathroom of the kitchen is too much but I told her we’re probably better off waiting 6 months and doing the kitchen once we save a little extra. A lot easier to come up with money for a small bathroom than a kitchen

My wife wants to do the bathroom of the kitchen is too much but I told her we’re probably better off waiting 6 months and doing the kitchen once we save a little extra. A lot easier to come up with money for a small bathroom than a kitchen
kitchens can get pricey. We are doing a full kitchen remodel and I think it's the biggest cost room wise, and then the new bathroom.

The easiest DIY project with that made the biggest improvement for me was replacing the single bulb overhead garage lights with multiple panel LEDs in the garage. If you haven’t done it, you should. The LEDs just thread into the existing fixture and only cost around $20 for a two pack at Amazon. The amount of extra light provided is amazing! (LEDs are hard to photograph because of how bright they are.)

View attachment 9243149View attachment 9243150
Just put two of these in and can confirm cheap, simple and significantly more light. 18000 Lumens and 180W. Also you didn't mention that each of those perimeter rectangular panels are adjustable and allow you to direct the light straight down or outwards

We are adding a bedroom above our attached garage as we have a lot of visitors during the summer. Last year we slept 18-23 people in 5 different occasions. We are also having them put a storage closet in the basement utility room as well. The new room above the garage is only 10’ wide but it’s 25’ long with 8’5” ceilings. The original window doesn’t open so we are installing a much larger egress window.

Attachments

• image005.jpeg
    image005.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image006.jpeg
    image006.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image007.jpeg
    image007.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image008.jpeg
    image008.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 7
kitchens can get pricey. We are doing a full kitchen remodel and I think it's the biggest cost room wise, and then the new bathroom.
Our isn’t huge so I’m hoping it won’t be crazy but we’re also doing a full gut and taking down a wall. I told the contractor if it would save us a decent amount we’d do the demo ourselves

Our isn’t huge so I’m hoping it won’t be crazy but we’re also doing a full gut and taking down a wall. I told the contractor if it would save us a decent amount we’d do the demo ourselves
I'm sure it would save you some for sure. That's labor you don't have to pay for.

Hoping to build a deck off the back of the house this spring and potentially getting a start to our kitchen "refresh" sometime this year

Last edited:
Significantly easier. I just finished a full gut and remodel of my small bath and was roughly 5K all-in doing all the work myself. Most of the cost depends on cabinets, appliances and counter material obviously. My plan is roughly 18 mos out for my desperately needed kitchen renov. Plan on just replacing the cabinet doors and painting, LVP floor, granite counters, backsplash and adding a small island. First step I plan on starting soon though is lights. Adding a bunch of the new style recessed LEDs and roughing in a couple of pendants above the island then painting the ceiling. The house was built in 73 and has not had a single upgrade done to it in 50 years. Everything is original including the horrendous lighting. I will be doing all of the work so hoping to keep costs under 10Kish not including a necessary new fridge and an added dishwasher. I replaced the range already. It was also original from 1973 lol. The stove top mostly worked but the oven did not.

136 Hill Rd Listing13.jpeg

I'm wondering. The fluorescent light in my kitchen. It's starting to take a few seconds to come to full brightness after I turn the switch on. They're T8 bulbs. 4' long but the skinnier tubes.

I've replaced the ballasts once already but that was a few years ago.

I'm considering replacing the current light tubes with LED tubes that are compatible with ballasts.

Is this going to solve my light issue or am I going to have to change the ballasts?

I'm wondering. The fluorescent light in my kitchen. It's starting to take a few seconds to come to full brightness after I turn the switch on. They're T8 bulbs. 4' long but the skinnier tubes.

I'm considering replacing the current light tubes with LED tubes that are compatible with ballasts.

Is this going to solve my light issue or am I going to have to change the ballasts?
Old fixtures? Electronic ballasts combined with LED lamps is usually instant on. May need to replace the entire fixtures.

Significantly easier. I just finished a full gut and remodel of my small bath and was roughly 5K all-in doing all the work myself. Most of the cost depends on cabinets, appliances and counter material obviously. My plan is roughly 18 mos out for my desperately needed kitchen renov. Plan on just replacing the cabinet doors and painting, LVP floor, granite counters, backsplash and adding a small island. First step I plan on starting soon though is lights. Adding a bunch of the new style recessed LEDs and roughing in a couple of pendants above the island then painting the ceiling. The house was built in 73 and has not had a single upgrade done to it in 50 years. Everything is original including the horrendous lighting. I will be doing all of the work so hoping to keep costs under 10Kish not including a necessary new fridge and an added dishwasher. I replaced the range already. It was also original from 1973 lol. The stove top mostly worked but the oven did not.

View attachment 9243590
Our house has DIY cabinets that the previous owners put in about 4-5 years ago and they already are falling apart. We got a bathroom quote last year for $10k all in which seemed pretty reasonable. The bathroom is definitely original to the house (1950s). Both really need a remodel but I’d rather get the kitchen out of the way first

Our house has DIY cabinets that the previous owners put in about 4-5 years ago and they already are falling apart. We got a bathroom quote last year for $10k all in which seemed pretty reasonable. The bathroom is definitely original to the house (1950s). Both really need a remodel but I’d rather get the kitchen out of the way first
Yeah that's not unreasonable for a full bath remodel

View attachment 9243590
The original flooring in all your pics is amazing. 😂

Hopefully this will be the summer we get out garage built, but all the material is so damn expensive!

The original flooring in all your pics is amazing. 😂

Hopefully this will be the summer we get out garage built, but all the material is so damn expensive!
I love it! If you drop something on it you can never find it. Its like a kaleidoscope.

From this moving out pic of the 1978 kitchen when the contractors started destroying to a modern kitchen and dining in 2023. Knock out walls, destroy everything to stud ... and voila.

IMG_1507.jpeg

2023 ...
69809127873__634AEDF9-F3A4-4B51-A4BF-0FD0F9D2D068.jpeg

Best to replace the whole fixture. The T8 LED's that work with the ballasts aren't great - you don't get the energy savings because the ballast is what drives the energy usage and the ballasts tend to burn out the diodes faster. The T8 Lamps that work without the ballast put line voltage where it doesn't belong (the tombstones) and make an unsafe fixture.

Anyone dabble in refinishing wood floors before? The oak floors are original to the 1977 house and have never been refinished. I could do it, but wouldn't mind paying to get it done faster (and better). Trying to think through the logistics of living in the house with pets while it happens. The whole house except for the bathrooms and kitchen have the oak floors.

Anyone dabble in refinishing wood floors before? The oak floors are original to the 1977 house and have never been refinished. I could do it, but wouldn't mind paying to get it done faster (and better). Trying to think through the logistics of living in the house with pets while it happens. The whole house except for the bathrooms and kitchen have the oak floors.
I did my trade as a floor layer a million years ago. It'd be better if there was no one there while it was being done due to the dust and polyurethane fumes as well as being a lot faster.

Thank you.

Etsy ... Made in Turkey ... there are several wood makers that deal in "live wood"
I actually am having a table top made from a mill near Half Moon Bay in the NorCal area from a single piece of Douglas Fir.... the slab is/was from a tree cut down in 1973/1974 and the owner of the place has been trying to get rid of stacks and stacks of material for the past 10+ years.... once that table top is sanded up and polyurethane applied, I'll share a picture of the end result.... I would have loved to do it myself but I don't have a workshop big enough :oops: :rolleyes:

The list of projects that I wanted to do last year in the house continued to grow and I didn’t get many finished.

Had some time this weekend with the rain and knocked one of the list with a board and batten wall down our 24’ hallway. Turned out better than I thought.

IMG_2504.jpeg

IMG_2521.jpeg

Next up I will be adding three oak beams on the ceiling down the hallway.

The list of projects that I wanted to do last year in the house continued to grow and I didn’t get many finished.

Had some time this weekend with the rain and knocked one of the list with a board and batten wall down our 24’ hallway. Turned out better than I thought.

View attachment 9243954

View attachment 9243955

I am going to be doing similar with some reclaimed wood from some gym bleachers this summer.

View attachment 9243954

View attachment 9243955

I love the shaker style look

Demo is very easy it probably wouldn't save you that much. My last place had a fairly large kitchen and my contractor did the full demo and cleaning alone in less than a day. It's just a lot of crowbars to cabinets.

So over 2-3 weeks of work, it's not a huge labor cost.

Back