Steve Jobs Is Watching You

SO. JB IF you had an iPhone would you be getting rid of it right now? And who else is getting rid of their iPhones if you find this unacceptable?

I had an IPhone and still use a Mac.

I would wait to hear from Apple with an announcement. Then if it was unsatisfactory, then yes, I would get rid of it in an instant.

SO. JB IF you had an iPhone would you be getting rid of it right now? And will Hanks and yoccos be getting rid of their iPhones b/c clearly you find this unacceptable?

fify..

OEM is the tech/gadget guy...he's bleeding edge.....he bagged the iphone before and came back to it while I stayed on mine even after my previous one bricked....our paths are different but goals are the same

I had an IPhone and still use a Mac.

I would wait to hear from Apple with an announcement. Then if it was unsatisfactory, then yes, I would get rid of it in an instant.

I guess it wasnt quite workable enough? The iPhone after all is not forged like your MacBook. Interesting. Isnt Google a notorious purveyor and collector of the same types of information?

ok...as someone browsing the Smartphone market, this thread intrigued me.
IMHO, legally, by people consenting to the broad based "collection of data" statement, Apple would not be liable, right??
On the other hand, a lot of people will get angry at the shadows surrounding this and move to something else.

Questions for the group.....

How many people really read the TOS when they purchase something....all of it...?? (I dont...gimme my device and let me be on my way...)
If you did read it, and found the "Collection of Data" statement, would you confront the Verizon employee about it?? or just assume this was the run of the mill legal jargon to keep the company legal?? (albeit on the shady side) I would do the latter...

I am sure that Apple has a reason for doing this...which we will find out in the very near future....We probably will call BS on it, but have an answer none the less....

Does this toss the Iphone out of the running for my next phone?? Certainly not.....

I guess it wasnt quite workable enough? The iPhone after all is not forged like your MacBook. Interesting. Isnt Google a notorious purveyor and collector of the same types of information?

Clearly you are skimming.

Yes they are. Yes they collect it. Yes they keep it SECURED on their servers and yes their customers know they are doing it.

I wonder if your posts would look like this

**** ***** ***** **** ***** if we blocked the words forged and workable. Can you not have a conversation without the sarcastic side of things? I mean this whole thing is slightly ironic isnt it based on your past PM to me right?

I hope he wasn't watching me a few minutes ago.

one more thing...
That IOS4 TOS that someone linked to was dated June of 2010..

This sort of proves my point that no one really looks at the TOS else they would have seen the new TOS as something shady and found this out 10 months ago..

IMHO of course...

I'll admit I skimmed.

The entire notion pisses me off. I don't have an iPhone or iPad, but that's besides the point. As a citizen of this country, and as an adherent to the Constitution, I should have some expectation of privacy. That expectation is being narrowed with each passing year.

Yes they are. Yes they collect it. Yes they keep it SECURED on their servers and yes their customers know they are doing it.
Google is not perfect in any way either. Do you remember the fiasco about 6 months ago when Google was collecting data over peoples wifi connections while taking street view pictures? That data was not secure either.

I wonder if your posts would look like this

**** ***** ***** **** ***** if we blocked the words forged and workable. Can you not have a conversation without the sarcastic side of things? I mean this whole thing is slightly ironic isnt it based on your past PM to me right?

Clearly you are correct that I did miss a good part of this thread while driving to work or actually working, my bad. And I dont think Ive used the words forged and workable nearly as much as you do.

Google is not perfect in any way either. Do you remember the fiasco about 6 months ago when Google was collecting data over peoples wifi connections while taking street view pictures? That data was not secure either.

Definitely. It was really bad. I dont relate the two being that it was not a phone issue, but both were bad things happening.

Honestly not surprising to me at all. So everyone knows what that means, If you are going to do something bad leave your iPhone or iPad at home :D haha
Still an Apple fan their products are amazing and unparalleled in my opinion.

Have no fear TC, yes I would. Waiting on Apple's response. Funny part is I haven't upgraded to OS4 yet. Probably wont now. Obviously not much I can do now but once I can get a new phone I probably will. Was gonna wait for the newest blackberry's.

LMFAO. Dude I lol'd.

I hope he wasn't watching me a few minutes ago.

Actually yes, and my contract was signed prior to June 2010. Even still they usually have sections for collection of data. I usually do assume its what I consider somewhat standard collection and like all data I expect it to be secured. My bad though to be honest, Ill definitely be looking at the contracts even more. I work for a very large bank and if we lose an evelope containing anything its all over the news within 2 mins. Regardless of what information it contains.

one more thing...
That IOS4 TOS that someone linked to was dated June of 2010..

This sort of proves my point that no one really looks at the TOS else they would have seen the new TOS as something shady and found this out 10 months ago..

IMHO of course...

Yeah this is really really bad. The pro Apple crowd are arguing that it is not transmitting info to Apple. But that is not really the point. It's tracking private information without your knowledge, and without any way for the user to access and delete the information. Its really quite frightening. Like a camera watching you and because it is not being transmitted but held on file, it is okay.

reminds me of that bad Tom cruise movie.... ads that are tailored to you via your eyes lol.

Not much we can do - maybe someone will start a class action suit.

reminds me of that bad Tom cruise movie.... ads that are tailored to you via your eyes lol.

Not much we can do - maybe someone will start a class action suit.

Minority Report?

HAHA I read this and then saw this on Youtube

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this (skimmed) but Apple is not the first company to do this. Also, Apple is storing this captured data locally onto the phone rather than uploading it somewhere for analysis.

. Also, Apple is storing this captured data locally onto the phone rather than uploading it somewhere for analysis.

That is what many have a problem with.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this (skimmed) but Apple is not the first company to do this. Also, Apple is storing this captured data locally onto the phone rather than uploading it somewhere for analysis.

The thing that really bothered me when I read this was that its also backed up and restored across devices as you upgrade or change. What need is there for that??

Just read this, and it doesn't surprise me in the least. Its bad, real bad, and makes me very glad I've never owned anything Apple ever, and never will.

While this is no doubt a disgusting thing, it is ow that we know, Apple not terribly surprising. However, now that we know, Apple better act fast, they have got some serious cleanup to do. I think that if the customers were aware of it, then it would be fine, provided they had a way to clear this data.

I think that the stalker issue actually has merit. After seeing Tuna's comment on bypassing the password screen in an iPhone, I gave it a look. It is laughably easy. I give people two days before hackers find where the cache is, and that is a conservative guess. After that, anyone wishing to obtain information like this, be it a vindictive teen or a worried parent or a smart crook, will have it at their fingertips.

edit

Nevermind, it seems they have already got access to it.

Back