Ragnar Trail Phoenix kicks off Friday afternoon. I'm so out of shape and unprepared. I haven't run distance in weeks.

Oh well. Still gonna do it, because I'm an idiot.

Well tomorrow will most likely be my last marathon of the year. Excited and hoping the weather stays a tad chilly for first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well tomorrow will most likely be my last marathon of the year. Excited and hoping the weather stays a tad chilly for first half.

Going to be an early morning as I have to drive an hour. Not looking forward to the drive back.

How'd it go

Insane. In college for cross country my best 10K time was 31:30, which is decent but only 5:04 pace. I can only imagine dropping my pace down a half minute AND running 20 more miles at said pace.

I'm trying to get my 5k time under 31:30 lol!

Slowly I'm getting back into running faster. I signed up for a marathon relay team (I'm running 10k of it Sep 24), and since 6/15 I've run 50 miles (averaging around 15/week).
Best 5k time (pace) so far is 9:30 min/mile (which is a bit depressing, because once upon a time I ran 8 minute miles without warming up or training - of course I was 50 pounds lighter too).

The most encouraging thing I've noticed so far is on my last slow run (6.5 miles), I was able to breathe really easy & my HR was lower than when I was running earlier in the summer. And within 1 lap after stopping, I felt completely recovered & felt like I could run the whole thing again. I can't remember the last time I felt so good after a run. Hopefully it's a sign of improving health (& faster times!)

Got back to running this weekend while on vacation at the beach. Got in 3.5 two different times with an 8:40 pace. Legs felt it the second day but it felt good to get back to running.

Had a local race today where I did the half marathon and a 5k after. I pushed my daughter in the stroller for the 5k. So total was suppose to be 16.2 but I ended up running 16.47. So the course was longer than they said. Either way my total time for both races was 2:30 which is an avg of 9:08 miles. I was cruising at consistent 8:40-8:48 miles till mile 11.5 and my knee started to hurt. I went to bend it a little more and then I cramped up bad. The last 4 miles of the half had lots of hills and running downhill kills me.

Had a local race today where I did the half marathon and a 5k after. I pushed my daughter in the stroller for the 5k. So total was suppose to be 16.2 but I ended up running 16.47. So the course was longer than they said. Either way my total time for both races was 2:30 which is an avg of 9:08 miles. I was cruising at consistent 8:40-8:48 miles till mile 11.5 and my knee started to hurt. I went to bend it a little more and then I cramped up bad. The last 4 miles of the half had lots of hills and running downhill kills me.

9:08 is seriously impressive given the running stroller. Nice work and be proud man!

9:08 is seriously impressive given the running stroller. Nice work and be proud man!
Why thank you. Best part was that I was the last person to go across the start line in the 5K with her in the stroller and we slowly started picking them off one by one and were the first stroller to finish the race. I had a speaker going and my little girl was jamming out she loved it. She then ran the kids 400-meter Fun Run and of course I was at sappi dad and teared up behind my sunglasses. Here are some pics, she's the little one in pink.
7a18f4c2a5530ac25d3b3d3775f93edc.jpg
034db218c4655c1087c2a160d3b75db5.jpg
e8f359fe514fc6365e77002c8a1766c5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's incredible man, love it!

First run of 2018 in the books. 5k and very slow, but about what I expected since I haven't run since late September (6 mile leg of a marathon).

I decided to sign up for the half marathon this year. This way I actually get to cross a finish line in the middle of a stadium, and I don't have to wait around for an hour before I start.

Plus, my goal is to stay with my younger brother, who when we were in school never ran if he could avoid it, but now is running about as fast as I did at my best. Hoping I can get my pace time down to 8:00 min/mile (last year I did the 6 mile leg at 9:30 min/mi). It's a goal - I don't know how realistic it is. For sure it would help if I was 20 lb lighter!

As soon as the weather breaks I am going to start running again this year. Ran my first 5k about a year and a half a go and then just stopped running after. Really regretting that, because I know it will be hard to build back up again.

I'm feeling the itch to do another marathon. I've been running shorter distances and have picked up a good but of speed, I think I could drop some time off my first go.

I'm thinking about the Rock and Roll New Orleans Marathon in February.

Looks like I'm gonna be running the half marathon instead of the full in December in Dallas. Had initially signed up for the full, but I haven't put in the training to get me through the full so I'll transfer over to the half. Giving some thought to doing a run/walk (run 1 mile, walk 1/10th) style to see how it works out. Did it for a 3 mile run today and ran the last two <8 minutes.

Finished my half marathon just now. I was originally hoping to finish under 2 hours, or at least a 9:30 pace, but the past 4 weeks have been hard to fit in the mileage, between the bad weather & all the time coaching JV golf. So my new goal was to finish the half before the winner of the marathon came across.

Almost did it. Finished in 2:29:50, & the second place marathon finisher was about a minute behind me. And considering a stopped for about 3 minutes during the race (to refuel & to hit the john), I was pretty satisfied with that time. Especially since my right knee & hamstring started hurting at mile 10.

Here is what they handed out to the half-marathon finishers. Probably not the best choice of words:
JPrJDd7h.jpg
[/IMG]

That's right: another half-finished job done by me.

I wonder if I half finish next year, could I trade in my two half finished medals for a complete finish?

Here is what they handed out to the half-marathon finishers. Probably not the best choice of words:
JPrJDd7h.jpg
[/IMG]

I wonder if I half finish next year, could I trade in my two half finished medals for a complete finish?
You did it ! (Kinda)

Haha that is hilarious. But congrats on fully finishing your race.

Just got an email notification from the marathon organizers. My official time was actually 2:24:12 When I ran under the finish, that was showing the starting gun time, not the chip time. And the 1st place marathon finisher came across in 2:26:25, so I technically, I did finish before any of the marathoners.

But...my younger brother finished in 1:48.00. My ultimate goal was to beat him. The only way this is gonna happen is if I can lose the extra 25-30 lbs I'm carrying. Right now his pace is my current fastest 1 mile pace (8:15, which is what I typically ran 5-20k when I was in shape in my 20's).

I don't know if it's worth taking the pounding to train for this length of race at my age. I do enjoy running as a form of exercise. For me it's basically a form of meditation. I don't listen to music, carry a phone, etc. I find it peaceful & (mentally) relaxing.

Too funny. I hope my wife never sees those medals or I'm in trouble.
JPrJDd7h.jpg
[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back