Taylormade Introduces the R9 Super Tri

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

First came the R9 driver, which combined Flight Control Technolog (FCT) and Movable Weight Technology™ (MWT®) with three movable weights in a 420cc head. Next came the R9 460 driver with FCT alone, only in a larger and more forgiving 460cc head. "Those two drivers were created because TaylorMade didn't yet have the ability to combine both FCT and MWT in a 460cc head," said Todd Beach, TaylorMade's senior director of metalwood development. "A year later, we do." Introducing the R9 SuperTri driver, which combines FCT and MWT with three movable weights in a 460cc head, marking the ultimate unification of TaylorMade’s major driver technologies with maximum size to deliver massive distance and forgiveness. The R9 SuperTri was made possible by two crucial developments by TaylorMade engineers that saved enough weight to allow FCT and MWT to coexist in a 460cc head. The first is better, more widespread use of TaylorMade's Ultra-Thin Wall technology throughout the clubhead. The second is a new, lighter FCT sleeve that does everything the former one did while weighing three grams less. FCT + MWT + 460cc = Supreme Adjustability, Distance and Forgiveness

The impact of incorporating FCT and MWT into a 460cc head is enormous. The larger head is more forgiving, and its CG is two millimeters farther back in the head than the R9 driver, making it easier to launch the ball higher and with more spin, helping players gain more distance. At the same time, the inclusion of MWT with three weights promotes a side-to-side trajectory change of up to 75 yards. Inverted Cone Technology (ICT) is also a crucial piece of the R9 SuperTri's makeup. Though it's milled onto the back of the clubface where it's out of sight, ICT plays a critical role by dramatically increasing the area of the clubface that delivers fast ball speed, promoting more distance on off-center hits. R9 SuperTri Features Reshaped Crown, Lighter Shaft

The R9 SuperTri's clubhead is sleeker than previous R9 driver heads, thanks to a reshaped crown that reduces wind resistance. Though the shape is more aerodynamic, the face is the deepest (62mm) TaylorMade has ever incorporated into a driver with MWT, and is deeper than most other competitive drivers currently on the market. Visually, the R9 SuperTri clubhead is a killer, thanks to its new shape and its black-on-black color scheme, including a black PVD clubface last seen in the r7 SuperQuad. The R9 SuperTri is equipped with a Fujikura Motore 60-gram shaft, which is five grams lighter than the Motore 65 used in the R9 driver. In addition to being lighter, the Motore 60 makes it easier to launch the ball on a higher launch angle and at a higher spin-rate, which helps many players achieve longer carry for increased distance. R9 SuperTri: The Most Advanced TaylorMade Driver Ever

The R9 SuperTri unites four viable performance technologies: FCT, MWT, UTW and ICT. Never before have four such impactful, performance-enhancing technologies been combined so effectively in a single driver. Plus, there's the superior aerodynamics of the new crown shape. The R9 SuperTri and R9 SuperTri TP are the most advanced, highest-performing drivers TaylorMade has ever developed. The distance-producing power and shot-straightening abilities created by their combined clubhead size, clubhead design, performance technologies and shaft specifications make them clubs that no golfer should be without. The R9 SuperTri includes three weights – 16-gram, 1-gram, 1-gram – and an FCT torque wrench. It's available in four lofts -- 8.5, 9.5, 10.5, 11.5 – and five shaft flexes -- L, M, R, S, X. Street price is $399. The R9 SuperTri TP features the same head as the R9 SuperTri but with a choice of ten premium shafts including the Aldila Voodoo, Mitsubishi Fubuki and Matrix Ozik. Choosing a custom TP shaft adds an additional $100 to the cost of the club. It becomes available starting on February 19, 2010.

764050791_rPiuh-L.jpg

I like this one!!

I really want one of these, I'll try and hold off until I NEED one though!

Can't wait to swing one of these bad boys!Love the black club face,I wonder how durable it will be?

• Admin
Can't wait to swing one of these bad boys!Love the black club face,I wonder how durable it will be?

The durability seems to be holding on well. We are showing no signs of wear at all during testing.

Very nice. I'm anxious to see how this performs in the shoot out. My regular R9 works great, I think it just needs a shaft that matches me better, but well see.

That black finish is sleek and looks bad-ass. If this does really well regardless of it's price point, will more co's look to bring black or black nickel finishes out of the wedge/putter/hybrid categories and add them to the driver, woods familes?

This club just looks mean! That dark finish would compliment my black pearl irons nicely. :worship:

• Admin
This club just looks mean! That dark finish would compliment my black pearl irons nicely. :worship:

They do look really good together.

not a huge fan of this visually. do like the black finish and fact it's available in 8.5.

This will be a great addition to the R9 line of drivers. Sweet looking in black for sure.

This will be a great addition to the R9 line of drivers. Sweet looking in black for sure.

Those are my thoughts as well. It gives people the choice between the 3. I would however would have liked them to put out all 3 together similar to what other companies do when they release lines. Not stagger each one 3 months apart.

Any clue if the fairway woods will share this similar look or will they stay with how they are?

Any clue if the fairway woods will share this similar look or will they stay with how they are?

Not sure yet, but my gut feeling is that they will stay how they are.

TM seems to put out so many drivers on a regular basis that it gets confusing. They are probably working on the next iteration as I type.

"Those two drivers were created because TaylorMade didn't yet have the ability to combine both FCT and MWT in a 460cc head," said Todd Beach, TaylorMade's senior director of metalwood development. "A year later, we do."

Am I the only one doubting that statement?

It would seem a little suspect, I wish he could explain it in a little more detail. This is kind of TM m.o. though, they are always bringing something a little different to the market.

It doesn't bother me though it probably would have if I had bought an R9 earlier in the year and wanted the MWT.

Its funny I too doubted that this whole time. Here is what we have heard though. They had it done and ready to go, but could not get it to comply. It worked for other regions, but not for this market.

They finally got it ready after the fact and then went to production.

It matches the notes we had at the release of the 460 when we asked if it was coming. They said "it is in Japan, but we are struggling to get it right for the states."

TM seems to put out so many drivers on a regular basis that it gets confusing. They are probably working on the next iteration as I type.

The next is already done as is the next one after that. It is natural progression. :D

Re:Taylormade Introduces the R9 Super Tri

The next is already done as is the next one after that. It is natural progression. :D

The companies have learned how to bleed the green out of us very well, but we'll keep coming back for more.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JB..MWT aside,how do you think the Super Tri compares with the R9 460.Is it the same club just that is black and with MWT,or better in other ways as well?

I have only put about 10 swings on it, so I cannot give you a whole review, but it appears to be a little different. First, the shape of the head is slightly different and second this one has the Motore shaft in it rather than the shaft that came with the 460. This shaft is lighter than that of the one in the R9, but I could not notice a huge difference between this version of the shaft and the R9 version.

To me it is more like the R9, than the R9 460 in most aspects, but the shape is slightly different.

JB, this and the Superfast use SP700 titanium in the face. Any sound difference?

JB...I've seen the R9 460 for sale for $199 at GPP.I'm wondering if I should wait for the Supertri to come out.I'm looking for help with a consistent slice on my drives.Can the MWT make that much of a difference than just the FCT alone?Or is the MWT more important for low handicap guys looking to shape shots?

Back