Someonescoat Journey to Single Handicap

Someonescoat

Single digit HC is the goal
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
It has officially been 1 year since cancer took my Dad. Which means it has been 1 year since I actually picked up golf. Not expecting anyone to follow this or anything. Mostly documenting my own journey. I've really come to love and obsess over this game, which if you told me 3 years ago that'd be the case, I would've laughed in your face.

My ultimate goal is to become a single digit HC. Long way to go on that end but getting better constantly. Below is my first Grint score followed by my most recent. Screenshot_20220720-120350_TheGrint.jpgScreenshot_20220720-120417_TheGrint.jpg

I'm heading out shortly with my brother and 2 brother in laws to play a round to celebrate my Dad. Think he'd really like how much I've improved and come to enjoy the game he loved. I'll post my score from today in the thread after.

I think this is a wonderful way to celebrate your Dad.

I love your enthusiasm for the game and your attitude. It was a pleasure to see that at The Rivalry. Keep on trucking, Coat, I can't wait to see how quickly you hit that single digit and beg for pops when we play!

Some serious improvement in year 1, looking forward to following your journey to single digits, I think you get there quick than you think based on your dedication to the sport that I’ve seen on this forum

nine months and a 40 stroke difference! I know it's different courses but that still is AMAZING! Keep going and I'm ready to follow along!

Great job Coat! - We would have been in a heap of trouble if you put up a 92 on me and @Davidhibler at the Rivalry. Keep it going - will be watching.

That's some serious improvement! Best of luck reaching your goal! You are definitely trending in the right direction!

It'll be pretty awesome for you to be able to go back and read through this thread to see where you started and relive the journey as time goes on.

Good luck bud!

That is already some crazy improvement in less than a year. Definitely well on your way!

Love this. Looking forward to following along.

you know I’ve been watching you on the grint and you’ve been absolutely killing it and you have an awesome on course attitude.
really happy to see this thread.
This will be a big time follow for me.

Going to be a great ride and celebration for your Dad.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing you with that single digit scorecard

Looking forward to following along. You have come a long way all ready and you will be there in no time with a bit of work.

That’s huge man. Enjoy the round today and I’ll be following and supporting the journey 👊.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Playing with you at The Rivalry I can definitely see you get to single digits fairly quickly. Plus I always root for my fellow Samsung users!

Love this and love your enthusiasm. Having seen you play i know you can do this!! Look forward to following your journey.

Cheers to your Dad and a great way to celebrate! Looking forward to following along with your journey!!!

Awesome was to remember and commemorate him, enjoy your round and the journey!

@Someonescoat excited to see your golf journey unfold. Hope to get out with you again.

@Someonescoat i am sorry for the loss of your father. celebrating his life through golf is wonderful.

A 40 stroke difference between n a year!?!?

That is incredible! You have the focus and will to get better which is fantastic. I’ll raise my glass to your and family tonight. Well done and I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Well, the mental part of the game is my worst aspect. Hit a decent druve off the tee. Took a weird kick to the right, hit the cart path, and lost it in high grass. Second hole, hit a well struck ball but left and it caught a branch with plenty of rough around but it found the bunker. 3rd hole I hit a drive right a bit but ok. Absolutely pre my hybrid which catches the only branch in the vicinity and somehow kicks 40 yards further right so I had to take a drop. I drop abd hit probably the best 3 iron ever, which doesnt go as right as needed but should've played fine. I go looking for it and my brother in law tells me it hit the cart path and bounced over the 25 yards or so of rough and into the tall grass.

Pretty much lost it right then and there. Didn't feel like I had hit a bad shot yet but was being punished. Took myself out of the round mentally.

I did putt really well today with the exception of a hole. Speed was great and burned about 7 edges on long putts with great speed.

I've got some personal stuff going on in life at the moment which crept into my conscious as well. Just not alot of joy in life so when today went to the crapper just compounded things.

Gotta shake it off, drive the 3.5 hours back home after this vacation and get back to it. Today was a total misnomer ao I'm really not worried about it as of yet.

Edit: really appreciate all the kind words and the fact othera are interested in seeing me (hopefully) improve. Thanks all.

i would also add...Camas Meadows and Red Tail are both fairly penal on any miss. If you want to hit up say...meriwether, you might find it a bit easier even on the misses. You have the length to get where you hope to be so learning the ins and outs of your swing is key.

How much longer you here in the PDX area? I am hitting meriwether with a friend Saturday, but almost always up for 36 if you want to play around 5, let me know.

Best of luck regardless on your work and hope to play a round with you again some day

Coat, I too am a high handicapper trying to make significant improvements this year. I am looking forward to following along. Thanks for the inspiration.

Back