Space X Launch - Who’s Watching

what lesson is that? lol

They will take the data, analyze it, figure out what occurred, make changes, and try again. It's what we all do on a regular basis, but their stage is, let's say, larger, and their errors, more expansive and expensive.

As they said in the broadcast, they just wanted to clear the tower and know that it can take off (and not destroy the tower at that)

It made it to MECO and separation. How that’s considered not a success is beyond me considering it was only 10m to test it, they got a ton of data from it, and no one died. The culprit was 3 raptor engines didn’t fire at all, and that’s pretty evident in one of the views of the booster itself. The spin was pretty awesome, because you knew there was an issue and it was gonna be a self destruct.

She flew though. It took 6 seconds after ignition to get that big boss lady moving:oops:

While interesting, I'm of the opinion that we have bigger issues right here on Terra Firma that the brains and money used for this could be better applied.

Good job, SpaceX, nice to see the Super Heavy get things to that altitude on the first hop.

For those who consider this a total failure...I couldn't disagree more. You can't just search Youtube for a how-to video on how to get a craft of this size off the ground, split it up into two separate vehicles, and do it in such a way that booster recovery is possible. It was a significant length of flight that reached a significant altitude (high enough for separation, apparently?), and they'll be able to see what worked well, what didn't work well, and what didn't work at all that needs more design work.

All through history we can find examples of big ideas that took iteration to achieve the goals...things that we now see as commonplace. I can't say for certain, but I would guess that the vast majority of the naysayers (here, social media, pundits, etc.) probably don't come from the R&D sector.

They will take the data, analyze it, figure out what occurred, make changes, and try again. It's what we all do on a regular basis, but their stage is, let's say, larger, and their errors, more expansive and expensive.
Ok gotcha. I totally misread your meaning. I was thinking you meant learned their lesson as more of a kid burning their hand on a stove serves them right kinda way.

While interesting, I'm of the opinion that we have bigger issues right here on Terra Firma that the brains and money used for this could be better applied.
Your right, We do have bigger issues Like we need to find a way off of Earth so the Human race can continue.
We are the Aliens in Independence day we are consuming this planets resources and poisoning our own lands. Eventually we need to colonize space and Elon is forward thinking enough to possible do it.

It seems like People who don't like Elon are negative as to todays results when in reality it was a success as far as Space X was concerned.

Your right, We do have bigger issues Like we need to find a way off of Earth so the Human race can continue.
We are the Aliens in Independence day we are consuming this planets resources and poisoning our own lands. Eventually we need to colonize space and Elon is forward thinking enough to possible do it.

It seems like People who don't like Elon are negative as to todays results when in reality it was a success as far as Space X was concerned.

The internet can be difficult to interpret at times. Do you really think that? Or is this sarcasm?

They called it an “unscheduled rapid disassembly “ 🤣
I laughed pretty good at this!

Was a little worried it took so long to get airborne - but that's a whole lot of rocket to get moving!

Space Shuttle launches when i was stationed in NAS JAX back in the day, if i was on duty we would launch and go offshore and watch from there.
I was stationed at NAS Jax when Challenger exploded after launch: we could see the split smoke trails to the south. Horrible day.

I was stationed at NAS Jax when Challenger exploded after launch: we could see the split smoke trails to the south. Horrible day.
I left in 85 and was in Oklahoma then

I have my doubts as to the ability for humans to colonize space. We can go for short trips, close to the planet, but to make it out to Mars or other places, the physics of it don't work for me. Disclaimer: I'm not a scientist or engineer, however, the big issue to my mind is simply the 8 pounds that a gallon of water weighs. The average human is supposed to consume a gallon a day, correct? So, using my basic math, with a crew of, say, 20, for a trip to somewhere out there, that lasts for 100 days, that's 16,000 pounds in just water that needs to be lifted into zero gravity. Can we make a thruster big enough to compensate? I don't have a clue. The only viable way, in my opinion is to do a stepping stone approach using a much larger space station (which doesn't exist) to then jump to the moon (1/7th gravity), to a moon station (that doesn't exist), and from there, outwards.

Seems whole lot simpler to just clean up this planet.

I have my doubts as to the ability for humans to colonize space. We can go for short trips, close to the planet, but to make it out to Mars or other places, the physics of it don't work for me. Disclaimer: I'm not a scientist or engineer, however, the big issue to my mind is simply the 8 pounds that a gallon of water weighs. The average human is supposed to consume a gallon a day, correct? So, using my basic math, with a crew of, say, 20, for a trip to somewhere out there, that lasts for 100 days, that's 16,000 pounds in just water that needs to be lifted into zero gravity. Can we make a thruster big enough to compensate? I don't have a clue. The only viable way, in my opinion is to do a stepping stone approach using a much larger space station (which doesn't exist) to then jump to the moon (1/7th gravity), to a moon station (that doesn't exist), and from there, outwards.

Seems whole lot simpler to just clean up this planet.
Well starship payload is estimated to be up to 300,000 lbs. So probably. But yeah, there's a lot of unsolved problems to get to space travel much less colonization.

Well starship payload is estimated to be up to 300,000 lbs. So probably. But yeah, there's a lot of unsolved problems to get to space travel much less colonization.
Ah. Then that's one concern, down. And once it gets into space, obviously there's no issue.

it's really hard to get perspective on the size of starship.

but here's a model of the falcon9 next to the thing that they just tried to launch. :LOL:

oooooo, get ready

Steve Bannon Bingo GIF

I cannot wait. 38km and keeping less than 5 engines going out is one goal. A separation from the main booster and a belly flop is the other.

Not blowing up when it lands is icing on the cake. Even the falcon heavy main booster missed the damn landing drone by several feet and splashed down next to it when they finally got the boosters to land together. Come on successful Friday!

oooooo, get ready

Steve Bannon Bingo GIF

I cannot wait. 38km and keeping less than 5 engines going out is one goal. A separation from the main booster and a belly flop is the other.

Not blowing up when it lands is icing on the cake. Even the falcon heavy main booster missed the damn landing drone by several feet and splashed down next to it when they finally got the boosters to land together. Come on successful Friday!

I’m stoked for this.

As am I, kind of annoyed it’s on Friday and not like right effing now.
Yep. I’m currently reading a book about Apollo 8 so now would be good.

Back