Shot Scope Pro L2 Laser Rangefinder

For those using the Pro L2, how easy is it to lock on to a target? First shot or does it take a couple of tries? Do you get consistent readings?

The reason I'm asking is I'm considering picking up one soon, but I have a Pro LX+ that has been disappointing. It has always struggled to lock onto the correct target and provide the correct distance. I forgot my X5 watch awhile back and tried using the Pro LX+, but had to give up and rely on course markers. On a par 3 that was playing about 165, I got readings that ranged from 52 yards to 209 yards and never got the same number twice. Even braced against the cart with the target dead on the flag it returned crazy numbers. It honestly seems to be worse now than when I first got it, but not sure how that would happen.

In any case, I'd like to have a rangefinder as a backup to my X5 and the Pro L2 seems like a good little unit for what I need, but I'm a little worried. Some reviews I've read seem to show it having a similar problem to my Pro LX+. My FIL has an older ShotScope rangefinder that is just dead on accurate and ridiculously easy to pick up a target. I think it may have been the predecessor to the Pro L2, which is another reason I was looking at it.

For those using the Pro L2, how easy is it to lock on to a target? First shot or does it take a couple of tries? Do you get consistent readings?

The reason I'm asking is I'm considering picking up one soon, but I have a Pro LX+ that has been disappointing. It has always struggled to lock onto the correct target and provide the correct distance. I forgot my X5 watch awhile back and tried using the Pro LX+, but had to give up and rely on course markers. On a par 3 that was playing about 165, I got readings that ranged from 52 yards to 209 yards and never got the same number twice. Even braced against the cart with the target dead on the flag it returned crazy numbers. It honestly seems to be worse now than when I first got it, but not sure how that would happen.

In any case, I'd like to have a rangefinder as a backup to my X5 and the Pro L2 seems like a good little unit for what I need, but I'm a little worried. Some reviews I've read seem to show it having a similar problem to my Pro LX+. My FIL has an older ShotScope rangefinder that is just dead on accurate and ridiculously easy to pick up a target. I think it may have been the predecessor to the Pro L2, which is another reason I was looking at it.
Haven’t had much of an issue if at all. I always use the sweep function so it can identify the pin easier. Solid unit and always trusty.

Haven’t had much of an issue if at all. I always use the sweep function so it can identify the pin easier. Solid unit and always trusty.
Good to hear. I'm just a little wary after the Pro LX+ gave me trouble. The Pro L2 looks like a steal at $129, but wanted to ask about it hear. I appreciate the feedback!

Very good price point but I have the LX+ already so I’m not the target demographic. Such a good deal for those in the market though.

It’s nice to see these getting some love. I have been trying to convince local people to me that they make great units and have great pricing. I have used the older LX+ and I bought the updated version as soon as it was released. Hell I still haven’t got around to trying the shot tracking features with the H4

Mine was delivered yesterday. Going to take it to the course in a couple hours. I’ll report back any issues or critiques I have.

Last edited:
It’s nice to see these getting some love. I have been trying to convince local people to me that they make great units and have great pricing. I have used the older LX+ and I bought the updated version as soon as it was released. Hell I still haven’t got around to trying the shot tracking features with the H4
I did end up buying one and then promptly losing it on the course. 🤣
It was good at its job while it lasted though!

I agree, the sweep function does seem to make it acquire more easily than if I aim directly at the pin and push the button.

I agree, the sweep function does seem to make it acquire more easily than if I aim directly at the pin and push the button.
Can you explain the sweep function...I just got it...holding the button at the flag it does not lock on that quick or easily.

Can you explain the sweep function...I just got it...holding the button at the flag it does not lock on that quick or easily.
Hold the button while aiming somewhere to either side of the flag, sweep across until you're locked on the flagstick.

I didn't see that in the manual...is that just a little know trick?
Strangely enough, it's not in the User Guide. @GavinwithaR1 mentioned it in post #49 of this thread and it was discussed by several other users, so I guess I learned about it here.

Hold the button while aiming somewhere to either side of the flag, sweep across until you're locked on the flagstick.
I’m going to try this my next round because I was pretty disappointed with it yesterday. I got the usual 180 read from 150 because I missed and hit a tree in the background, I expect that to happen some. What I didn’t expect was to shoot the flag 4 times from roughly 150 and get readings of 147,154,153,144. That’s pretty bad.

It wasn’t just the one time, it was every time I tried to use it. There was no cell service or WiFi at this course so no gps to fall back on. It made for an interesting and frustrating round.

I’m going to try this my next round because I was pretty disappointed with it yesterday. I got the usual 180 read from 150 because I missed and hit a tree in the background, I expect that to happen some. What I didn’t expect was to shoot the flag 4 times from roughly 150 and get readings of 147,154,153,144. That’s pretty bad.

It wasn’t just the one time, it was every time I tried to use it. There was no cell service or WiFi at this course so no gps to fall back on. It made for an interesting and frustrating round.
Yeah I am going to give the left to right scan a try because just holding it at the flag was disappointing. My cheap Amazon range finder locked on quicker when aiming directly at the flag.

I wish the "scan" would have been documented somewhere...even reading through this entire thread I didn't realize what was meant until asking about it.

I thought the "scan" technique was universal for all rangefinders, at least the golf style ones that prioritize and lock onto the closest target. I've done that with all my Bushnell and Nikon rangefinders over the years.

I thought the "scan" technique was universal for all rangefinders, at least the golf style ones that prioritize and lock onto the closest target. I've done that with all my Bushnell and Nikon rangefinders over the years.
That's good to know...I just recently started using one and had no idea.

That's good to know...I just recently started using one and had no idea.
I just did some googling and now understand that pin seek returns the closest of all the objects while the button is held so it makes sense it would be much easier to get a lock "scanning" over the flag.

Glad I stumbled on the tip from this thread.

I tried to sweeping method a couple hours ago on a tree about 100 yards away. It was better but the yardages still weren’t consistent. They varied 5-10 yards.

Back