loved skiing out there, I could get to the mountains in an hour, when 70 wasn't packed and had season pass to Vail, Breck, Beaver, Keystone and A for $300 per year. Mostly did A-Basin as that was closest and easier for parking and all. But the back bowls of Vail and Blue Sky basin were phenomenal. Coming from New England it was eye opening

It’s been 6 years since our last ski trip. So this season, we’re bringing it back! Just started planning a Feb/Mar trip to Heavenly. Can’t wait to get back out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got up for a ski day with my daughter today. The snow was surprisingly good considering that it's mostly man-made with our dry start to the winter.

The Tahoe ski areas are absolutely crowd-free with everyone thinking there is no snow. It was fun having the runs almost to ourselves today.

Doing a daily snow dance as we have a trip booked for Steamboat Jan 2. With only 16" base and 35/165 trails open it needs to dump to make the trip worth it.

Doing a daily snow dance as we have a trip booked for Steamboat Jan 2. With only 16" base and 35/165 trails open it needs to dump to make the trip worth it.

California and Colorado have been very dry so far. We never seem to have good conditions until after Christmas.

Winter Park today since they finally got some good snow but much more is needed.
20180114_151419.jpg

Top of gondola at Steamboat on a bluebird day after 3 days of snow. Should be the best its been all year but that isn't saying much.
20180211_093406.jpg

Winter Park today since they finally got some good snow but much more is needed.
View attachment 30886

Glad to hear they got some snow as I have a ski trip to the Summit area March 10th-17th. We are having our worst snow year in California since 1977 and it looks like it might turn into the worst ever snowpack for the March 1st reading if the forecast holds. I picked a good winter to have hernia surgery - my doc says I can get back on my skis February 20th.

Let it snow!

Glad to hear they got some snow as I have a ski trip to the Summit area March 10th-17th. We are having our worst snow year in California since 1977 and it looks like it might turn into the worst ever snowpack for the March 1st reading if the forecast holds. I picked a good winter to have hernia surgery - my doc says I can get back on my skis February 20th.

Let it snow!

The weather pattern finally shifted to where we are getting a couple storms a week in the mountains. Today was the first day I could just let it rip and not worry about the snow.

Best this old guy could do today.
Screenshot_20180211-175319.png

Up in Stowe for some skiing. Nice to be back up here

Nice to actually talk about playing in the snow again! Had a great weekend at Aspen Highlands on Saturday and Snowmass on Sunday. Snowmass has been one of the big winners in this last storm cycle which feels like a rarity anymore. Got another 12" going into yesterday but didn't get off work in time to take advantage. We have a hall pass from work tomorrow if we get good snow totals from this next storm hitting tonight. Fingers crossed!

Puking snow all day at Snowmass again! 12-16" on the ground and still stacking. Been waiting all winter for this!

Headed up to Utah for a ski trip this weekend with my son. He is incredibly excited. Over Christmas we spent some time at Alta, so I think we'll hit Solitude and Brighton this trip. Haven't skied either of those mountains in at least 15 years.

I had a great powder day at Alpine Meadows in Lake Tahoe today. It looks like winter is finally arriving now that it is March in 2 days.

45" to 79" of new snow in the forecast!!!!

Detailed Forecast
Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 17. East northeast wind 6 to 11 mph.
Wednesday: A chance of snow showers between 10 am and 4 pm, then snow after 4 pm. High near 28. South southwest wind 8 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow. Temperature rising to around 29 by 4 am. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 24 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Thursday: Snow, The snow could be heavy at times. High near 30. Windy, with a south southwest wind 29 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 19 to 25 inches possible.

Thursday Night: Snow showers. Low around 17. Windy, with a south southwest wind 30 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

Friday: Snow showers. High near 21. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Friday NightSnow showers. Low around 15. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

BC skiing

BC skiing

that sounds awesome!!!

I just got back from a BC trip.

Cat skied at Fernie

2 steep and deep days at Kicking Horse. Great mountain with so much powder

and 1 day at Revelstoke, another great mountain but snow was not as good as KH

I had a great powder day at Alpine Meadows in Lake Tahoe today. It looks like winter is finally arriving now that it is March in 2 days.

45" to 79" of new snow in the forecast!!!!

Detailed Forecast
Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 17. East northeast wind 6 to 11 mph.
Wednesday: A chance of snow showers between 10 am and 4 pm, then snow after 4 pm. High near 28. South southwest wind 8 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow. Temperature rising to around 29 by 4 am. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 24 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Thursday: Snow, The snow could be heavy at times. High near 30. Windy, with a south southwest wind 29 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 19 to 25 inches possible.

Thursday Night: Snow showers. Low around 17. Windy, with a south southwest wind 30 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

Friday: Snow showers. High near 21. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Friday NightSnow showers. Low around 15. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

that sounds awesome!!!

I just got back from a BC trip.

Cat skied at Fernie

2 steep and deep days at Kicking Horse. Great mountain with so much powder

and 1 day at Revelstoke, another great mountain but snow was not as good as KH

I have heli and cat skied in southern BC but haven’t yet made it up to Kicking Horse and Revelstoke. It’s on my bucket list and I plan on checking it off in the next couple years after I retire. I’m headed to Summit County in less than 2 weeks for a ski trip with one of my best friends and 4 of his buddies. Can’t wait!

I consider myself a very good skier and have skied in many places (not Tahoe yet, maybe April) We skied for 6 hours one day at KH and got in two runs. We did not ski slowly, I did not fall any more than one but each run took about 2 hours (plus the lift up). It was crazy how the lodge never seemed to get closer. The first run we hiked up and skied T1 and after lunch we hiked up and skied T2.

So much fun. Have fun in Summit county hopefully the snow is good there as I know CO has not had the best of winters.

I consider myself a very good skier and have skied in many places (not Tahoe yet, maybe April) We skied for 6 hours one day at KH and got in two runs. We did not ski slowly, I did not fall any more than one but each run took about 2 hours (plus the lift up). It was crazy how the lodge never seemed to get closer. The first run we hiked up and skied T1 and after lunch we hiked up and skied T2.

So much fun. Have fun in Summit county hopefully the snow is good there as I know CO has not had the best of winters.

They have not. All the snow this year so far is north in BC, Washington and Montana. I’m going to get 4-5 days in here in the Tahoe area in the next 10 days before I head to Colorado to get my ski legs back after my hernia surgery 6 weeks ago. I might have to leave my powder skis at home but at least the snow is finally falling in feet not inches here in the Sierras.

Being now back in the east the powder don't get used as frequently as the Bonfide's. I love skiing knee deep.

Tahoe is still good in april right? Also looks like Squaw might be best mountain, any comments. My wife will be going to SF for work and I am going to tag along for a couple before heading to Tahoe

Being now back in the east the powder don't get used as frequently as the Bonfide's. I love skiing knee deep.

Tahoe is still good in april right? Also looks like Squaw might be best mountain, any comments. My wife will be going to SF for work and I am going to tag along for a couple before heading to Tahoe

Tahoe can be good in early to mid April but will normally slush out by noon or 1:00 pm. The north facing runs like Chute 75 and G.S. bowl off of the KT-22 chair at Squaw will often have good snow until later in the day in April. Kirkwood is my favorite mountain in the area and also has the highest base elevation but is hard to get to because it is a 30+ minute drive from S. Lake Tahoe. Squaw has the best terrain but can get skied out by noon after a storm with the big crowds they attract. If you ski Squaw they have a shuttle to their sister resort, Apline Meadows which I often prefer because of smaller crowds. Most of the expert terrain in Tahoe hasn’t been open yet this year due to lack of snow which I’ve never seen this late in the year the past 2 decades I’ve had season passes here. That will all change with the 4-7 feet of snow coming the next 3 days. 2 more feet should get most of the rocks covered.

The good news for your visit is the crowds in April are generally very light in this area compared to Colorado and other western states. Very few Californians are avid skiers and most give up on the ski season by mid March. Ironic because this year it looks like the only good ski conditions will be in March and April.

Early spring skiing at Mary Jane. 45*!

20180303_104751.jpg
Lunch

Attachments

• 20180303_114719.jpg
    20180303_114719.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 0
Screenshot_20180303-154654.png
I love this app.

Skiing

I love the Ski Tracks app as well. I got out today with a buddy for some turns at Northstar. I leave for a Colorado ski trip on Saturday and I’m trying to get my legs under me before I go. I should be able to get out on the slopes again on Thursday. My legs need a break after today. We cranked out the vertical for only being out there 4 hours and taking 30 minutes for lunch.

d917406d3e0e98754201e380ea2cbc41.jpg
8ef08b0dceddbc3923a7715093a6c3a7.jpg

Last edited:
I love the Ski Tracks app as well. I got out today with a buddy for some turns at Northstar. I leave for a Colorado ski trip on Saturday and I’m trying to get my legs under me before I go. I should be able to get out on the slopes again on Thursday. My legs need a break after today. We cranked out the vertical for only being out there 4 hours and taking 30 minutes for lunch.

d917406d3e0e98754201e380ea2cbc41.jpg
8ef08b0dceddbc3923a7715093a6c3a7.jpg

That's a good day of skiing. My legs still hurt.

Back