Man that's not bad at all. The hills destroyed me in the one I did, and they were small hills, I'm just used to Florida flat.

Congrats on finishing your second, I've been told that's the toughest one to knock out because you've already done one so the excitement is gone and you know how much those last few miles suck, but you haven't learned to cope yet.

Running

Man that's not bad at all. The hills destroyed me in the one I did, and they were small hills, I'm just used to Florida flat.

Congrats on finishing your second, I've been told that's the toughest one to knock out because you've already done one so the excitement is gone and you know how much those last few miles suck, but you haven't learned to cope yet.

Thanks man.
I actually felt good until mile 15 or 16 then the cramps in my calves kicked in. I ran those last two miles fast because I had to finish under 4, but when I came around the corner in a sprint to the finish line I was like please don't lock up calves and have me fall flat on my face.

Almost beat my brother in law's relay team, but they got me on their last leg and beat my by 4 mins. Errr!!!!

Thanks man.
I actually felt good until mile 15 or 16 then the cramps in my calves kicked in. I ran those last two miles fast because I had to finish under 4, but when I came around the corner in a sprint to the finish line I was like please don't lock up calves and have me fall flat on my face.

Almost beat my brother in law's relay team, but they got me on their last leg and beat my by 4 mins. Errr!!!!
Well done! Those hills are sneaky. That's what killed me at the twin Cities marathon.

So I downloaded the Nike+ app and used it for the first time today and followed it's coaching recommendation in prep for my 5k. Today it said to just do a 20 minute run, so that's what I did.

But I am seriously questioning how accurate it is because I have never had times this good before. I will say the run felt super easy for some reason, maybe because I haven't run in a few weeks?

Can anyone speak to the accuracy of the app?

So I downloaded the Nike+ app and used it for the first time today and followed it's coaching recommendation in prep for my 5k. Today it said to just do a 20 minute run, so that's what I did.

But I am seriously questioning how accurate it is because I have never had times this good before. I will say the run felt super easy for some reason, maybe because I haven't run in a few weeks?

I've actually have the same questions with Map My Fitness. I used it for my marathon and all of my running the last year and during the marathon it had me hit 26.2 about a mile before the race ended.

Could be a multitude of factors playing in. Kind of makes me wonder if the same is with all of the apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've actually have the same questions with Map My Fitness. I used it for my marathon and all of my running the last year and during the marathon it had me hit 26.2 about a mile before the race ended.

Could be a multitude of factors playing in. Kind of makes me wonder if the same is with all of the apps.

I've found that the phone apps tend to be less accurate than dedicated GPS devices. Matt, what you saw during the race you'd typically see at any urban race. GPS signals bouncing off of buildings, as well as how it is impossible to run the shortest distance possible for the race (how it is measured) makes for a longer GPS distance. I've never seen it over a mile off on my GPS watch though.

I've found that the phone apps tend to be less accurate than dedicated GPS devices. Matt, what you saw during the race you'd typically see at any urban race. GPS signals bouncing off of buildings, as well as how it is impossible to run the shortest distance possible for the race (how it is measured) makes for a longer GPS distance. I've never seen it over a mile off on my GPS watch though.

Definitely why I will be getting a gps garmin forerunner.

Oh and I just signed up for another marathon on 10/9. Call me crazy!

First! You're crazy!!

I have a Garmin watch, I am charging ti up now to see if I can compare it to the Nike+. I just don't think I really ran that fast, it seems impossible.

Ran 3 miles this am in 30 minutes not pushed and had a nice warm up cool down included. Need to get back into this. We run a Turkey Trot for Thanksgiving and the loser gets a ton of trash talk for the whole year. I can't lose this year.

Less than 2 weeks until my marathon and piriformis and hamstring issues popped up. Managed to run 12 on Saturday and 8 last night but neither felt good. I'm going to take 4 or 5 days off. Lots of stretching, icing and rest. Next week will include several short runs to get the legs moving again. Really bummed this happen. My training exceeded expectations all summer. Still hoping to save a respectable time at the marathon. On the plus side, I'm going to the Ryder Cup on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Less than 2 weeks until my marathon and piriformis and hamstring issues popped up. Managed to run 12 on Saturday and 8 last night but neither felt good. I'm going to take 4 or 5 days off. Lots of stretching, icing and rest. Next week will include several short runs to get the legs moving again. Really bummed this happen. My training exceeded expectations all summer. Still hoping to save a respectable time at the marathon. On the plus side, I'm going to the Ryder Cup on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Man this sucks.

At this point the hay is in the barn so to speak. Get that hammie healed up!

Thanks. I talked to my coach last night and we used the same expression..."hay is in the barn". The body doesn't lose any fitness with 4 or 5 days of rest. Just need to keep my mind calm but I'm a marathon vet so that shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed you ran Twin Cities Marathon (TCM). Hope you liked it. This will be my 7th TCM. You definitely need to save some energy for the hills starting at mile 19.5. TCM provides good race statistics for each runner. Last time I passed 631 runners in the last 5 miles and was passed by 19. Hope to do something similar this year.

Thanks. I talked to my coach last night and we used the same expression..."hay is in the barn". The body doesn't lose any fitness with 4 or 5 days of rest. Just need to keep my mind calm but I'm a marathon vet so that shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed you ran Twin Cities Marathon (TCM). Hope you liked it. This will be my 7th TCM. You definitely need to save some energy for the hills starting at mile 19.5. TCM provides good race statistics for each runner. Last time I passed 631 runners in the last 5 miles and was passed by 19. Hope to do something similar this year.

Good luck!

Heading out for a small run myself today.

It's not perfect, but not far off. I've used it for 3 10k's and it always been less than 100 meters off. My fiance has used it for 5 half marathon's and it's always been within a couple hundred meters.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's not perfect, but not far off. I've used it for 3 10k's and it always been less than 100 meters off. My fiance has used it for 5 half marathon's and it's always been within a couple hundred meters.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well, that is super encouraging because it said I ran 8:58 splits which is crazy for me, I am normally closer to 11 minutes. Granted it was only for 20 minutes, but still that's a huge improvement, and the run just felt easy, the entire time I never felt gassed.

Well, that is super encouraging because it said I ran 8:58 splits which is crazy for me, I am normally closer to 11 minutes. Granted it was only for 20 minutes, but still that's a huge improvement, and the run just felt easy, the entire time I never felt gassed.

That is awesome!

That is awesome!

Thanks!

I ran at 1pm in the Florida heat, I am not sure what I was thinking, nor do I understand why it was easy. The only thing I can think of is that I haven't done any kind of times or distance run in almost 2 weeks, so my body was rested. I have done tons of sprints at the gym, but nothing timed or for distance outside like this.

I am running this 5k solo because my running friends are all doing the 10k, but I am just not there. So I really want to get better so next time I can run with the big kids haha.

Nice!!!

Do you have a training plan for the double? A few years ago I did Ironman Wisconsin in September, Chicago marathon in October (ran a PR), and New York marathon in November. NY was easier than expected. I used cycling and swimming to help my recovery between Chicago and New York. Water running is another training alternative. Studies say it takes a month to fully recover from a marathon.

Those runs are awesome. It feels so good when you are just free and run faster without trying.

I've used several apps and they all track the same, however they are only as accurate as your phone. My old phone and my new one were about 30 yards different on where they say a mile was from my house. My wife's and mine come up with slightly different numbers when we run together. It comes down to how often they send out a ping on how accurate they are.

I had the same experience in my marathon Matt I think it was part phone inaccuracies, and part running outside of the direct center of the road, stopping for water etc.

Nice!!!

Do you have a training plan for the double? A few years ago I did Ironman Wisconsin in September, Chicago marathon in October (ran a PR), and New York marathon in November. NY was easier than expected. I used cycling and swimming to help my recovery between Chicago and New York. Water running is another training alternative. Studies say it takes a month to fully recover from a marathon.

I actually have talking to a coach over the last few months. Is said I have been putting in enough miles over the last year to handle a double, but honestly my body would determine if I was ready. My recover has been drastically better than my marathon in April. Deciding factor will be how I handle this 10 mile run this weekend.

Just finished up with a 5k/22:54 and was pretty impressed. I imagined the first mile would have been rough, but not at all. Now to stretch, stretch, stretch.

So for this marathon I've been focusing on trying to run a negative split. What I've found in my training that forcing myself to run slower than 8:30/mile is difficult. Today I ran a 10 mile negative split where I dropped almost :45 seconds per mile and I was spent. Wasn't the brightest that when I started running I intended only going a short distance and had no water. Poor planning!

So for this marathon I've been focusing on trying to run a negative split. What I've found in my training that forcing myself to run slower than 8:30/mile is difficult. Today I ran a 10 mile negative split where I dropped almost :45 seconds per mile and I was spent. Wasn't the brightest that when I started running I intended only going a short distance and had no water. Poor planning!

Heart rate monitor is the best solution running negative splits...imo. I did a marathon a couple of weeks ago. 2nd half was 1 minute slower than 1st half. For the record, 2nd half included a pee break so it's pretty close to being a negative split. Running an easy pace at the start is critical and a HR monitor helps keep your effort in check. It's very, very, very easy to start too fast because you're fresh, in shape, and the crowd pulls you along.

Statistic from the race; I passed 347 people and was passed by 10 people between mile 21 and the finish line.

Definitely is something I've never thought of or tracked, HR that is. One of the main reasons I am pondering a ForeRunner35 as it provides HR.

Back