Space X Launch - Who’s Watching

I’m stoked for this.
I emailed the tweet to my daughter’s teacher. The littles should watch something they’ll be seeing for a very, very, long time. Teach em early, teach em young.

Yep. I’m currently reading a book about Apollo 8 so now would be good.
I was watching videos of falcon heavy launch tests and launches, and maybe the one I took my kiddo too.

There’s something very cool about watching a 20 story building fall from the sky and land in one piece.

I emailed the tweet to my daughter’s teacher. The littles should watch something they’ll be seeing for a very, very, long time. Teach em early, teach em young.
that’s awesome!

Delayed to Saturday because of one of the grid fin actuators. Mother. Effer.

Queen Of Versailles GIF by discovery+

You just can't find good grid fin actuators these days.

a delay to Saturday will give me plenty of time to get situated with all the necessary snacks and drinks required for a successful launch. (It’s important that all space nerds be prepared)

I love this s#^+.

a delay to Saturday will give me plenty of time to get situated with all the necessary snacks and drinks required for a successful launch. (It’s important that all space nerds be prepared)

I love this s#^+.
If it fully lands all in one piece? Dude. Duuuudddeee.

I sincerely want to see if the arms will catch it and all.

Good morning, Space Rangers!

That view with the rising sun and rocket is amazing!

I experienced a rapid disassembly on #11, fellas. My game blew up.

I experienced a rapid disassembly on #11, fellas. My game blew up.
😂

The ole rapid scorecard disassembly. Happens to all of us.

Highlights: all 33 engines fired and maintained power. That looked freakin SICK.

Made it to stage separation and the booster flip. Why they blew it up, no idea. Probably because it was so cool looking they couldn’t even take it.

The starship itself had all 6 engines fire and made it to MECO. I’m not entirely convinced its self destruct wasn’t triggered due to loss of communication so it just went kaboom in order to not have a floating rocket just lost and doing its thing up there. 138km seemed like that was maybe too high for what they were going for? It’s never made it that far up even when they were testing it landing, so I’m not sure what the range is supposed to be.

I look forward to the next test in likely ‘24. I was hoping we would see them try and catch the booster on the next test but that may get pushed back a bit!

Boring nerd update: someone took a screenshot of the feed at the separation. They lost a couple engines as the starship engines engaged and the booster began to flip. Not sure if the stress caused them to go out or if they lost fuel/pressure in them when starship fired up.

One wouldn’t think it would cause an issue, as it doesn’t seem to be a biggie in Falcon 9 separations, but there is also a couple second delay before that Merlin vacuum power engine fires up.

I’m sure they’ll figure it out. Now would be good, come on we have a low key next week, let’s see some more fun stuff.

As often as these explode, just imagine the angst when they finally send a person in one of these rockets. Sure, it won’t be until they did like a bunch of successful test flights, but I sure wouldn’t be the first to step in one of these rockets.

Watched with my almost 4 year old and he was very curious about rockets and outer space.

As often as these explode, just imagine the angst when they finally send a person in one of these rockets. Sure, it won’t be until they did like a bunch of successful test flights, but I sure wouldn’t be the first to step in one of these rockets.
They’ll have the uh oh capsule for those kinda moments though. At least, they’re supposed to!

They’ll have the uh oh capsule for those kinda moments though. At least, they’re supposed to!
Just imagine being in something called the uh oh capsule.

I give it to test pilots. They have nerves if steel.

Just imagine being in something called the uh oh capsule.

I give it to test pilots. They have nerves if steel.
Technical term haha. Shuttles had them, even the Challenger. Things have just come a long way since 86. Columbia didn’t ultimately matter, which is awful :(

That all being said, they test and test so we don’t have to worry about how well uh oh capsules work and perform. Space X’s mentality is test and test until it performs, and then they’ll have the gold standard, so to speak.

NASA prefers to take forever and ever before they launch since they quintuple check everything, and it cost billions. Thus why we have had two Starship launches and tests in the time Artemis 1 has gone off once. Artemis II is a TBD for ‘24 :(

Oh man there’s a falcon launch right when we are arriving to port Canaveral tomorrow. Hope the timing works out.

Watched the falcon heavy earlier, and now just forcing myself to stay up for the double header at 11:01. The fact there’s two in one night is pretty damn awesome to me.

Had a great view from the course tonight overlooking the range. Could see everything up until the final landing burn!

Watched the falcon heavy earlier, and now just forcing myself to stay up for the double header at 11:01. The fact there’s two in one night is pretty damn awesome to me.

Had a great view from the course tonight overlooking the range. Could see everything up until the final landing burn!
I’m trying to stay up. I’ve been nodding off for the last half-hour.

Back