Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

I have a Burner 2.0 6-iron with a graphite shaft (S) from the demo giveaway and I'm ready to pay it forward, PM me if you'd like to demo it.

Figure I better go ahead and make my first post. I've hit a few of these and must say that I am completely in love with them. I am going to be purchasing a set next month. One question though. I will most likely be ordering them from tgw.com or somewhere and then bringing them to my local PGA store. When I bring them in to get fitted, what happens if they alter them some and then my swing changes? I shoot around 85-90 and have a lot of room for improvement. I intend on taking a few lessons so I'm a little concerned about getting them fitted for my current swing. Thanks and it's nice to meet all of you.

I've thought exactly the same as Sean. I've just come back to the game after 20years and feel some lessons and lots of practice should come before trying to get my clubs fitted. I'm sure there is little that is technically good or consistent about my swing at the moment, and therefore there can't be anything to fit to! Frankly I want to have a few more range sessions and rounds on my own, then some lessons, then investigate how well my clubs are suited to me.

Figure I better go ahead and make my first post. I've hit a few of these and must say that I am completely in love with them. I am going to be purchasing a set next month. One question though. I will most likely be ordering them from tgw.com or somewhere and then bringing them to my local PGA store. When I bring them in to get fitted, what happens if they alter them some and then my swing changes? I shoot around 85-90 and have a lot of room for improvement. I intend on taking a few lessons so I'm a little concerned about getting them fitted for my current swing. Thanks and it's nice to meet all of you.

I've thought exactly the same as Sean. I've just come back to the game after 20years and feel some lessons and lots of practice should come before trying to get my clubs fitted. I'm sure there is little that is technically good or consistent about my swing at the moment, and therefore there can't be anything to fit to! Frankly I want to have a few more range sessions and rounds on my own, then some lessons, then investigate how well my clubs are suited to me.

I think you both are on to something good here. You invested in some phenomenal irons, and lessons will do much more good for you at this point. Once your teacher/fitter decides that your irons should be altered, they can be sent to Taylormade and adjusted accordingly.

Congrats on your new irons as well. I hope they treat you both well.

(Forgive me if this has already occurred within this thread... or if it's not the done-thing to ask...)

I was wondering if you guys here have ever posted your distance break-downs for your complete set of Burner 2.0 irons?

I'll happily set the ball rolling, but you'll have to take my distances as very rough. Some averaged, some best-hits. I need a lot more learning, practice and skill to settle; a uniform swing to achieve repeatable distances.

PW 125 Full Swing 50 half, 100 three-quarter
9i 140-150 Easily
8i 150 I currently feel my 9i, 8i and 7i get stuck around 150
7i 150-175
6i 190-200 Very easy to hit long and straight
5i 200 If reasonably well hit. Lower trajectory of 5i makes 6i feel much easier to achieve the same distance. Much more likely to hook/slice.
4i 225+ Based on about 3 balls caught very well, but immense distance when so. Otherwise low and likely to be shorter than 6i.

I can’t wait until I can know distances for each club with confidence!

Last edited:
Alright guys, PGA Tour Super Store opened today and I went specifically to test the Burner 2.0s among some others. I was handed a 7 iron with a reg flex graphite Super Fast 65 shaft. I hit the burners consistently (25 balls) with a 201 carry and 208 roll no more than 3 yards left or right of the target and a swing speed avg of 100mph.

I always thought or was told by fitters long ago that graphite was for slower swing speeds. I felt almost dirty with the graphite shafts, but I averaged 200 yards with my Cleveland TA-5 7 Iron as well as my SlingShot 7 iron both with steel shaft. However they definitely had a much lower ball flight.

Now I'm basically sold on these irons with their reg flex graphite superfast 65's. I don't love the idea of hitting graphite irons, but if I was that consistent I'll take that all day!

Alright guys, PGA Tour Super Store opened today and I went specifically to test the Burner 2.0s among some others. I was handed a 7 iron with a reg flex graphite Super Fast 65 shaft. I hit the burners consistently (25 balls) with a 201 carry and 208 roll no more than 3 yards left or right of the target and a swing speed avg of 100mph.

I always thought or was told by fitters long ago that graphite was for slower swing speeds. I felt almost dirty with the graphite shafts, but I averaged 200 yards with my Cleveland TA-5 7 Iron as well as my SlingShot 7 iron both with steel shaft. However they definitely had a much lower ball flight.

Now I'm basically sold on these irons with their reg flex graphite superfast 65's. I don't love the idea of hitting graphite irons, but if I was that consistent I'll take that all day!

200 yards with a 7 iron consistently, I would ahve handed over my AMEX right there and then

I find a reg graphite shaft 7 iron at 200 yards to be a bit odd to say the least, did you get to try them outside?

I also think you might want to look into the stiff flex for you 100MPH SS with a 7 iron. Take a few swings with a steel stiff flex. The stock 2.0 steel shaft is 85g, so it's a little heavier but it might help with better consistent ball flight.

I find a reg graphite shaft 7 iron at 200 yards to be a bit odd to say the least, did you get to try them outside?

No, it feels like Denver is Seattle east for the last 2 weeks and it was at the new PGA Tour Super Store Grand Opening. Our club was supposed to have our TaylorMade demo day yesterday but it was rained out. It won't be until I can find a TMaG demo day at a nearby course that I'll be able to hit them outside. :(

Having read these reviews I think I might trade in my Cobra S3 Max's for the TM 2.0......or possibly the Ping G15's....can't make my mind up.

No, it feels like Denver is Seattle east for the last 2 weeks and it was at the new PGA Tour Super Store Grand Opening. Our club was supposed to have our TaylorMade demo day yesterday but it was rained out. It won't be until I can find a TMaG demo day at a nearby course that I'll be able to hit them outside. :(

Try them outside if you can, while they were working well for you that day, a steel shaft would be better suited for your SS. That being said, if you try them again, with similar results, don't feel shame if graphite fits ya, 200 yards 7 iron will have your playing partners hanging their heads in shame! :)

Had my first couple of range sessions with these, and after a rough half bucket of balls, they're putting a smile on my face. Had a bit of buyers remorse that first half bucket, but I'm redoing my whole swing and took me a while to get used to the longer clubs. I'm a bogey golfer but so far with a half way decent swing I'm getting good results, but at least for this novice I think they still have a nice feel to them as I can tell if I hit it closer to the heel or toe. When I catch it flush though it just feels pure. On several shots tonight, I almost felt like a real golfer! I'm probably swinging only 2/3 as hard as I was with my previous clubs and am about half a club longer. Once I get my swing straightened out and really get everything in sync I think these are going to be scary long.

Thanks to everyone who's posted their thoughts in this review, before I went to get fitted I actually read through all the posts. It took me several nights, but the information and knowledge was invaluable to my decision.

Why don't you use Burner 2.0 wedges?

Why don't you use Burner 2.0 wedges?

Why doesn't anyone appear to own Burner 2.0 wedges?

Most people here seem happy to play the Burner 2.0 irons, so I'm intrigued as to why everyone has other brand wedges?

Has anyone tried the burners?

Has anyone seen them?

Is it due to a lack of availability to try out?

Are people unaware they even exist?

They appear in the spec’s sheet on TM’s website, http://www.taylormadegolf.com/products/irons/Burner-2.0-irons/product-detail-specifications, Approach, Sand and Lob, that is.

In the UK, the most common set offered through retailers seems to be 4-PW, which is what I bought. Other combinations including SW are possible, but I’m doubtful many people own the AW or LW.

I realise the Burner 2.o iron lofts are strong. That might be an understatement, as the 2.0 are stronger than all other TM irons, including the Super Launch!

Another crazy thing is the omission from the spec table of the degrees of bounce, whereas offset is there. I’m a mile from knowing what would suit me, and probably not consistent enough in my play for anyone to say at the moment. But for any decent golfer, surely the bounce would be key to having an interest.

Is there just an automatic, possibly snobby, and perhaps wrong, assumption that wedges included as part of a set won’t be as good as going out of your way to find other clubs? If you like the 2.0 irons so much, why wouldn’t TM have made perfectly decent wedges? Why would they make anything that wasn’t good?!

I’m tempted to special order a SW and see what it’s like. I certainly need something more lofted than the 45* PW in my bag. I’m not completely convinced about the need for 4 wedges. I’m not convinced that players don’t always still adjust their amount of swing for every <100yrd shot, regardless of which wedge they’ll take. And £65 for a SW seems fine, while £205 [EDIT £195, even!] for all three would be ludicrous for me at the moment.

But forget me. Why don’t YOU use Burner wedges???

Last edited:
Because with my current wedge setup I have more consistent gaps and WAY better control on touch shots. That's me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really haven’t thought about burner wedges mostly because I had my wedge set-up before I got the 2.0s. I am however still trying to figure out if I bag my xFT 52 or the burner "A" wedge that came with the set. I am not sure if I will have a definite answer on that.

1st post. Picked up a set today, hoping to hit them tomorrow. I'm coming back to the game (a common story I know) after 12-14 years of 1-2 rds a year, kids are mostly grown up so have some time on my hands. I picked up a set of S2 Max Cobras, love the hybrids but just HAAATE the irons - no feel, no confidence with them. So I went shopping again today, and hit the JPX800's, the CG16's and the Burners - which would have been my last choice of the 3 before hitting them. But they fit me perfectly for lie, I hit them the best, they look good set up, etc etc and I got a bit of a discount for a display set.

I've had about 10 range sessions (including 3 lessons, am in rebuild mode) and 2 18's this year, my weakness is hitting greens - not long off the tee but straight and a good short game and putting. If I can keep my fool head back, I think tomorrow should be fun!

Why doesn't anyone appear to own Burner 2.0 wedges?

Most people here seem happy to play the Burner 2.0 irons, so I'm intrigued as to why everyone has other brand wedges?

Has anyone tried the burners?

Has anyone seen them?

Is it due to a lack of availability to try out?

Are people unaware they even exist?

They appear in the spec’s sheet on TM’s website, http://www.taylormadegolf.com/products/irons/Burner-2.0-irons/product-detail-specifications, Approach, Sand and Lob, that is.

In the UK, the most common set offered through retailers seems to be 4-PW, which is what I bought. Other combinations including SW are possible, but I’m doubtful many people own the AW or LW.

I realise the Burner 2.o iron lofts are strong. That might be an understatement, as the 2.0 are stronger than all other TM irons, including the Super Launch!

Another crazy thing is the omission from the spec table of the degrees of bounce, whereas offset is there. I’m a mile from knowing what would suit me, and probably not consistent enough in my play for anyone to say at the moment. But for any decent golfer, surely the bounce would be key to having an interest.

Is there just an automatic, possibly snobby, and perhaps wrong, assumption that wedges included as part of a set won’t be as good as going out of your way to find other clubs? If you like the 2.0 irons so much, why wouldn’t TM have made perfectly decent wedges? Why would they make anything that wasn’t good?!

I’m tempted to special order a SW and see what it’s like. I certainly need something more lofted than the 45* PW in my bag. I’m not completely convinced about the need for 4 wedges. I’m not convinced that players don’t always still adjust their amount of swing for every <100yrd shot, regardless of which wedge they’ll take. And £65 for a SW seems fine, while £205 [EDIT £195, even!] for all three would be ludicrous for me at the moment.

I do - Sand and Approach. I am tempted to get the lob wedge but am happy with my current one for all of my short shots.

I just ordered mine yesterday after demoing a set from my club for 18 holes. I ordered 4 thru lob wedge including the Attack wedges which was brilliant in the set I played with. Interestingly, almost every chip I hit with the 9 iron was long, but solid. This may speak to the hotter loft and good sole design.
I did not see a big jump in distance with these irons in the middle and short irons, but the 4 iron was very long when hit solid! I ordered stock stiff graphite and hope they will be just what I need to get the distance my technique and birthdays have robbed from me!

I was prompted to order the wedges after buying a used set of X-14's with all the wedges. I found these "not pro" looking wedges much easier to use than the pro type wedges I have favoured for years.

Has anyone compared the 2.0s to the TP CB irons for forgiveness? I am looking for a more forgiving iron set and these do look good.

My latest feelings… after owning the 2.0 irons for two months…

I’m loving them! I’ve never played as well as I did this last weekend: seven pars and a birdie, and otherwise typically single bogies and just a few duff holes. That’s saying something considering I only got my first few pars and two birdies in very recent rounds.

I can’t believe I still haven’t compared my old clubs’ lofts side-by-side, except for having taken my old PW in the bag last round… and noticed a huge loft difference to the 2.0 PW. I imagine more than a whole club’s difference; I bet my old PW might be more lofted than the 2.0 AW.

I’m sure my new clubs are easier to hit, (and having used the old PW I appreciate the new grips are infinitely better), but knowing that the lofts are so much stronger is perhaps now working against my confidence to hit the long irons. I’m still only playing irons at the moment, and decided to not even attempt to play the 4i or 5i before a hole where a lucky strike that could achieve more than 200 yards off the tee could be advantageous.

So imagine my delight when it happened! I smashed my 4i significantly beyond 200yrds to clear a huge valley and reach the top of a hill above tee height: the first time I have ever been able to see the green for my 2nd shot to this par5! (7th 464yrds) And I pared it! A later hole (17th, 337yrds) over the same valley also got some outstanding luck; a really fluid 6i shot flew, and despite taking a heart-stopping path (cutting off too much of the dog-leg over the valley), I somehow ended up exactly where a friend had reached with his driver on a previous round. Again, at least 200yrds. My shot didn’t look anything like as long as his had done, but these clubs are magic, it got there! I’ve added a photo to demonstrate, marked up with tees, blue crosses for positions reached, 150yrd markers, and of course the valley. Can you tell how chuffed I am? LOL. I’ve just decided I’m going to get up early and go for a round tomorrow, so I might try to take on-course photos!

I’m going to have to invest in wedges, I can see that now. The 45* PW is pretty silly. If it wasn’t for having driven the 4i into the horizon a few times, I think I’d be wishing I’d bought 5i-AW/SW. Seriously, if you’re someone looking to buy a set and aren’t bothered about irons clearing 200yards, don’t worry if your set starts at 5i! I can do 200 with 5i and even easier with 6i. However, the fact the clubs are long is a bit of a psychological stumbling block, even for someone like me, who’s barely played in life, really. I took 9i shots to greens at 150-160yrds and it feels precarious. But to say to yourself… this is just taking an 8i with other clubs… seems then to make much more sense!

I’m glad to hear that folk have enjoyed 2.0 wedges. Call me old school, but I think if I’m investing in clubs to learn with, which I won’t even consider replacing for years, it’d be nice to have wedges that match the set. And if I get good enough to know I need wedge lofts adjusting… well, I can always try that with the 2.0 before trying different wedges. Why not play a set. Besides, if I want to keep these clubs into the future, I’d have to get matching wedges while they’re still on the market!

I’ll let you know how I got on tomorrow!

Bobby, I got about 215 off the tee and caught it quite high on the blade. I was mostly hitting the shorter irons into the greens through the day, but I laid up in two par 5's with the 5 iron and hit to great spots where I previously would have expected my 3 hybrid to get to. Now I am waiting till my set gets here which they said would be 3-5 days, but that was before I ordered uprgraded grips and the two extra wedges. There is no doubt that when I catch the middle of the face that these are the best irons I have had in my hands for some time, and I am really excited to start playing iron again into the long par 3's!
Dan

I said I’d come back with an update. I got two more 9-hole rounds in, yesterday and this morning. I’ll try to make my input as quantifiable as possible, but you might have to excuse my enthusiasm after two brilliant rounds!

I’ve played some pretty outstanding shots with my 4, 5, 6, 9 & PW. I’m not sure I even got the 7 or 8 iron out of the bag during either round, which is partly chance, but also due to being typically closer than 100 yards after tee shots on any par4, and the fact all par3s on my course are 150-160 yards. I’m reaching the par3s with my 9iron, and it’s been exhilarating to watch shots fly so high and hit greens every time. I’ve had to repair plenty of pitch marks for the first time in my life! In fact, I recall thinking as a kid, how do the top golfers land on greens and stay on greens? I would always fly through. Well, any shots played with the 2.0s that land on greens stay within a few metres of where they land! I’m playing Titleist Pro V1/V1x practice balls (new, supposedly perfect in construction, with possible cosmetic imperfections, but I seriously can’t see the difference… and they’re £20 rather than £40!) Anyway, Titleist claim they drop&stop. I don’t know whether it’s the clubs, the balls, or both, but I’m so happy at the moment I’m sure it’ll be years before I think to try anything else.

It’s so clear that a fortnight ago I was trying to hit the ball too hard. Or as a friend put it, trying to smash the print off the ball. So I’ve concentrated on not trying to be forceful, but smooth, and as a result a little slower. I don’t know whether this is the case with all golfers and golf clubs, but I currently feel the weight of the Burner 2.0s, which seems deliberately quite heavy, shouldn’t be fought against. I’m finding the best results come from swings at a maximum speed that still feels effortless. I’m learning that the clubs really will do all the rest for me. As well they should! Given all the wondrous claims!

I’m finding my (well struck) distances are consistent. I say this because I’ve read a few suggestions others haven’t found this. I say suggestions because I haven’t actually seen those first-hand reports. Is there just an online myth about mysterious distance fluctuations?

What’s more, it is also obvious, even from my less than perfect long iron striking, that there will be well stepped gaps when I improve. I keep saying my 6iron flies 200yards with ease, but that the 5 and 4 irons are harder to hit. Well, my lower, less impressive 5i/4i shots still end up travelling 200. But it’s plainly clear that they reserve more power than the 6i for when I improve at hitting them.

I’m not trying to blow my own trumpet here, and it feels immodest to report how far I’m hitting these irons when I catch shots really well! But if it inspires anyone else to invest in a set, then great! I’m loving mine! And no, I have no association to any golf company!!! Despite talking above about potentially well gapped clubs, I’ve played two immense 6iron shots today, that I can only estimate to be around 230yards each! One, slight downhill 254yard par4, I had all of 25yards to go with my 2nd shot, and nearly fluked an eagle. And the 464yard par5 I mentioned in my last post, I found my ball 6-8 feet away from the pin after two shots! A 4iron tee shot across a valley, and a 6iron blind from several meters below the apex of a hill, the 6i was better struck than the 4i and I think they split the distance evenly (so around 230yards each). Sadly I just missed my first realistic chance at an eagle! But I birdied the hole! I felt it a miracle when I’d pared it for the first time last weekend.

I’m loving the 150yards-160yard consistency of the 9iron, because my local course has 4 par3s at just this length. My PW is flying just as sweet at 125-130yards, and I’ve quickly got the feel for distance for shorter than full swings. The PW is not as much help under 50yards though; I can now see I really do need wedges.

So, it remains to be seen if my 4-PW settle nicely at distance gaps of around 17-25yards yards, but I’ll be over the moon if seven irons can cover 125-250yards!

Perhaps an unusual spell of beginner’s luck, but I can’t wait to play the course with my friends again, and pray my improvement holds!

Back