Buckjob

My Friend's Call Me Drew
Reaction score
Handicap
Well as some of you may now i am finally learning the proper way to hit a golf ball this off season after 15 years of self taught techniques i've had some tough times with parts of the swing getting things fixed from years and years of swinging the wrong way... During my last lesson we did quite a few things since my instructor is gonna be away for 2 weeks.... we changed my grip worked on getting my back swing straightened out ( which although is easy i have been struggling with) and making the first move of the downswing. A lot for me to think about during my swing. i have found that doing drill after drill has helped but its hard to incorporate all of these things and make the most of my training time. So at the end of my lesson my instructor brought out this training aid. The Power Angle Pro... it has a training grip to make sure you have a proper grip with 2 white V's painted on it to make sure your V's in between your thumb and pointer finger are aimed properly. As you make your shoulder turn there is an arrow on the one part of the shaft that is supposed to point down your target line to make sure you are coming back on a good plane. As you continue your shoulder turn and make your wrist hinge the bend in the shaft should rest on your upper arm. this happens when your left arm is fully extended and straight. you then can make the first move downward and keep the bend against your upper right arm to make sure you don't release the club to quickly. this also helps you get "in the slot".... after you "make contact" and release the club the one bend should be 90* to your target line and then as you finish your swing the shaft comes to rest on your back... I usually don't buy to many training aids like this. but i felt like this training aid has so many things i can work on with it it was worth the money. and something even after my swing change down the road i could use to get my swing back on track if it gets a little out of wack. I got it for $70 bucks and it included a dvd which is only like 3 minutes showing everything i just wrote out. i plan on using it during my down time at work and when i practice my drills for my lessons im taking. it seems to be helping me get a lot of different things down and making the most of my practice time. i have been spending a ton of my time working on drills its been difficult to get some things fixed and im hoping this helps me get most of my swing down and drilled into my thick head. Give you guys some more feedback after i get some more use out of this during the next few weeks.... Here are some pics i took...

IMG_0787.jpg

THE TRAINING GRIP
IMG_0788-1.jpg

ARROW TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON PLANE DURING YOUR TAKEAWAY
IMG_0789.jpg

AT ADDRESS
IMG_0791.jpg

TRAINING SHEET CAME WITH THE DVD
IMG_0795.jpg

I actually found the DVD on youtube heres the link
[video=youtube;3mL-IDu679s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mL-IDu679s[/video]

Looks interesting bj, let us know in a week or two what you think, I really may be interested in this trying this one too.

Looks interesting, thanks for sharing.

That looks interesting, please share your thoughts on this as you start to "get into it".

That thing looks like someone wrapped it around a tree.

is this thing heavy?

is this thing heavy?

no its made of aluminum its pretty light. Ive been using it during commercials today while watching football. the real test will be on wednesday when i get back to golftec to see if all these drills im doing are finally starting to take hold. I'll have a full write up after then sometime.

That seems rather complicated. Plus, it violates my one rule of training aids - they have to be able to fit easily in the golf bag. Still, it might be useful for a number of swing faults. Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Really been using this a lot the last few days. I think its got my back swing down and me getting in the slot on the down swing. i dunno how my grips gonna be when i grab a normal grip (havn't had a chance to get to the range) but my golftec lesson should show if this has helped my swing, Looking forward to seeing some video and hearing what my instructor has to say. but i think its been helpful i figure if i do enough reps with this ill get this swing change down yet. have a write up tomorrow after my lesson letting you know if its helped me or not.

Just got back from my Lesson and watching my swing after using this for the past few days. And i have to say im pretty impressed with the results. I was a lot better with my back swing and my grip and i was getting down into the slot better than before. I was going back to my over the top downswing and still going a little to far in my backswing when i started my normal swing speeds (i swing my 5 iron 115-120 mph) in the video. BUT if i took a slower swing i was seeing much better results. after talking with my instructor he said quicker speeds hide flaws and i should keep doing my drills slower and as many times as i can and i will see better results. With me doing the wrong swing for 15 years i wasn't expecting a perfect swing after 5 days of swinging this aid. I was happy with how my swing progressed this week and we sharpened some stuff today and ill continue to use this this week and a couple other drills to help me stay on plane and make the right wrist hinge and pivot. But all in all i am impressed with the results so far and with the amount of times i'm going to have to use this to instill the proper swing into my head after doing it so long the wrong way i def think ill get my moneys worth out of this. Just wish i would have found it for half price like Dawgdaddy did! lol

Just got back from my Lesson and watching my swing after using this for the past few days. And i have to say im pretty impressed with the results. I was a lot better with my back swing and my grip and i was getting down into the slot better than before. I was going back to my over the top downswing and still going a little to far in my backswing when i started my normal swing speeds (i swing my 5 iron 115-120 mph) in the video. BUT if i took a slower swing i was seeing much better results. after talking with my instructor he said quicker speeds hide flaws and i should keep doing my drills slower and as many times as i can and i will see better results. With me doing the wrong swing for 15 years i wasn't expecting a perfect swing after 5 days of swinging this aid. I was happy with how my swing progressed this week and we sharpened some stuff today and ill continue to use this this week and a couple other drills to help me stay on plane and make the right wrist hinge and pivot. But all in all i am impressed with the results so far and with the amount of times i'm going to have to use this to instill the proper swing into my head after doing it so long the wrong way i def think ill get my moneys worth out of this. Just wish i would have found it for half price like Dawgdaddy did! lol

Thanks for the review buddy, based on your observations, and the observations of your instructor, I just ordered one myself. Of course, I ordered the one for half price :D

Ah, for f sake! He doesn´t ship international - I was so going to buy this thing!!

Bummer, did you email him for with a special request?

Yeah, I just did. Hopefully he´ll show some compassion for a struggling hacker like me:act-up:

Interesting read Buck. I'll def keep a close eye on your progress sounds like you'll find your groove.

yeah like i said i didn't expect to use this thing for 4 days and get rid of 15 years of bad habits but its def getting a lot better and this really helps with a lot of the parts of the swing that i have been struggling with to fix. hoping to move forward with my swing change next week after another week of reps with this. i've been using it during commercials while i watch tv. Instructor said to do my drills a little slower to instill the proper form more. so i plan on doing the drill slower this week.

Buckjob, you say you struggle with an over the top downswing? ie. slicing the ball? If so, I have the same problem and may look into one of these since you say you had some success with it.

Buckjob, you say you struggle with an over the top downswing? ie. slicing the ball? If so, I have the same problem and may look into one of these since you say you had some success with it.

yeah i don't have a terrible slice more of a constant fade but i come over the top and compensate im just trying to get a solid proper swing. my backswing is way to long and i have to over compensate and come over the top. i still have had some problems when i swing my normal club with going to far in my backswing but its getting better and my transition getting into the slot has been better. next lesson is thursday see if its helping more after seeing the swing on video.

My Power Angle Pro arrived Monday so that was 12 days from the time of my winning a bid on ebay until it arrived, not bad except for the fact that they did not ship until the 12th, what did they do for the 5 days between the order and shipping date? It is not a big deal but that seemed like a little too much time lag in getting the product in the mail. Having said all of that I am pretty happy with the PAP, I used the instruction sheet and did the moves in slow motion for about 20 reps and then headed to the course for a session on the range. The first 30 balls I hit were very, very nice. I then tried to hit balls without rehearsing the swing per the instructions that came with the PAP and the shots got looser and less accurate. When I returned to the slow motion practice swing the shots were again of a higher quality.

If this initial session is indicitative of how using the PAP will effect the quality of my ball striking and accuracy this training aid is a winner. It is much too early to come to any kind of conclusion from one range session, but I intend to make at least 20 to 50 slow motion swings with it daily for the next week and see if this transfers to the golf course. Hopefully it will.

Last edited:
My Power Angle Pro arrived Monday so that was 12 days from the time of my winning a bid on ebay until it arrived, not bad except for the fact that they did not ship until the 12th, what did they do for the 5 days between the order and shipping date? It is not a big deal but that seemed like a little too much time lag in getting the product in the mail. Having said all of that I am pretty happy with the PAP, I used the instruction sheet and did the moves in slow motion for about 20 reps and then headed to the course for a session on the range. The first 30 balls I hit were very, very nice. I then tried to hit balls without rehearsing the swing per the instructions that came with the PAP and the shots got looser and less accurate. When I returned to the slow motion practice swing the shots were again of a higher quality.

If this initial session is indicitative of how using the PAP will effect the quality of my ball striking and accuracy this training aid is a winner. It is much too early to come to any kind of conclusion from one range session, but I intend to make at least 20 to 50 slow motion swings with it for the next week and see if this transfers to the golf course. Hopefully it will.

really great to hear DD.... i was just practicing with mine my swing is starting to get better its just so difficult to change a swing that was so wrong for so long. but i have seen a lot better results watching video from my golftec lessons. and we started the transition into the downswing last lesson and my instructor was impressed with my move so hopefully that is a little easier for me from using the PAP. I def think this is helping me a lot make sure my wrist hinge is correct and my backswing is on plane. i just need to make sure im turning more with my shoulders on plane a little more. I think if you have the basic swing concept down like you seem to DD this could def help keep it on track or get it back on track if your game was a little off. I just need to make repetitive swings to instill it into my head and this is making sure im making the proper swing every time.

Hey Buck,
Good to hear that your swing is coming around. From the video that was posted and from your comment on the wrist hinge it seems that the wrist hinge to be paramount to a swing with power released at the proper moment. Muscle memory and timing . I've got an eye on this thread to see how well this aid works for you. Good Luck with your hard work changing your swing.

Hey Buck,
Good to hear that your swing is coming around. From the video that was posted and from your comment on the wrist hinge it seems that the wrist hinge to be paramount to a swing with power released at the propermoment. Muscle memory and timing . I've got an eye on this thread to see how well this aid works for you. Good Luck with your hard work changing your swing.

Thanks man i really have been trying to drill this swing into my head for a while and im finally getting it down its nice to finally see some results on video from my lessons the P.A.P. has really helped me im now using this for some reps and then using my 6 iron trying to get the feel down and make sure im doing it properly in front of a mirror. really helping me should start the downswing more this week we kinda started last week but had to clean up a few minor things before we moved on. as for the power released at the proper moment i watched my videos and was watching some video of tigers swing and im amazed at how long he keeps his hinge in the downswing something i have worked on with the reps ive been doing you can make sure you're keeping your hinge in your down swing. dunno how its gonna translate in a regular swing of the club yet but i guess ill find out soon enough.

Back