Steve Jobs Is Watching You

Not in my experience. I mean don't get me wrong Ill make stalker jokes and all but I guess unless you've been there it's hard to really wrap your head around what they'll do.
I can see what you mean.
Wouldn't Apple have know all along?
Yes of course, but do you think they will admit to it?

Lol. Nope. It'll be one of those system glitches caused by jailbraking and he warned us !!! hahaha.

I can see what you mean.

Yes of course, but do you think they will admit to it?

I agree with what everyone is saying about how it is unencrypted but I fail to see why this is such a big deal when google tracks everything you do as well.

Apple even has an app that is a restraunt finder and I think they have another one called Places that tells you everything that is nearby...couldnt that be what this is used for...maybe expanding on it for advertising?

I agree with what everyone is saying about how it is unencrypted but I fail to see why this is such a big deal when google tracks everything you do as well.
Apple even has an app that is a restraunt finder and I think they have another one called Places that tells you everything that is nearby...couldnt that be what this is used for...maybe expanding on it for advertising?

Because they are not tell you it is stored on your actual phone unencrypted.

Tell us you are collecting data in the TOS and put it on your secure server. But dont handle things like this. Its shady and bad.

Its like someone watching you and recording you on a SD card and then saying its okay because its only on the SD card and not published to the world....Until someone gets that SD card.

Exactly!

Not trying to be rude here but its not like a Stalker couldnt get someone to get this info. Stalkers usually aren't right of mind and I've seen it first hand. Stalkers don't have limits.

Yes. Password protect only prevents someone from accessing your info from your phone, not accessing it from your phone via another source

I just watched the video of the guys that discovered this discussing it. If someone finds my phone and is smart enough to do everything needed to track me, I would assume they could track me by hacking my laptop or home computer. Now that these guys have made an app to track these locations it has become easier. If you password protect your phone could someone still access this information?

Exactly!

Yes. Password protect only prevents someone from accessing your info from your phone, not accessing it from your phone via another source

So if it's password protected you can still plug it into a computer and access it through iTunes? Just curious myself if there's anyway to avoid that or if no matter what you can always just plug it in and access everything through iTunes.

You dont think they knew about this previously? Really?

Like I said in response to Yoccos. Of course they know, but they won't admit it. They will say OMG we had no idea here's a patch to solve the issue.

This is why they now make the Find your iPhone feature free so if you do lose it you can remotely wipe the phone.

look at it this way....unless your phone is completely off, your data is always accessible by someone of they want it bad enough no matter what.

my iphone is password protected but as soon as i connect to a computer the iphone potentially becomes accessible via the computer.

So if it's password protected you can still plug it into a computer and access it through iTunes? Just curious myself if there's anyway to avoid that or if no matter what you can always just plug it in and access everything through iTunes.

I honestly dont understand how this can affect my day to day life at all, and I know I cant control it. I have nothing to hide either. I can appreciate why people might not like something like this, it really just gets a big 'meh' from me.

which is all well and good provided you have access to a computer to get into your account and wipe the phone before someone gets what they want out of it.

it's a nice band-aid but not a fix to a potential bigger problem

This is why they now make the Find your iPhone feature free so if you do lose it you can remotely wipe the phone.

Like I said in response to Yoccos. Of course they know, but they won't admit it. They will say OMG we had no idea here's a patch to solve the issue.

Im going to go out on a limb and guess that you are a pretty big fan of Apple?

which is all well and good provided you have access to a computer to get into your account and wipe the phone before someone gets what they want out of it.

it's a nice band-aid but not a fix to a potential bigger problem
Right!

I see so your main problem is the fact that is just stored unencrypted...

not that they are doing it...just HOW they are doing it....right?

I see so your main problem is the fact that is just stored unencrypted...

not that they are doing it...just HOW they are doing it....right?

For me yes....And the fact that they are not telling people that they are doing it the way they are doing it (if that makes sense).

It should be illegal in my opinion to have files and systems on any device operating this way without full disclosure to the owner of the device in advance of purchase so you can decide if you want to participate or not. The device no longer belongs to Apple once I purchase it, I am not renting the iPhone or iPad. This is somewhat like a car maker putting a GPS device on the underside of your vehicle before you buy it and tracking that vehicle everywhere you go.

Im going to go out on a limb and guess that you are a pretty big fan of Apple?

75% of all my computing is Apple products. But I use Windows every day as well. Change all of the words Apple to Microsoft and I would still respond the same way.

For me yes....And the fact that they are not telling people that they are doing it the way they are doing it (if that makes sense).

I see...and I agree with you that there should be an option to turn it off but at the same time I will say that it is not something that is going to keep me from buying a iphone soon...

DIsclosure: I am not an Apple Lover....I used to dispise apple....but in recent years I have grown to like the fact that their products last longer than the competition in my experience...I had an ACer laptop for 1.5 years and have had the same macbook for 3 now and it is still going strong

look at it this way....unless your phone is completely off, your data is always accessible by someone of they want it bad enough no matter what.

my iphone is password protected but as soon as i connect to a computer the iphone potentially becomes accessible via the computer.

I understand that no matter what everything is potentially accessible, but I'm asking if it's password protected and an average person finds it can they just plug it into a computer and access your phone through iTunes without the password? I'm not asking this in reference to this problem, just a general question.

yes they will to an extent....any files (pics, music, docs) will be accessible via 'My computer' and any apps, music, etc will be accessible via iTunes. The info contained in those apps or emails would not be able to be retrieved until the password was entered on the phone correctly
I understand that no matter what everything is potentially accessible, but I'm asking if it's password protected and an average person finds it can they just plug it into a computer and access your phone through iTunes without the password? I'm not asking this in reference to this problem, just a general question.

A: It takes on average 37 seconds to crack an iPhone password by someone who knows what they're doing and I've seen it done in under 15. People don't use strong passwords and seem to like leaving their phones still around

B: Can't do anything about it? In the last month I've moved over 600 people off iPhones for corporate security reasons, this being one amongst many issues that plague it so far. It has counted enough that I've gotten some angry calls from the district office recently.

SO. JB IF you had an iPhone would you be getting rid of it right now? And who else is getting rid of their iPhones if you find this unacceptable?

SO. JB IF you had an iPhone would you be getting rid of it right now? And who else is getting rid of their iPhones if you find this unacceptable?

My iPhone is here to stay.

yes they will to an extent....any files (pics, music, docs) will be accessible via 'My computer' and any apps, music, etc will be accessible via iTunes. The info contained in those apps or emails would not be able to be retrieved until the password was entered on the phone correctly

Thanks.

Back