Taylormade Introduces the R9 Super Tri

EDIT - Terribly sorry folks. I was looking at the SuperFast driver from TM.
And yes, I think that thing is horrible looking.

You think the SuperFast AND SuperTri are ugly?

Is this because of your bias towards Nike (though the VR looks nice too...)? :bulgy-eyes:

I don't really like the looks of the SuperFast, but the SuperTri... :D

You think the SuperFast AND SuperTri are ugly?

Is this because of your bias towards Nike (though the VR looks nice too...)? :bulgy-eyes:

I don't really like the looks of the SuperFast, but the SuperTri... :D

Bias is such an ugly word. .......

And I'm just talking about the SuperFast being ugly, not the SuperTri.

EDIT - Terribly sorry folks. I was looking at the SuperFast driver from TM.
And yes, I think that thing is horrible looking.

Ok. I'll agree with you any time of the day on the SuperFast.

I was a huge fan of the look and feel of the Super Quad so I'm excited to get my hands on one of these.

I'd like to hit one eventually, like the black face. Just never really been a TM guy for some strange reason.

Last edited:
I can't wait till they come out with the R11 and these are under a c-note on ebay.

I like the whole black driver head concept but I'm wondering how this thing will wear over time. Also, is it just me or does this thing have some sort of spiderman graphics thing going on?

I like the whole black driver head concept but I'm wondering how this thing will wear over time. Also, is it just me or does this thing have some sort of spiderman graphics thing going on?

I agree. The paint scheme on the bottom looks a little spider-ish.

Last edited:
I think its one of the nicest looking drivers I have ever seen. Hopefully it will play as good as it looks when I demo it.

Last edited:
I agree it looks awesome in the pictures haven';t seen it in person yet. I want one for the looks, I know that is the wrong reason but if it performs I'll keep it.

I pick women for their looks..but like drivers that seldom is the criteria I should be using.

You know, my TBTP is mostly black, not the face but bottom and I think it has held up great. Now the ranges in Indiana are not as sandy as other places and I rarely use it as a wedge :D and I don't hit it off the deck so, the bottom is not scratched up.

post-64299-1254253168-8.jpg

Note: The 3wood next to it is more scratched than the driver. The 3 wood is 4 months old the driver 2 yrs.

Last edited:
Yeah they definitely have it figured out on the black finish.

This is something I want to try

This is something I want to try

This club definitely interests me but I'm not sure when it might come to Indonesia. As I understand it there are a lot of counterfeit clubs sold here and so I guess I'll have to go to Singapore or somewhere to make sure I get the real deal.:sad:

I hit this thing today, it's pretty sweet. The look of it is really striking in person as well.

I also got to hit this today. Obviously it has not officially been released yet but we got them in at work and I was able to sneak one into the hitting bay. I have to say that so far I am loving this driver. Great feel and great sound. This driver has jumped to the top of my list. Taylormade is making it very hard for me to not love their products. I can't wait to hit some more balls and see what it will be going for on TMAG.

Mine should be in tomorrow. hope to hit it at the dome on the weekend.
L57

I also got to hit this today. Obviously it has not officially been released yet but we got them in at work and I was able to sneak one into the hitting bay. I have to say that so far I am loving this driver. Great feel and great sound. This driver has jumped to the top of my list. Taylormade is making it very hard for me to not love their products. I can't wait to hit some more balls and see what it will be going for on TMAG.

TMAG should have it late March, early April.

Hit it again, today.

Still not overly impressed, may be due to the advancement of previous models. Not a fan of the overall look, or sound of the club. Club feels TOO light as well, no real feel of the head.

I played around with it for about 30 minutes, and still couldn't come to agree with it's look or performance.

R9 SuperTri Spin

R9 SuperTri Spin

I'm (still) in the hunt for a driver and had pulled the trigger on a Cleveland Launcher DST. The retailer couldn't complete the order tho as the Voodoo shaft I ordered isn't available in Europe.

My pro has advised to stay away from ultra-lightweight drivers, so I'm now thinking of going for an R9 SuperTri.

Would I be right in saying that low spin numbers on a drive are a good thing, ie. pro's have low spin and hackers (like me) generally put too much spin on drives?

If that is so, then why are Taylormade advertising the R9 ST as a high spin driver?

I appreciate that getting fitted is the best option, but because of where I live that isn't an option unfortunately. This is more of a general query, not related to me in particular.

I'm (still) in the hunt for a driver and had pulled the trigger on a Cleveland Launcher DST. The retailer couldn't complete the order tho as the Voodoo shaft I ordered isn't available in Europe.

My pro has advised to stay away from ultra-lightweight drivers, so I'm now thinking of going for an R9 SuperTri.

Would I be right in saying that low spin numbers on a drive are a good thing, ie. pro's have low spin and hackers (like me) generally put too much spin on drives?

If that is so, then why are Taylormade advertising the R9 ST as a high spin driver?

I appreciate that getting fitted is the best option, but because of where I live that isn't an option unfortunately. This is more of a general query, not related to me in particular.

The SuperTri is a high spin driver. It is being marketed as a different alternative to that of the R9 and R9 460. They are marketing it as "We have a driver for everybody".

Not everybody is looking to reduce spin though. Many professionals and better players need to increase spin quite a bit. Drivers like this can help them.

Merged with the SuperTri thread.

Thanks JB, that makes sense.

Is it a fair assumption that most mid/high HCs spin too much, and only really good swingers spin too little?

Thanks JB, that makes sense.

Is it a fair assumption that most mid/high HCs spin too much, and only really good swingers spin too little?

Im not sure that you can make those assumptions, because every golfer is going to be very different.

I'm subconsciously trying to guess my perfect fit for a driver, not a good idea I know.

I'm subconsciously trying to guess my perfect fit for a driver, not a good idea I know.

Yeah it makes it hard. Perhaps you should use the Ask the Pro here and describe what you are trying to accomplish. Andy is an accomplished teaching pro and club fitter

Back