The Home Renovation Thread

So exciting, congrats!
Thanks. It’s been a long time in the works. Glad we are finally started. Fingers crossed it’s a smooth remodel/addition build.

We are doing our main level floors this spring. This includes the living room, my office, kitchen, laundry, and a half bath.
I think we've settled on an LVP and are looking at Pergo DuraCraft +WetProtect

Just curious if anyone has any insight or thoughts as we've never done this before

What a first day. French for footer dug, but not without water line being hit. Water secured, and won’t be delayed.

We are doing our main level floors this spring. This includes the living room, my office, kitchen, laundry, and a half bath.

Just curious if anyone has any insight or thoughts as we've never done this before

We did our kitchen about 18 months ago and used this from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproof-Sterling-Oak-22-MIL-x-8-7-in-W-x-48-in-L-Click-Lock-Waterproof-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-20-1-sqft-case-I966106LP/309083456

The Minister likes it some much we're going to get the dining room done now. Install was pretty easy and it seems to be wearing very well.

We have lvp in the whole downstairs and all bathrooms. Love it. Don't have to worry about the kid spilling stuff, super easy to clean.

Also decided yesterday after some talk with the builder to scratch the LVP other than in the laundry room and the breezeway and continue the hardwood throughout and match stain to the posts and ceiling of the front porch that is being done.

Small potatoes compared to what many of you are doing but I rebuilt a built in bench on the deck this weekend.

LVP is the way to go in my opinion. It is so much improved from basic laminate from a few years ago. Vinyl is inherently waterproof so I'm guessing that "wetprotect" thing is a bit gimmicky. The 20mil thickness should be pretty darn durable but that price of $4 per sq ft is pretty steep. Sounds like you have significant space to cover. It is really easy to DIY. What type of floor is it replacing?

LVP is the way to go in my opinion. It is so much improved from basic laminate from a few years ago. Vinyl is inherently waterproof so I'm guessing that "wetprotect" thing is a bit gimmicky. The 20mil thickness should be pretty darn durable but that price of $4 per sq ft is pretty steep. Sounds like you have significant space to cover. It is really easy to DIY. What type of floor is it replacing?
Taking out carpet and the current kitchen/bathroom/ laundry is sheet vinyl

Also decided yesterday after some talk with the builder to scratch the LVP other than in the laundry room and the breezeway and continue the hardwood throughout and match stain to the posts and ceiling of the front porch that is being done.
There is no substitute for real hardwood

We were going to do LVP in the parts we had to replace (some of house had hardwood floors already), but chose yesterday to continue with hardwood, since it is the smaller pieces and you can still buy it. Builder said he can make if flow without seams between the rooms, so the less plate barriers between rooms we have the better!

Taking out carpet and the current kitchen/bathroom/ laundry is sheet vinyl
So you can put the LVP right on top of the linoleum. No need to pull that up

There is no substitute for real hardwood
Nope. And when builder said he could make it so there was no seams, made it easy choice. Even though it's a little extra cost. We had already planned to pay him to rent the sander for the other rooms to restain, so he said, while I have it, might as well if you want to and are ok with the little extra cost.

So you can put the LVP right on top of the linoleum. No need to pull that up
Right. All in all it shouldn't be overly difficult from what I've seen. I do have a friend who does renos that is going to help too

Right. All in all it shouldn't be overly difficult from what I've seen. I do have a friend who does renos that is going to help too
Good luck with it. Hope it goes well

Day two = Problem # 2...

Builder called as he went down to get the permits for the footer and foundation and got told, oh by the way that house is in a flood zone (we knew this) and you need an inspector (which will be another $400-600) to come out and sign off that the height of your foundation will be ok.

Best case = we get approved to match foundation levels and continue forward (builder thinks this will happen)

Worst case = we have to raise the addition foundation 1', which means we would have a step in each of our bedrooms.

This is not an issue with our daughters room because of where her closet is going, BUT if this has to happen it's an issue with our master bedroom because of layout. Praying an hoping for the best. Builder knows the inspector that we are using, so he feels even if he is leaning towards worst case, he can hopefully explain situation a little better and get approved to continue as planned. This is already not off to a good start...

The easiest DIY project with that made the biggest improvement for me was replacing the single bulb overhead garage lights with multiple panel LEDs in the garage. If you haven’t done it, you should. The LEDs just thread into the existing fixture and only cost around $20 for a two pack at Amazon. The amount of extra light provided is amazing! (LEDs are hard to photograph because of how bright they are.)

IMG_0016.jpegIMG_0017.jpeg

Spent some time today looking for paint options as we are planning on freshening up the dining and kitchen areas

The easiest DIY project with that made the biggest improvement for me was replacing the single bulb overhead garage lights with multiple panel LEDs in the garage. If you haven’t done it, you should. The LEDs just thread into the existing fixture and only cost around $20 for a two pack at Amazon. The amount of extra light provided is amazing! (LEDs are hard to photograph because of how bright they are.)

View attachment 9243149View attachment 9243150
Would you mind providing a link to these, please? Would really appreciate it.

Would you mind providing a link to these, please? Would really appreciate it.
There are dozens of these types of lights to choose from if you search Amazon for garage lights. I tried putting up a link to the ones that I bought but it didn’t work. Mine are Mefflypee 2 pack garage lights
IMG_0435.jpeg

Day two = Problem # 2...

Builder called as he went down to get the permits for the footer and foundation and got told, oh by the way that house is in a flood zone (we knew this) and you need an inspector (which will be another $400-600) to come out and sign off that the height of your foundation will be ok.

Best case = we get approved to match foundation levels and continue forward (builder thinks this will happen)

Worst case = we have to raise the addition foundation 1', which means we would have a step in each of our bedrooms.

This is not an issue with our daughters room because of where her closet is going, BUT if this has to happen it's an issue with our master bedroom because of layout. Praying an hoping for the best. Builder knows the inspector that we are using, so he feels even if he is leaning towards worst case, he can hopefully explain situation a little better and get approved to continue as planned. This is already not off to a good start...
Update...
Problem #1 is fixed. Trench is dry and builder having his peeps come back out today to repack and relay the rebar so we can get it reinspected to pass and pour footer.

Problem #2 is getting there. Surveyor came out while we were gone and thinks we will be ok as is because there is already a house there and it has never flooded. Coming back tomorrow to measure the floors when someone can let him inside the house and then has to turn it in to FEMA for the final decision, but said he thinks we will be ok on initial observation. He said, worst case FEMA will give us two options if they don't approve as planned. Either Raise addition or put in a drainage system around the addition (this would be the option we go with in the worst case scenario), so we will get our original plans. This is great news because having to raise addition is not good for our plans. Fingers crossed that everything goes the way the surveyor feels it will. Should find out end of this week.

Should be getting a quote from a contractor in the next week or two for our kitchen. A little scared to see the price since it’s a fairly big job but it kind of feels like a now or never situation

Should be getting a quote from a contractor in the next week or two for our kitchen. A little scared to see the price since it’s a fairly big job but it kind of feels like a now or never situation
That was where we were with the addition/renovation of the house we inherited. Price is not what I would have liked (More than I paid for my brand new house in 2015 in Arkansas), but we are in different times.

Back