The 60 and over Thread

It’s been a rough week.
My dad passed away last Thursday morning, so I drove up to Long Island that afternoon. Even though he was about to turn 95 he was living with my sister from when my mom passed so he lwas always surrounded by his family.
He lived a long, happy life. It was time though as he went downhill rapidly after a family party back in February. He was married 71 years to my mom., and they had 3 children, 4 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren.
I didn’t want my two sisters to have to do it, so I just finished packing up his things, some of which will be which will be distributed to the family, others donated to charity and some disposed of. I’ve been running on adrenaline the past few days, but now that everything is done, I’m drained.
As much as you know it’s best for God to take someone, it’s never easy when it happens. I’m going to spend another week up here visiting with my family (especially my two baby grandchildren) then I’ll go back home and hopefully be able to play golf with a clear head for the first time in months.
I just need time to exhale and clear my head.

It’s been a rough week.
My dad passed away last Thursday morning, so I drove up to Long Island that afternoon. He was about to turn 95 so he lived a long, happy life. It was time though as he went downhill rapidly after a family party back in February. He was married 71 years to my mom., and they had 3 children, 4 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren.
I didn’t want my two sisters to have to do it, so I just finished packing up his things, some of which will be which will be distributed to the family, others donated to charity and some disposed of. I’ve been running on adrenaline the past few days, but now I’m drained. As much as you know it’s best for God to take someone, it’s never easy when it happens.
I’m going to spend another week up here visiting with my family (especially my two baby grandchildren) then I’ll go back home and hopefully be able to play golf with a clear head for the first time in months.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Take comfort in your family and your memories.

It’s been a rough week.
My dad passed away last Thursday morning, so I drove up to Long Island that afternoon. Even though he was about to turn 95 he was living with my sister from when my mom passed so he lwas always surrounded by his family.
He lived a long, happy life. It was time though as he went downhill rapidly after a family party back in February. He was married 71 years to my mom., and they had 3 children, 4 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren.
I didn’t want my two sisters to have to do it, so I just finished packing up his things, some of which will be which will be distributed to the family, others donated to charity and some disposed of. I’ve been running on adrenaline the past few days, but now that everything is done, I’m drained.
As much as you know it’s best for God to take someone, it’s never easy when it happens. I’m going to spend another week up here visiting with my family (especially my two baby grandchildren) then I’ll go back home and hopefully be able to play golf with a clear head for the first time in months.
Man, that’s tough. My heart goes out to you and your family. Never easy - no matter what the circumstances.

Something that continues to surprise me as I age is how much my driver club speed can fluctuate from day to day, The range is large.

It’s been a rough week.
Very sorry for your loss. Never easy, even when somewhat expected. All the best to you and your family.

It’s been a rough week.
Sorry for your loss.

It’s been a rough week.
Sorry for your lose, he's in a better place now.

It’s been a rough week.
You have my thoughts, prayers and sympathies. I can relate as just over 2 years ago I lost my 96 yo mother. I had/have similar thoughts as you. Take care.

I played my first league round with the Lean Lock putter. I didn't 3 putt once, which has been my nemesis in recent years. Made one longer, over 20' putt. Made some 4-5' to clean up some poor lag putting from far away for the pin. It was quite windy, a try to slap it to the middle of the green kind of day. I really think this thing is the answer to my missing short putt woes.

Oh, and I won 5 holes, halved 2 and lost 2.

It’s been a rough week.
From one Long Islander to another, Very Sorry for your loss. It's never easy saying goodbye to the ones so close to us. Even at your age with your Dad passing at 95 it feels like a cornerstone of your foundation has been removed and you feel like you're on unstable ground. You then begin the process of strengthen that foundation with your children and grandchildren and all your other family. I'm 57 and will be welcoming my first two grandchildren this year. I lost my father in 2017 at 73 and my mother in 2022 at 76.

Something that continues to surprise me as I age is how much my driver club speed can fluctuate from day to day, The range is large.
I've come to a conclusion that I have to use the swing I have for that day, and hit it instead of trying to change it. Sometimes I hit a fade and most of the time it's straight. One thing I can count on it will be in the short grass , but not very far down the fairway. My problem is hitting my second shot, hopefully I can change that with the hybrids. Get out Monday after a 3 week layoff, shke off some rust.

I've decided to work on hitting the ball straight down the fairway with my driver.
Sometimes muscle memory will intrude and I'll hit a high fade. The miss to the right is less than if set up for a draw and hit a fade.
I get very similar carry distances whether I hit a draw, straight, or a fade.
I practice in my back yard so I know how to change my swing over a couple of months.
In the Spring I'm busy with garden chores that need to be done now.

That is a bit surprising. How are you measuring the CHS?

That is a bit surprising. How are you measuring the CHS?
I don’t always have access to great club speed measurement, but I hit on both TrackMan and Foresight launch monitors, that give very accurate ball speed. From there, I can extrapolate. If one day I am seeing driver ball speeds of 146 to 150 and another day, I am struggling to break 140, but in both instances I am making good passes at the ball and solid contact, I can only presume that the variable is club speed.

Started par, par, par. Hit 2 good shots on 4 then cold topped a 7 iron approach. Can’t remember the last time I did that. Made one heck of a birdie on 6 after trying to dig a shot out of a bad lie in the rough. I hit a 190 yard FW to 6’. Pretty solid after that. 8 fairways, 14 GIR, 34 putts 37-38 75

Have to change plans, golfing buddy is out of town. Playing a different course Monday, Berkshire course.

Wife is being a bit odd. . I was sitting on the porch washing my clubs. She looked at them and said "Those are looking pretty scruffy." Just a tad of bag chatter, thats all. Hell, they aren't even 2! and I like them. But she did catch me looking at Mizunos and Wilsons on line last week, Wilsons on one monitor, Mizunos on the other.

I was asked yesterday at the league, what would I change in my bag? I responded with something I haven't said in decades. "Nothing"

Have to change plans, golfing buddy is out of town. Playing a different course Monday, Berkshire course.
It's almost five months since I played. I've hit balls on the range regularly, but haven't played.

It's almost five months since I played. I've hit balls on the range regularly, but haven't played.
Has to be tough. I would go batchit crazy.

Wife is being a bit odd. . I was sitting on the porch washing my clubs. She looked at them and said "Those are looking pretty scruffy." Just a tad of bag chatter, thats all. Hell, they aren't even 2! and I like them. But she did catch me looking at Mizunos and Wilsons on line last week, Wilsons on one monitor, Mizunos on the other.

I was asked yesterday at the league, what would I change in my bag? I responded with something I haven't said in decades. "Nothing"
What is wrong with you? 🤪

Dance with the gal ya brung.
Shoot, I'm still trying to find mine... Swing, not Girl.
In all seriousness it's getting close, other than not nearly the back swing I had some 20 years ago its starting to feel familiar.

Back