The 60 and over Thread

Hope to get out next week, the rain has been off and on for 4 days. More rain forecast after Tuesday, with this much rain I can only play two courses. The others are quagmires with this much rain.

I went and hit drivers today. Nothing was good enough to justify me spending money. I am still taking my buddys G430 10K to league play Tuesday......... but it will have to be really, really good to sell me.

Just tuned in, and I’m not gonna lie, Mike. I’m a little disappointed.
Are you Amish by any chance?
Someone must have said something to Grace Kim about her outfit yesterday. Today’s outfit is pretty frumpy, but comfortable. Maybe too comfortable as she’s +6.

Someone must have said something to Grace Kim about her outfit yesterday. Today’s outfit is pretty frumpy, but comfortable. Maybe too comfortable as she’s +6.
Mike, I never had you pegged for a fashionista… we gotta get you a show on the Bravo network.

Mike, I never had you pegged for a fashionista… we gotta get you a show on the Bravo network.
I’ll pass. Maybe after you start working for CBS as a golf commentator.

I’ll pass. Maybe after you start working for CBS as a golf commentator.
I don’t think I’d last a week before I punched Jim Nantz in the face.

I’m still considering new irons. Not sure what route to take… build another set of Maltbys, Callaway pre-owned or something in the Cleveland line as I get a decent discount through my course.
If Cleveland, I’m not sure I’d want to get the Halos but I can at least demo them.

First things first. I have to figure out my iron swing. Practiced last night, tried the 3 ball drill, and being totally committed (100% swing). It’s just off the rails right now. But I’ll get it back - at least back to the normal crappy level. Right now I can’t make good contact to save my life.

I love this game! :rolleyes:

You can't go wrong with CPO or the Halos. If cost is an issue, then the Cleveland HB Turbos used are a good choice.

If you build a Halo set and based on what you said about your iron play, I'd add a few Halo hybrids 4, 5, 6.

82 with six lost balls is some pretty darn impressive golf.
That’s the equivalent of a sub 75 round without the penalties!
Thanks! My home course is littered with hazards, and is also littered with my golf balls, which finds those hazards just a bit too often. The consensus among my playing partners is that even though it's the shortest course we play, it's also the most difficult.

Managed two 9's and an 18 last week, for our first week out. Just heard we have a special weather statement with up to 25 cms of snow expected by Thursday morning. Hopefully I'll get out for 9 tonight.

Managed two 9's and an 18 last week, for our first week out. Just heard we have a special weather statement with up to 25 cms of snow expected by Thursday morning. Hopefully I'll get out for 9 tonight.
Holy sh*t! It’s going to be May 1 on Thursday and you’re still getting snow?

You can't go wrong with CPO or the Halos. If cost is an issue, then the Cleveland HB Turbos used are a good choice.

If you build a Halo set and based on what you said about your iron play, I'd add a few Halo hybrids 4, 5, 6.
The doubt I have in the halos is less of an ego thing and more of how I hit my hybrids right now. But I can at least demo them.
Cleveland also offers the Launcher line of irons which look to be fairly forgiving especially with that v sole. Thinking 9-6i with graphite for the Launcher irons, then CBX for all my wedges with steel shafts.

The doubt I have in the halos is less of an ego thing and more of how I hit my hybrids right now. But I can at least demo them.
Cleveland also offers the Launcher line of irons which look to be fairly forgiving especially with that v sole. Thinking 9-6i with graphite for the Launcher irons, then CBX for all my wedges with steel shafts.
If forgiveness is your priority, the Halos or Cobra T Rails are hard to beat.
One thing about the Launchers and the V sole? With most people they either have a love or hate relationship with it. It doesn’t appeal or work for everyone.
I think you might want to give one of the many new HL versions a try? You can get a good deal on the Taylormade Stealth HD’s right now. They play similar to the Halos, but look a little more conventional in the bag.
Either way, take your time, and have fun choosing what you want. 😉

Handicap League against a new guy. He says he is a + 4. I have seen him swing. He would be lucky to be a 14. He will learn the hard way, he is giving me 8 strokes! Vanity caps get you screwed easily.

Me neither! At being a natural..Taken instruction, tips, video, range time, just doesn't equate to on the course. A little daylight last Saturday, when I found a Maxfli Straightfli on 13. It was like everything in my golf world aligned for once! Parred 2 holes back to back, 14 + 15, and bogied the rest of the way in. Felt so good to play that way! Hit all the fairways coming in! If the ball IS the difference, so be it! Bought 2 boxes, so I can "test" out my theory...
I've been able to spend a lot of time the past few years on finding what works for me. I accept that I likely won't be much more than a bogey golfer. There was a time when that seemed unattainable. But working on the wedge game has allowed me to get there. I feel like all I need to do is get with 40 yards of the green on the approach. I'll hit the green somewhere and two putt most times for bogey.

Three things I'm best at. Driving, safe wedge shots and lag putting. I spend a lot of time on the putting green lagging from 30-40 feet. Its all about feel with me. I'm ok with bogey golf being my ceiling. I'll be 68 in a couple weeks. I like to think that scoring in the low 90's with the occasional upper 80's is pretty good for my age. I don't know if I'll ever be more consistent from the fairways. That is easily the weakest part of my game.

I've been able to spend a lot of time the past few years on finding what works for me. I accept that I likely won't be much more than a bogey golfer. There was a time when that seemed unattainable. But working on the wedge game has allowed me to get there. I feel like all I need to do is get with 40 yards of the green on the approach. I'll hit the green somewhere and two putt most times for bogey.

Three things I'm best at. Driving, safe wedge shots and lag putting. I spend a lot of time on the putting green lagging from 30-40 feet. Its all about feel with me. I'm ok with bogey golf being my ceiling. I'll be 68 in a couple weeks. I like to think that scoring in the low 90's with the occasional upper 80's is pretty good for my age. I don't know if I'll ever be more consistent from the fairways. That is easily the weakest part of my game.
The right cubs can make a huge difference. A guy from work who always hovered around 100 is now regularly breaking 90 just by changing his irons to Cleveland Zipcore XLs. They are that easy to hit..

Your game sounds very similar to mine, although I worked so much on my irons, at the expense of wedge practice, I’ve kinda flipped those 2. Plus, after 1 round (playing another tomorrow), I’m hopeful that the Halos are going to help even more. I already have more confidence standing over the ball with them, especially 7i and up.

Gotta get my wedge game back. 60° used to be my favorite club. I got to where I would either blade it or chunk it, so I don’t even have it in the bag any longer.

If forgiveness is your priority, the Halos or Cobra T Rails are hard to beat.
One thing about the Launchers and the V sole? With most people they either have a love or hate relationship with it. It doesn’t appeal or work for everyone.
I think you might want to give one of the many new HL versions a try? You can get a good deal on the Taylormade Stealth HD’s right now. They play similar to the Halos, but look a little more conventional in the bag.
Either way, take your time, and have fun choosing what you want. 😉
I had a set of Mizuno irons that had sort of a v-sole. I hit those clubs well.
I didn’t realize TM even sold those hybrid type of irons. Decent price.
I get a discount on the Cleveland gear through my golf course so all things being equal, I’d prefer to buy my next set through them.
I’ll definitely demo the Halos. I could always mix and match the Launchers for the short irons and Halos for mid to long irons.
Thanks for the suggestions, @Grand Stranded and @Carolina Golfer. Should be a fun process.

All the same for me. If I drive well, the game is a litlle better, but bad approach shots really hurt my score. Bogey golf is just fine for me...

The thing that's killing my game is the second and third shots on par 4's and par 5's. Driver is usually 190 and in the short grass and I struggle until I get close to the green. I have had to change my swing, due to bad back. I think I have finally found a club I can hit in the fairway, I got a 4 hybrid from Diamond tour golf, and it seems to be working for me. I hit it for the second time last week and it went straight and about 160. I had a different shaft put in it compared to the other hybrids I bought there, made for hybrids.

The thing that's killing my game is the second and third shots on par 4's and par 5's. Driver is usually 190 and in the short grass and I struggle until I get close to the green. I have had to change my swing, due to bad back. I think I have finally found a club I can hit in the fairway, I got a 4 hybrid from Diamond tour golf, and it seems to be working for me. I hit it for the second time last week and it went straight and about 160. I had a different shaft put in it compared to the other hybrids I bought there, made for hybrids.
That’s not bad yardage for a 4 hybrid. Glad you found a club that works for that over 150 yard slot.
Those between 150yds and driver gaps are tough for me. My contact and subsequent distances with long clubs vary so much from shot to shot that it becomes difficult to know which hybrid I should pull for a given distance. Erring on the side of too much club is not the solution that many think it is. It’s to the point where if I can get it near enough to the green for a chip or pitch I consider it a win.

I had a set of Mizuno irons that had sort of a v-sole. I hit those clubs well.
I didn’t realize TM even sold those hybrid type of irons. Decent price.
I get a discount on the Cleveland gear through my golf course so all things being equal, I’d prefer to buy my next set through them.
I’ll definitely demo the Halos. I could always mix and match the Launchers for the short irons and Halos for mid to long irons.
Thanks for the suggestions, @Grand Stranded and @Carolina Golfer. Should be a fun process.
Jon, one more thing before I butt out.
If you decide on the Halos (which I really hope you do…) don’t sleep on the PW and DW. They were my two favorite clubs in the set. Full disclosure though, in order to get them to gap the way I wanted behind the 9 iron and my 54* wedge, I had the loft on the PW 1* strong and the DW 2* strong. This might not be necessary with the new version, I’ve never hit them.
I loved the Halos, but I needed to find a set that spun somewhere between them (too much) and my E722’s (not enough) and the set that split the difference was the Mizuno HM (at least on a monitor) so that’s what I bought.
Here’s the kicker though. I sold the Halos and kept the E722’s. The Mizuno’s won’t arrive for another week or two, but now my back is feeling really good and I’m swinging freely and with more speed.
I’m playing really well with the E722’s and I’m wondering why do I need the Mizuno’s? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Jon, one more thing before I butt out.
If you decide on the Halos (which I really hope you do…) don’t sleep on the PW and DW. They were my two favorite clubs in the set. Full disclosure though, in order to get them to gap the way I wanted behind the 9 iron and my 54* wedge, I had the loft on the PW 1* strong and the DW 2* strong. This might not be necessary with the new version, I’ve never hit them.
I loved the Halos, but I needed to find a set that spun somewhere between them (too much) and my E722’s (not enough) and the set that split the difference was the Mizuno HM (at least on a monitor) so that’s what I bought.
Here’s the kicker though. I sold the Halos and kept the E722’s. The Mizuno’s won’t arrive for another week or two, but now my back is feeling really good and I’m swinging freely and with more speed.
I’m playing really well with the E722’s and I’m wondering why do I need the Mizuno’s? 🤷‍♂️
Man, I'll read as much about equipment as you guys are willing to post. Some of it is going to be relative, some less so. But getting all the different perspectives are great. And yeah, I've been wrong about what I thought of certain equipment before. There really should be a large sample size of data from which form an opinion. How I hit a club one week could be far better or far worse than how I hit it on a different week.

A really mean, self serving, karma destroying thought popped into my head. I am trying to evict it, but you know evictions can take a while...
On the first tee with 31 other people there I was going to tell vanity clown that I would bet him $100.00 a stroke net, and I'd only take half of my pops. He would be ashamed to say no in front of everyone, and I am quite sure I would take a good bit of his money. But that is a pretty crappy way to win money, damn near extortion
..... I'd choke on the steak I bought with it.

Last edited:
A really mean, self serving, karma destroying thought popped into my head. I am trying to evict it, but you know evictions can take a while...
On the first tee woth 31 other people there I was going to tell vanity clown that I would bet him $100.00 a stroke net, and I'd only take half of my pops. He would be ashamed to say no in front of everyone, and I am quite sure I would take a good bit of his money. But that is a pretty crappy way to win money, damn near extortion
..... I'd choke on the steak I bought with it.
I can’t wait until you tell us what this guy shoots. You’re going to break the internet if you tell us 67!

Back