LIVE UPDATE THREAD The 2024 Vokey Experience at Ballyhack

Here is what the online tool generated for me. Can't wait to follow this.

1713989124188.png

I have always considered myself to have only a very average short game, relative to my index. I also think that we probably expect more of ourselves than what is realistic relative to our skill levels. That being said, I am really looking forward to a couple of days where the focus truly is on wedge play and the short game. I am really hoping that it can raise my level of play when I miss greens.
This is a really interesting point, and part of what led me to add a Vokey into the bag last month (guesstimate spec). I have a Titleist wedge fitting end of this week so I'll be in Ballyhack in spirit, CA in person.

But back to your point. Coming back from a multi-year injury layoff and now firmly on the wrong side of 60, I have to be realistic about how much of my game I can get back and how much I can improve even if I'm rigorous with a practice routine. Wedges are one area that the limitations are largely under my control. I can't swing hard any more, and distances for all the clubs in the bag keep dropping. But 60 yards in and especially around the green, there is no excuse for me executing poorly. And since I'm somewhat cheap and don't want to pay for rounds all the time, I can go to the local course and practice short game all I want for free.

Looking forward to tracking this thread.

Looking forward to following!

Are any of the participants playing low bounce wedges?

This is a really interesting point, and part of what led me to add a Vokey into the bag last month (guesstimate spec). I have a Titleist wedge fitting end of this week so I'll be in Ballyhack in spirit, CA in person.

But back to your point. Coming back from a multi-year injury layoff and now firmly on the wrong side of 60, I have to be realistic about how much of my game I can get back and how much I can improve even if I'm rigorous with a practice routine. Wedges are one area that the limitations are largely under my control. I can't swing hard any more, and distances for all the clubs in the bag keep dropping. But 60 yards in and especially around the green, there is no excuse for me executing poorly. And since I'm somewhat cheap and don't want to pay for rounds all the time, I can go to the local course and practice short game all I want for free.

Looking forward to tracking this thread.
I am much in your camp. I am 63 and each year, I am losing a little distance. The bigger thing for me is that my body simply does not hold up anymore to banging a lot of balls and some of the repetitive training that leads to higher speed. It can actually break my body down to where I am swinging the club slower. Thus, the short game grows in importance.

This is one of the reasons that in my fitting, we decided to have two wedges that would give me more options around the greens, whereas before, I was more matching all of my clubs for gapping on full swings, all the way until I got to my 58* lob wedge, which is what I used for almost everything from 95 yards and in. I am looking forward to seeing if having another option improves my short game play.

Not me. I don’t have much success with them, except on pretty full swings.

I used to play alot of low bounce options, typically because they helped on my firmer league course but after this fitting and with a wider range of courses being played we switched more to mid bounce with a higher bounce in the 58 for bunker help.

Yeah, I play in pretty firm conditions most of the time. Otherwise I'd use more bounce.

I'm currently lower bounce in my 50° and higher in my 54 and 58. The fitting has me in higher bounces in my 50 and 54 and lower in my 58 so I'm in for a bit of a change. It could also explain some of my difficulties around the greens so I'm hoping for improvement in my game.

I was also fit into mid and high bounce options. Can't wait to put them in play. We're 4 days out!!

We're 4 days out!!
dumb and dumber time GIF

Very excited to learn about grinds and bounce. I’ve never given much consideration to my wedges other than the feel of them. Can’t wait to dive in and learn more with you guys. Also excited to see what an another Dormie property is like.

Ballyhack with new Vokey wedges...can't wait to follow you guys! 🔥

Excited to follow along with this one!

I am much in your camp. I am 63 and each year, I am losing a little distance. The bigger thing for me is that my body simply does not hold up anymore to banging a lot of balls and some of the repetitive training that leads to higher speed. It can actually break my body down to where I am swinging the club slower. Thus, the short game grows in importance.

This is one of the reasons that in my fitting, we decided to have two wedges that would give me more options around the greens, whereas before, I was more matching all of my clubs for gapping on full swings, all the way until I got to my 58* lob wedge, which is what I used for almost everything from 95 yards and in. I am looking forward to seeing if having another option improves my short game play.
Same age as you and this is one of the most frustrating parts for me. I have to be very careful with my elbows, so hitting a bunch of balls is a non-starter. Which drives me nuts because I want to hit a couple of buckets and know that will improve my consistency. But if I do that, at some point I won't even be able to put a decent swing on the ball as the tendonitis will be in full bloom. When I do get a small bucket (usually twice a week), I rarely even bother to hit driver - I can hit it straight and that's about all I care about. No need to try and optimize distance there.

I can get away with chipping around the green and putting so do that pretty much every day. I try to sneak in partial swings with the lob as well but also need to be mindful of that, particularly what I'm hitting off. Real firm/hard pan is a no-no if I'm taking more than a small sweep of a swing.

Getting old - sucks but better than the alternative.

Here is what the online tool generated for me. Can't wait to follow this.

View attachment 9260546
Same lofts to my old SM8's from the 2020 Vokey Experience. My bounce and grinds were a little different. I was 48.10 F which we weakened to 49*. Then it was the 54.14 F and the 58.10 S. I was pretty steep back then so the fitter recommended the higher bounce in the 54. With my chipping and out of the bunker with the 58* though we found that I did better with the lower bounce of 10.
I'm currently lower bounce in my 50° and higher in my 54 and 58. The fitting has me in higher bounces in my 50 and 54 and lower in my 58 so I'm in for a bit of a change. It could also explain some of my difficulties around the greens so I'm hoping for improvement in my game.
Same for me as you can see above.

Ask two questions for me please...

With how popular full face wedges are becoming, has Titleist maybe reconsidered doing a full face option?

Will they ever come out with a "forgiving" wedge? Like Cleveland CBX or Callaway CB.

Oh yeah! Ready for this one… gonna be great

Ballyhack is so good for this experience with the Goat Track a part of it with the wedges! May you fair better than @JDax

IMG_0718.jpeg

Ballyhack 🔥

Goats 🔥🔥

THP & Titleist 🔥🔥🔥

Have a blast everyone!

A big group playing a great course with some great wedges. That should be a fun follow!

Back