Planning golf trip to Scottsdale

I have not played the area in 20+ but a key question I'd ask is what courses don't have houses crowding them. Nothing worse for a 18 handi then seeing a narrow fairway and multimillion dollar houses on both sides where desert should be.

Wekopa, Wickenburg, Southern Dunes, Talking Stick, Quintero, Aguila, Papago, Raven, Verrado Founders, and some others.

Wekopa, Wickenburg, Southern Dunes, Talking Stick, Quintero, Aguila, Papago, Raven, Verrado Founders, and some others.
Houses crowding Talking Stick????

I’m mean it’s correct to steer him away from that course. But houses are not the reason.

View attachment 9053829
Riggs from Barstool Sports does a review of courses in the Scottsdale area. Check them out on the Fore Play YouTube channel. Here is a screenshot of the first page of his rankings leaderboard.

This looks like rating for specific holes only. Also, ANYONE who puts Cave Creek, Dove Valley Mccormick Ranch or Biltmore towards the top in any ranking should not be listened to.

Also - ranking #13 on Saguaro as the best hole is beyond questionable. That is not even the best hole on the back 9! So many of these are really out there in terms of ratings...17 at Ambiente is a terrible hole. I can't with this list! :sick:

Houses crowding Talking Stick????

I’m mean it’s correct to steer him away from that course. But houses are not the reason.

If you read and comprehend the question, he is asking for courses that DO NOT have houses lining the fairways.

This looks like rating for specific holes only. Also, ANYONE who puts Cave Creek, Dove Valley Mccormick Ranch or Biltmore towards the top in any ranking should not be listened to.

Also - ranking #13 on Saguaro as the best hole is beyond questionable. That is not even the best hole on the back 9! So many of these are really out there in terms of ratings...17 at Ambiente is a terrible hole. I can't with this list! :sick:
You’re first paragraph needs to be understood by the masses. 💯 on point.

I don’t have enough experience to comment on second.

Me too....AZ Wilderness just launched their Pecan Brittle Ale, and the Dauble Pecan Pie Ale and the Macaroon stout. I have just finished my 4 crowler!
Spellbinder from WrenHouse. My elixir of life.

I guess in the end. For public courses only. Not in any order

Best of the best courses:
Wekopa Saguaro $$
Troon North Pinnacle $$$
Quintero $$$ - It is the only course listed on Golf Digest list. Great for visitors
Ak Chin Southern Dunes $$

Next Tier:
Wekopa Cholla $$
Troon North Monument $$$
Camelback Ambiente $$$
Grayhawk Talon and Raptor $$$ - I can't remember them but they rank highly with others
Verrado Founders $$
Sterling Grove $$ - Just opened and pretty good course

High Cappers rejoice: No homes on course and generally fun layout
Wekopa - Hard
Quintero - Hard
Southern Dunes - Lots of bunkers
Whirlwind $$($) - Med
Raven $($) - Easier
Legacy $($)- Easier
Wickenburg Ranch $$- Hard and far
Papago $($)- Med can play long if you are a bonehead. Most popular muni due to the ASU girls.
GCU $($)- Easier
Aguilla $($)- Med
Talking Stick $$- Easier
Verrado courses $($) - Hard (some blind shots on both courses but more on Victory) Homes around but not too much in play

Closet to airport:
Legacy
Raven
Papago (known for slow rounds)

2fer's:
Wekopa
Whirlwind
Troon North
TPC
Camelback
Grayhawk
Verrado
Wigwam I guess

Avoid:
Kierland, Biltmore, AZ Grand, Foothills, Ahwatukee CC

Pods:
West Side:
Verrado 2x, Sterling Grove, Estrella
East Valley: Whirlwind 2x, Southern Dunes
Airport Corridor: Legacy, Raven, Papago, GCU, Aguilla, Christies $$$$
North Scottsdale: Troon North 2x, Boulders 2x, Verde River, Legend Trail $$
Scottsdale civilization: Talking Stick 2x, TPC 2x, Grayhawk 2x, Camelback 2x
Have a full tank of gas: Wickenburg Ranch, Los Caballeros, Quintero, Anthem x2, Posten Butte

sorry if its been mentioned but does We-Ko-Pa have 2 courses? and which one is better?

I guess in the end. For public courses only. Not in any order

Best of the best courses:
Wekopa Saguaro $$
Troon North Pinnacle $$$
Quintero $$$ - It is the only course listed on Golf Digest list. Great for visitors
Ak Chin Southern Dunes $$

Next Tier:
Wekopa Cholla $$
Troon North Monument $$$
Camelback Ambiente $$$
Grayhawk Talon and Raptor $$$ - I can't remember them but they rank highly with others
Verrado Founders $$
Sterling Grove $$ - Just opened and pretty good course

High Cappers rejoice: No homes on course and generally fun layout
Wekopa - Hard
Quintero - Hard
Southern Dunes - Lots of bunkers
Whirlwind $$($) - Med
Raven $($) - Easier
Legacy $($)- Easier
Wickenburg Ranch $$- Hard and far
Papago $($)- Med can play long if you are a bonehead. Most popular muni due to the ASU girls.
GCU $($)- Easier
Aguilla $($)- Med
Talking Stick $$- Easier
Verrado courses $($) - Hard (some blind shots on both courses but more on Victory) Homes around but not too much in play

Closet to airport:
Legacy
Raven
Papago (known for slow rounds)

2fer's:
Wekopa
Whirlwind
Troon North
TPC
Camelback
Grayhawk
Verrado
Wigwam I guess

Avoid:
Kierland, Biltmore, AZ Grand, Foothills, Ahwatukee CC

Pods:
West Side:
Verrado 2x, Sterling Grove, Estrella
East Valley: Whirlwind 2x, Southern Dunes
Airport Corridor: Legacy, Raven, Papago, GCU, Aguilla, Christies $$$$
North Scottsdale: Troon North 2x, Boulders 2x, Verde River, Legend Trail $$
Scottsdale civilization: Talking Stick 2x, TPC 2x, Grayhawk 2x, Camelback 2x
Have a full tank of gas: Wickenburg Ranch, Los Caballeros, Quintero, Anthem x2, Posten Butte
Huge thank you to @echico and the rest of the AZTHP guys for these recommendations!! Got the chance to play Longbow, Southern Dunes, and McDowell Mountain last week while I was in Mesa visiting family. Awesome tracks!! HIGHLY recommend Southern Dunes! Will definitely be happy to play all 3 again in the future. @jfrigo1003 is going to have a great time!!

For the locals:

Are there any current restrictions in Arizona or Maricopa County at the moment? I know alot can change from now to April....here in Cook County, IL indoor dining, bars, gyms, etc are requiring proof of full vaccination or else no entrance

For the locals:

Are there any current restrictions in Arizona or Maricopa County at the moment? I know alot can change from now to April....here in Cook County, IL indoor dining, bars, gyms, etc are requiring proof of full vaccination or else no entrance
Nope. None whatsoever.

sorry if its been mentioned but does We-Ko-Pa have 2 courses? and which one is better?
I was out there recently and played both Cholla and Saguaro. I thought Saguaro was better but not dramatically so. Cholla was great as well. I also played Troon Pinnaccle and liked both the We Ko Pa courses better than that. Lot's of great golf in the area, it's hard to go wrong.

For my golf game Pinnacle is more open off the tee. There is some target golf on Monument that I don't like. If you are playing up a tee box or two for the 18 cappers then the driver is not really needed on Pinnacle.
I've played both many times and agree that Pinnacle is a better option. Of course it's always subjective. I found the Monument back-9 to be in need of a redesign - and it tends to create a bit of a backlog with its uphill holes and that LONG par 3 down the hill.

if you don't mind a drive, Quintero is a good track. That property could be world class if they would just finally build a clubhouse and the originally planned 2nd course.

Just seeing this thread. Not sure if you have planned it all out yet, but I REALLY enjoyed Ak-Chin Southern Dunes. Course was a blast and really affordable from what I recall.

if you don't mind a drive, Quintero is a good track. That property could be world class if they would just finally build a clubhouse and the originally planned 2nd course.
World class? No. 3 of the par 3s are exact copy of each other. It also has the dumbest par 5 ever created. It is great for your 1st or 2nd play but after that it loses it charm quickly.

World class? No. 3 of the par 3s are exact copy of each other. It also has the dumbest par 5 ever created. It is great for your 1st or 2nd play but after that it loses it charm quickly.
With a clubhouse and the Greg Norman course added - it could be world class. Give me $50 million and I'll get it all sorted. The Norman course design looked very good - just never got built. Would have been the best of the 2 courses. Anyway, it's a long drive to play there and if it doesn't ring your bell, then no point making that sacrifice. Plenty of good courses closer to Scottsdale itself. Arizona sure has a lot of great golf - just a shame it has a few months where the weather is not ideal.

Last edited:
ok a year later but now all booked to play! I'll be there 1 day before the wife and son get in so hoping to play 36 on Saturday April 1st if anyone is interested. Also if anyone wants to play in the Swag Series event Monday April 3rd at We-Ko-Pa please let me know. Need to enter as a 2 man team

also looking to book either Troon North or TPC champions course Saturday April 1st but it wont let me as a single so anyone interested let me know

also looking to book either Troon North or TPC champions course Saturday April 1st but it wont let me as a single so anyone interested let me know
I called for my tee times as a single no issues here. Raptor Wednesday, WeKoPa Thursday and Saturday, 90 days in advance for those 3. I'll play 2 of the 9's at Kierland on Friday, but have to wait until 30 days out.
You are welcome to play Cholla on that Saturday with me @ 7:50 am if you like

Back