Breckinridge today. Only 6 runs as the wind chill was -5. Made the bar more attractive than slopes.

Probably last weekend of the season. Spring skiing at Beaver Creek.00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190406105956621.jpg

Probably last weekend of the season. Spring skiing at Beaver Creek.View attachment 38630

Was out at silverton and wolf creek a weekend of 3/16, had a bit off a rough time out there do to blizzard and sleeping in car with four guys on i-70, luckily it was an Expedition. But we eventually did get to Silverton on Friday at 1am and skied untouched powder. We paid for a run of heli skiing, but they also had to helicopter us in due to avalanches covering the road. Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_MDYXGn6p0

Then skied Wolf Creek for two days. Might go one more time want it to be really slushy. Maybe the Loaf or Killington.

Was out at silverton and wolf creek a weekend of 3/16, had a bit off a rough time out there do to blizzard and sleeping in car with four guys on i-70, luckily it was an Expedition. But we eventually did get to Silverton on Friday at 1am and skied untouched powder. We paid for a run of heli skiing, but they also had to helicopter us in due to avalanches covering the road. Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_MDYXGn6p0

Then skied Wolf Creek for two days. Might go one more time want it to be really slushy. Maybe the Loaf or Killington.

That must have been really sweet. It has been a great snow year here in CO. If you want slushy the mountain turned into a giant slurpy about 1:00.

This is the year I finally figure it out! No excuses living in CO

Question for the skiers. I am just getting back into it after a very long hiatus. My girlfriend just bought me a new set of skii's online. I still need bindings and boots, etc. Best to purchase at the local shop or best to purchase online as well? I'm guessing the local shops charge an extra fee to install stuff not purchased there so not sure what is more cost effective.

Question for the skiers. I am just getting back into it after a very long hiatus. My girlfriend just bought me a new set of skii's online. I still need bindings and boots, etc. Best to purchase at the local shop or best to purchase online as well? I'm guessing the local shops charge an extra fee to install stuff not purchased there so not sure what is more cost effective.
For Bindings and boots I would get at local store. They will mount the bindings and make sure the settings are correct for your skiing ability and weight. Also with boots you will get to try on a bunch and find a boot that fits your foot the best.

For Bindings and boots I would get at local store. They will mount the bindings and make sure the settings are correct for your skiing ability and weight. Also with boots you will get to try on a bunch and find a boot that fits your foot the best.

Absolutely concur. The boots are the most important piece of equipment and you want to make sure you have the right fit. All my skis have been bought in person, but if I ever do decide to purchase online, I won't buy the boots that way. Buying shoes or slippers on line is bad enough worrying about if they'll fit or not; I wouldn't want to deal with ski boots.

Need to get out more this winter; hopefully the mountains get pounded with snow. Two seasons ago, I finally skied and golfed in the same weekend. It was always a goal of mine (I live a sheltered life :whistle:)

I did same day ski and golf when I lived in Colorado, in MA not so much

Thanks guys. I’m just skiing recreationally so not looking to spend a ton on boots, is there a price range I should be looking at or is it all about fit/comfort?

I did same day ski and golf when I lived in Colorado, in MA not so much
Definitely tough. Weather needs to work out with late spring skiing while not plowing down the mountain on grass and warm enough to actually enjoy golf. I doubt same day would ever happen for me.

Thanks guys. I’m just skiing recreationally so not looking to spend a ton on boots, is there a price range I should be looking at or is it all about fit/comfort?
Splurge on the boots if you can. You could even just buy the boots and rent skis for a season to save money.

Fit and comfort is huge, but that does mean you need to spend a lot. you might be able to find a previous year model or so. probably spend around $200 or so

Fit and comfort is huge, but that does mean you need to spend a lot. you might be able to find a previous year model or so. probably spend around $200 or so

I‘ll add to this even though I’m a snowboarder. Do not need to spend a lot to get good fit and comfort but something I’d really invest in is quality footbeds. I have custom made ones in my snowboard boots and it’s night and day. All of my fellow ski instructors have custom orthotics as well. If you are going to be wearing those hard boots all day make sure they are fitted properly and get good footbeds. Will make your ski day so much more enjoyable.

I skied Whiteface (near Lake Placid, NY) on Friday. An underappreciated mountain and at 4,867 feet above sea level, taller than most of the well-known Vermont areas.

Literally, my first time skiing in over 10 years, but like riding a bike, it came right back. Gorgeous day, beautiful conditions, lots of snow, and no lift lines. I've got the bug again.

• Appreciation
Reactions: Bus
skiing started off slowly in the east but is picking up steam in March

skiing started off slowly in the east but is picking up steam in March
Lots of snow expected tonight. Heading out again Friday....

Day 10 in VT. Great spring break with my son riding. Score pow everyday so far including a resort that hasn’t been open since 1985. Stratton, Killington, Sugarbush, Jay Peak and someplace else.
CAA2F070-A57D-4411-8A0A-F959FB64EE9C.jpeg74041783-9CA0-47C1-9227-50571B3886E4.jpeg0EB3402D-8124-4AC8-9683-24F6E8823D68.jpegFC02585A-22D0-47F8-8970-7C180D23D0AB.jpeg7071CF24-D8A6-4EB9-BD3A-4ADDEAE32BDA.jpeg

Bumping this thread to the dismay of probably most on THP lol. I got around to teaching myself how to ski two seasons ago after snowboarding since I was about 14, albeit that first season I believe may have been a grand total of 3 times in Ohio....so not much. This past season i went all in, got a pretty solid setup, and hit the trails a bunch. Capped it off with a 5 day trip to Keystone which we put well over 100 miles in during the trip.

Did realize one thing though, got my boots a bit too big and lost control a little out in the mountains. Because we were skiing so much I really packed my boots out and I was sliding in them. (not great). So I just picked up a new pair of K2 Recon 120's that are a season or two old for the price drop and put them on and they feel great. A bit tight at first obviously but feel like they will wear in nicely. can't wait to get back out there this season, but don't believe I will be making it back out west this year. Maybe try to hit up VT or something instead if I can swing the drive.

Thankfully I live in a hub for skiing. My son loves it, so my wife and I risk our knee's for his enjoyment. Last year we had a really good snow year. We already have snow up high, so we are hoping for another really good snow year.

Thankfully I live in a hub for skiing. My son loves it, so my wife and I risk our knee's for his enjoyment. Last year we had a really good snow year. We already have snow up high, so we are hoping for another really good snow year.
was actually looking at flights out to Bozeman this season. MT is a place I would love to check off my list.

Would love to go out to Bozeman too. We go out west usually every year but mostly go to Telluride, Wolf Creek and Silverton (heli skiing) in Colorado. Sometimes head up to BC.

Vermont does have some great skiing as well. Jay, Sugarbush, Stowe.

Looking forward to hit back to hitting the gym

was actually looking at flights out to Bozeman this season. MT is a place I would love to check off my list.
Just watch out for grizzly bears.

Would love to go out to Bozeman too. We go out west usually every year but mostly go to Telluride, Wolf Creek and Silverton (heli skiing) in Colorado. Sometimes head up to BC.

Vermont does have some great skiing as well. Jay, Sugarbush, Stowe.

Looking forward to hit back to hitting the gym
Yea same here, I start my skiing fitness ramp up every October.

Back