The 60 and over Thread

Abysmal 9 hole match today. Lost 3&1 giving 4 shots. Regardless, I putted horribly. I did hit big drives on 11 and 18 with the new Srixon driver, and hit a couple of nice irons with the Zx5 Recoil setup.

Last edited:
I've come to a conclusion that I have to use the swing I have for that day, and hit it instead of trying to change it. Sometimes I hit a fade and most of the time it's straight. One thing I can count on it will be in the short grass , but not very far down the fairway. My problem is hitting my second shot, hopefully I can change that with the hybrids. Get out Monday after a 3 week layoff, shke off some rust.
I strongly agree. Play with the swing you bring to the course that day.

That is a bit surprising. How are you measuring the CHS?
I don't find it surprising at all. On Trackmen I can be swinging the big stick 101 one day, and 92 the next after a strong low comes through. Same thing happens outdoors. Makes it really hard to club yourself the first couple of holes. Lol. My spine really does react to the barometer. Strange but true. Dr says it's not psychosomatic or an old wives tale, but quite common.

Abysmal 9 hole match today. Lost 3&1 giving 4 shots. Regardless, I putted horribly. I didn’t big drives on 11 and 18 with the new Srixon driver, and hit a couple of nice irons with the Zx5 Recoil setup.
It happens.

I don't find it surprising at all. On Trackmen I can be swinging the big stick 101 one day, and 92 the next after a strong low comes through. Same thing happens outdoors. Makes it really hard to club yourself the first couple of holes. Lol. My spine really does react to the barometer. Strange but true. Dr says it's not psychosomatic or an old wives tale, but quite common.
That's why I simply accept what golf gives me on any given day. If I play poorly, I don't get upset, and if I play well, I'm grateful and don't get overly excited. Even golf's top tier golfers have bad days.

I have a 10” scar up my lower back that says it doesn’t matter. Truthfully, weather probably does matter. When it’s cold, I swing easier and play more club. I know sometimes it takes a while to get loose, even with a good warmup on the range. Yoga and stretching daily helps a lot. I need to get back into doing that regularly as I’ve kind of slacked off for a while. I think an area that would help me the most is core strength. I know grip strength has a lot to do with clubhead speed as does increasing the length of your back swing. I would thing core strength with good flexibility would speed things up a bit too. I’m just trying to get my clubhead speed to 90. I don’t think I’m quite there yet.

Something interesting I saw while watching Par 3 Masters. Theegala, Rahm, and Finau paired together. Three Players that I like to watch since I am fashioning my Swing to theirs to reduce Back pain. All 3 barely go beyond parallel on their Back Swing, what were the odds.

I got a new hybrid 4 iron, shaft has a low kick point for high launch. Get to try it out Monday, hoping for a high flight and about 160 yards distance.

That's why I simply accept what golf gives me on any given day. If I play poorly, I don't get upset, and if I play well, I'm grateful and don't get overly excited. Even golf's top tier golfers have bad days.
Have you started playing again? You mentioned you had not played in months.

Have you started playing again? You mentioned you had not played in months.
No, not yet. The last time was just about 5 months ago. The main reason I haven't played is I can no longer walk, not even 9 holes. I always walked up until last fall. Last year, for example, I went on a 15 mile hike. Not being able to walk has really bummed me out, as it's always been a form of therapy for me. In any case, my home course hasn't put out carts yet; they say the course is too wet. What about CPO? Apparently too many people ignore CPO, so no carts.

I've come to a conclusion that I have to use the swing I have for that day
This can be such a frustrating and confusing game from day-to-day. Yesterday, I could count the shots that I was pleased with on one hand. Today, it was just the opposite, with only a few shots that I would put in the "poor" column.

No, not yet. The last time was just about 5 months ago. The main reason I haven't played is I can no longer walk, not even 9 holes. I always walked up until last fall. Last year, for example, I went on a 15 mile hike. Not being able to walk has really bummed me out, as it's always been a form of therapy for me. In any case, my home course hasn't put out carts yet; they say the course is too wet. What about CPO? Apparently too many people ignore CPO, so no carts.
I'm in the same boat as you Sean, I can't walk anymore. As you said not even 9 holes, I tried about 2 years ago and made 4 holes. my problems won't be resolved. I hope yours can, fortunately I can ride a cart at my courses everyday.

I'm in the same boat as you Sean, I can't walk anymore. As you said not even 9 holes, I tried about 2 years ago and made 4 holes. my problems won't be resolved. I hope yours can, fortunately I can ride a cart at my courses everyday.
I'm grateful for carts, because without them many of us couldn't play golf.

I'm going to multiple on this post:

1) The course rating from 5600 for me is 72.3/121. From 6300 it's 76.0/129. So if I regularly shoot 90 from 5600, I should shoot 96 from 6300, but that's not how it works. It's more like shooting 102 from 6300 because distance matters. For you guys, the course from 5600 is 67.1/117 and from 6300 it's 70.3/120. It basically boils down to "would you rather shoot 90 from 5600, or 102 from 6300?"
You are right, that is not how it works. Nor is it the way it is supposed to work. Those indexes are for the average scratch golfer. The differentials don’t apply to anyone else.

Even if you were a scratch golfer they would likely not apply. Because most scratch golfers are not the average scratch golfer. That is they play to the average scratch golfer’s driving distance, average FIR, average GIRs, with the average scratch golfer’s up and down percentage from the rough, bunkers, fairway and hard pan, and an average scratch golfer’s distance from the hole and make percentage from a variety of different length putts from different slopes and conditions.

The person who can apply that differential legitimately is a unicorn.

My push cart has a seat attachment. Its been a lifesaver for a couple years. But even with that, lately I can't walk 18 holes. The back pain is too much. I can barely manage 9. I don't have a membership that includes unlimited golf. So I just go online and pick the hot deals that makes 18 holes with a cart about 20-25 bucks cheaper. I can do 18 holes with a cart but by the end I'm feeling it.

I went out and played 18 yesterday. I made the mistake of playing from the whites. The two guys they paired me with are younger. So I didn't want to be the guy hitting from shorter tees. I've been going back to hitting irons. I made a couple adjustments and I'm hitting them better. But not near as long. Pretty much every club is shorter these days. I left a lot of approaches short yesterday. Thankfully the wedges are working better. But I still could not break 90 like I do from the senior tees. Shot a 93.

I just have to remember to club up more due to lack of distance. My 6 iron used to be my 160+ iron. Now its more like 140. My 7 is 125. It used to be 140-150 a couple years ago. I need to just play from gold tees. My driver is mostly straight but barely 200. From the whites there's too many shots 150 plus. The 5 wood is the club for those distances but its more like 175. So the 150-160 yard shots are too long for an iron and too short for a wood. The 7 wood won't work because its been going about the same as the 6 iron.

My 6 iron used to be my 160+ iron. Now its more like 140. My 7 is 125. It used to be 140-150 a couple years ago.
Which is why I play the senior tees, regardless of what tees anyone else plays. They don't pay my greens fees, and I want to have fun. In addition, courses wouldn't put in senior tees if they weren't meant to be used. For me hitting fairway woods into the majority of par 4's isn't fun. Hell, professionals have trouble hitting greens with fairway woods, so what chance do I have? I've played with women who have played the middle tees while I've played the senior tees. I have no problem with that.

I’m getting new 4 & 5 hybrids. Same heads as what I’m playing now, but going to the 50g R2 Vista Pro shafts I have in my irons. Hoping for a little more swing speed, a little higher launch and a touch more distance. Funny thing today. I had 150 playing into a pretty stiff wind. Normally a 6I, but today I played a 4H. I hit it thin and ended up hole high. I wanted to hit it flush, so I dropped one and hit it thin pin high too. Dropped one more and flushed it. It came up 20 yards short. Yes it was that windy.

I just have to remember to club up more due to lack of distance. My 6 iron used to be my 160+ iron. Now its more like 140. My 7 is 125. It used to be 140-150 a couple years ago. I need to just play from gold tees. My driver is mostly straight but barely 200.
You just described my game!
Which is why I play the senior tees, regardless of what tees anyone else plays. They don't pay my greens fees, and I want to have fun. In addition, courses wouldn't put in senior tees if they weren't meant to be used.
This is the 2nd time I have belonged to this course. Back in 2017, they only had three sets of tees, which didn't make any difference to me because back then I had the distance to play from the normal men's whites. In the intervening years, probably due to demand, they added a set of senior tees. Generally, they are on the same tee box as the ladies' tees, with theirs being at the front of the tee box while the senior tees are at the back. Even then, there are a couple of holes where there is some distance between the seniors and the ladies, so I see some seniors play from the ladies'tees. I have no issue at all with that, and am for whatever brings joy to one's game!

I can and do quite regularly walk 5-10 miles a day on pavement doing infrastructure inspections/ repairs. But put me on uneven terrain for an extended walk any more and my back just screams at me.

I’m getting new 4 & 5 hybrids. Same heads as what I’m playing now, but going to the 50g R2 Vista Pro shafts I have in my irons. Hoping for a little more swing speed, a little higher launch and a touch more distance. Funny thing today. I had 150 playing into a pretty stiff wind. Normally a 6I, but today I played a 4H. I hit it thin and ended up hole high. I wanted to hit it flush, so I dropped one and hit it thin pin high too. Dropped one more and flushed it. It came up 20 yards short. Yes it was that windy.
I never bagged hybrids until this past winter. I have become convinced that the 4H is as versatile a club as I have ever had. From big high fades off the tee to little low slappy cuts and draws out of trouble, to screaming low draws under the wind to distant targets, it is a club that just suits me and the state of my game.

Winds 17-21, gusting to 38 mph today. I am trying to resist running to Carls and picking up a G425 2H before todays round. My 5 wood is very, very, good to me but a lower flight would be nice today.
Windy, wet, soft and sloppy. This is going to be one of those rounds where survival and keeping it in play will be the key to taking the bets. I like my odds today, I have more shots and shapes in the bag than most of the young guys. Anybody trying to overpower the course will get B-slapped by the wind.

Last edited:
My Back troubles are the opposite. Put me in a Golf Cart, sitting, waiting for the Group ahead to finally hit kills my Back. I need to constantly move around so the last 2 months I've been walking with a push Cart and can get in from 13-15 Holes before I can't Swing. I have a tough Course to walk. It's always a long walk to next Tee and from 9th to 10th takes over 7 minutes to reach up a increasingly steep hill by the Clubhouse. This week my Son and I will try a Golf Cart and Push Cart, fingers crossed.

Just got a call from one of the young guns I was going to pick up on the way to the course. Some 18 yr old drunk kid left the roadway and T-Boned his car sitting in his driveway last night. Really nice customized PT Cruiser with a small supercharged V8 shoehorned in there etc etc.... Fast as hell but still street legal. Yes, he is still golfing, he has another car so he isnt scrambling for transportation. But he is bummed. He is an engineer at GM, but it's a Chrysler because he started it while he was in high school. ( He is still in his 20's).

Just got a call from one of the young guns I was going to pick up on the way to the course. Some 18 yr old drunk kid left the roadway and T-Boned his car sitting in his driveway last night. Really nice customized PT Cruiser with a small supercharged V8 shoehorned in there etc etc.... Fast as hell but still street legal. Yes, he is still golfing, he has another car so he isnt scrambling for transportation. But he is bummed. He is an engineer at GM, but it's a Chrysler because he started it while he was in high school. ( He is still in his 20's).
18 year old will be driving again in a few days cuz that's how our system works.
Rant over, continue with Golf.
Hope you 2 enjoy your Golf.

Back