Planning golf trip to Scottsdale

since I am planning on being out there in September...I need a report....what did you think of them? Which ones have, ah..."generous fairways, no houses"?

Not saying I can spray the ball or get a bit wild....just saying those tend to be my favorite types of courses :cool:

You want both We-Ko-Pa courses then for sure.

since I am planning on being out there in September...I need a report....what did you think of them? Which ones have, ah..."generous fairways, no houses"?

Not saying I can spray the ball or get a bit wild....just saying those tend to be my favorite types of courses :cool:

Oh, I think you’d want We-Ko-Pa, for sure. It’s out in the middle of darn nowhere. On a reservation. Fun layout. Lots of fairway action. Just a really cool course.

Both Grayhawk courses were incredible as well.

Oh, I think you’d want We-Ko-Pa, for sure. It’s out in the middle of darn nowhere. On a reservation. Fun layout. Lots of fairway action. Just a really cool course.

Both Grayhawk courses were incredible as well.

current "likely to play" have We-Ko-Pa Saguaro, Gold Canyon (Dinosaur Mountain), Quintero and Eagle Mountain...maybe the Phoenician. Have gone back and forth on Grayhawk.

Grayhawk Raptor looked like a Fazio target golf and Talon they state "requires precision off the tee". Of course, the claims ads make and reality not always the same...was your experience different?

Same with Cholla at We Ko Pah

I like golf but would not claim to be good at it. I tend to favor courses where the holes have differentiation (Papago looks like the same hole many times), is NOT target, with the option to miss and still have a play, even if it is punch out-y, and I dislike house lined. Passing the point where I care all that much about "challenging myself'...I do that in racquetball, so golf I just want to swing hard, find ball, rinse and repeat lol

current "likely to play" have We-Ko-Pa Saguaro, Gold Canyon (Dinosaur Mountain), Quintero and Eagle Mountain...maybe the Phoenician. Have gone back and forth on Grayhawk.

Grayhawk Raptor looked like a Fazio target golf and Talon they state "requires precision off the tee". Of course, the claims ads make and reality not always the same...was your experience different?

Same with Cholla at We Ko Pah

I like golf but would not claim to be good at it. I tend to favor courses where the holes have differentiation (Papago looks like the same hole many times), is NOT target, with the option to miss and still have a play, even if it is punch out-y, and I dislike house lined. Passing the point where I care all that much about "challenging myself'...I do that in racquetball, so golf I just want to swing hard, find ball, rinse and repeat lol

Gold Canyon is in totally rotten shape and will not recover by Sep. - you need to avoid. Phoenician is not a good choice at all.

You should consider play at Wekopa (no h); Southern Dunes, Quintero, Eagle Mountain; other great choices would be Longbow, Legend Trail, Verrado, Sterling Grove

the trip is off to a slow start...work got in the way. Snuck out this afternoon for a quick 18 at McDowell Mountain Club. Being a smart man* I teed off when it was 106...and just after I finished it dropped all the way to 105 so I prudently picked the hottest part of the day...

I can see people really liking this course. I played the Gold-White combo for 6294...ball carries well here so I could have gone black but....why. Life has kept me from picking up a club for a week so might as well go a little easy on myself.

First hole was funny...I did not know about the ravine about 285 out...if I had would not have taken driver. As it turned out...I cleared it and just missed about an 8' birdie putt..as the round proceeded I noted two things about McDowell.

1) course knowledge matters. Like...a lot. So many times I would hit the ball pretty close to where I wanted it...only to find it nowhere near where I hit it. Unseen hilloocks and slopes redirected it both in fairway and on green.

2) the hoes are either repetitive...or target golf. Take hole 5 as one example...it is a hard dogleg to a blind green so a 6i (which I..humble brag...launched 213 yards in front of a foursome that had me play through...I had been deliberately hanging way back and they were super cool and waved me through) off the tee was the correct play...Hole 9 was similar. 7i off the tee (and again...ball carries out here...I am not trying to hit 192 7i...but I did that and worse later)

So very much target golf. And even on the grip it and rip it driver holes...miss the fairway and you are likely in the desert and not super likely to find your ball. Someone was leaving balls all over the place...I kept finding them just off fairway and wondering how they did not find them. Whoever came behind me likely had a field day picking up adult easter eggs.

Hole 17 is likely the signature...a par 3 over water. They had the boxes back so I grabbed a 7i...and almost put it over back of green, 201 yards...my 7i average for the day was a stupid 196. About 15 longer than I want.

Upshot is...the course has some charm. I think the tightness and one too many target holes would keep me from playing it all that often but as a quick get out and play a reasonably priced round, you can do a lot worse. For a 60ish dollar course, it is as good as you can expect, staff super friendly, practice facilities very nice...

Some brown spots...but....it has been north of 100 for as long as I have been checking, supposed to hit 112...so I don't in the least think that should affect anyone's decision to play it.

Hoping to play Saguaro Saturday if anyone wants to hop out.

* your definition of smart and mine may vary. More likely to do so after reading the rest

Played Legend Trail today.

The course on its own merits:
the practice facility is top notch with a great chipping green that lets you practice sand shots, long chips, uphill chips and down.
the putting green is good size and has both holes with subtle break and also some with very large, obvious break. very good putting green.
course itself in great shape, greens in good shape and rolled true.

Also, the random pair I was matched up with...they ah....scuffled lets say. I would say at least one lost ball averaged per hole and likely more. With that said on hole #3 the Dad sliced, we assumed lost ball but he came up short of the junk> Hit a blind shot to the green, hops in his cart, I am watching...as it rolls in for the eagle. Pretty cool moment for them

Now, my thoughts on the course: Hole one set the tone. It is really tight and if you miss the fairway it is likely ob. They actually have a rule on the scorecard to drop with one stroke penalty...

One drive that looked down middle but somehow ended up in desert. Ball that lands about pin high that somehow ends up down hill behind green in desert...that one I will take responsibility for.

I did not like this course. As in...at all. Tight fairways, a lot of gimmick holes... (hey, here is a par 5...why don't you tee off with maybe a 6i because otherwise it is in the junk unless you can carry 310 reliably...okay, next hole. Same #$%^ hole and it sucked)

The par 3s had a couple fun ones but...this course is a lot that I do not personally enjoy about golf. Tight fairways, anything missing the fairway is likely lost...and it can look like you are dead center fairway and you will never find it. Forced layups off the tee on what felt like every par 5 and most par 4s. A lot...a LOT of target golf.

Now, in fairness...if you like tight fairways, target golf, gimmick holes...this course is for you. Some people do and more power to them.

I had signed up for a $72 tee time. they charged me 99. I was going to go back after the round when I noticed and get the difference back. I found the round round so unenjoyable that I just wanted out of there. Sad face goes here.

Overall, for me this course is one I would not play again but clearly that is not true of everyone...very nice gentleman I was speaking with before the round plays there every week so you may like it. It just did not fit what I enjoy about golf.

anyone bored and looking for something to do, i signed up for the Boulders South at 12:30 tomorrow...I was first into the slot so there are three available.

Boulders South

What do I say about this course? First off, they REALLY, REALLY want you to know that if you are not a member, this place over here is for members...these rooms are for members...this parking lot is for members...this building....is for members....that course over there....is for members....

lol the level of "You are a member or you don't matter" expressed by the signs is impressive.

That said the staff was very cool. The marshal looked at it, suggested I go nearly hour before my tee time to get in front of a threesome and 2 foursomes. I chose not to as I need to warm up.

For the modest hitter, the warmup area is fantastic. Great chipping area, a really cool expansive putting green with a boulder in the middle of it...the range itself has threeish target flags...unfortunately, they also have a sign "Nothing longer than 240 to protect the members at the far end"...so no 3w, no driver and after I crushed a 3h, no 3h on the range...that would come back to haunt me.

The course is scenically gorgeous. As I joked to the guy I was matched up with, "I am not a Star Trek guy but I feel like there was an episode based on this course..." (Galaxy Quest did boulder people, so I may have gotten the joke wrong...not sure)

Speaking of the guy I was matched up with...he likes to play "one up" which meant Blue which meant 6742 yards and a 142 slope...it felt like it. Driver averaged 271 for the day...and the old tee it forward says 6700 for 275 drive...so right at the edge of where I should have been playing. If I were matched up with someone playing one tee box forward...the score likely drops 2-3 strokes but honestly? The blue tee boxes had so many cooler locations I am glad we did.

There are several target holes...like hole one, no driver if 260 is in range for you. A lot of "hit to this point, either laying up safely and leaving a 200+ yard shot or trying to carry it and risk desert loss"...but they felt fair. As in legit risk/reward, not the forced "yeah, you have an option, but only an idiot does A, really your option is B, B, or B"...

Well, I mentioned earlier no driver on range would hurt me...knowing over 260 risked being a desert ball, I put away the driver, grabbed my 4i. Then marshal said something, it got in my head (my fault not his) so I switched to the 3h...and immediately put it ob. #$% Coulda done that with driver! lol

Some tight holes but not ridiculously so. A great back to back par 3 on the back with VERY different feels...

and the scenery. The boulders it weaves in and out of, uses as a backdrop, and that sometimes come in to play...very well done.

I did not play well at all, but man...I really enjoyed this course. It felt like the number on the scorecard was because my swing was not on today, not because "It doesn't matter what your swing is,, you are not scoring here" (Legends, looking at you).

I would recommend this course if you like rugged scenery, find expansive views, a variety of holes and a good time.

Tomorrow looks like Eagle Mountain. For a change I am going early morning so looking forward to that.

Oh, one last thing about Boulders...bring your checkbook. 2 waters and a Mountain Dew...I think it was 23 bucks. Before tip.

Ouch.

Last edited:
Oh, one last thing about Boulders...bring your checkbook. 2 waters and a Mountain Dew...I think it was 23 bucks. Before tip.

Ouch.

My league played there a couple summers ago. One of the guys made a hole in one. Let's just say the hole in one pot/insurance didn't cover his 19th hole bill.

Eagle Mountain was a pretty fun track.

First off, if you are a "soak in the views" golfer...this track is for you. Some of the holes can be narrow but if you generally have a one-way miss (I do not...) there can be issues. The greens feel like they are all guarded by sand but there is generally a bail out area.

In a way, this reminded me of Tetherow in Bend, OR...lot of times you stand on the tee looking at desert shrubbery everywhere but there is always a play or three available...IF you can avoid said shrubbery.

I was matched up with a couple older gentlemen. Very cool guys...one is at an age and level where his driver is like maybe 150. We were playing 5920, definitely too long for him...we played in 3:43. Most of that was waiting on the group ahead of us. More than once we would play an entire hole before the group in front even teed off. As one of the guys laughed after we waited for them to leave the green on a par 4, "We played a par 4 entirely AFTER they left the green and are still waiting for them to tee off."

In other words...these guys couldn't hit it very far, I think they each had one par (on the same par 3 where I inexplicably 3-putted from about 25'worse, it was the hole immediately following a 45' double breaker I rolled in to save par). But they play fast, they have their routine and where they drop each other off...they were a pleasure to play with.

For the course itself, a couple notes. First, this course would be greatly enhanced by the use of combo tees. The tips are 6800. The next box up 6249...now, I wanted to play the 6249 of those two and would loved to have seen a combo at 6400 or 6500. But that is a minor quibble and, as it turns out, irrelevant. I try to play the box the people I am matched with are playing so I played from 5900.

The reason I mention that is the white tee boxes are in front of a couple scrub areas. Sometimes you miss out on that tee shot and you also miss a couple elevated boxes I would really have enjoyed playing. But that is a minor quibble. The track itself is great fun, some very cool, memorable holes and I would replay it in a heart beat.

The other thing...the starter was a very cool guy but some of the advice he played...well...I had a down day with the driver. Over the last 20 rounds I have averaged 270...today was 260. In fact, 4 of the 7 clubs I used (not including chips and putts) were anywhere from 5 to 18 yards shorter than my clubs over the last 20...

With that said, the lines he gave me were not correct for someone of my length. On one in particular he said to aim at thus and such a radio tower. I hit a beautiful draw...which only the wall kept from being in someone's yard and left me a desert shot that scarred my club. For the shorter hitters it was 100% the correct line...for me, I chould have been aimed 40 yards right of it. The two guys I was with gave me a couple of lines for their game that did not work for mine as well..

Overall, I really enjoyed Eagle Mountain. Decent driving range, excellent chipping and putting, the staff was very friendly and cool...give it a chance.

Tomorrow is TPC Champions...this feels like a decision I may regret.

TPC Champions is the most "desert golf" feeling course I have played on this trip. You can still lose a ball if you are exceptionally squirrely off the tee...but for the most part you can swing away and know you will find it. Might be a fairway away or two...might be in the desert...might not have a good shot...but you can find it and play it.

Couple of really fun holes on this track. There are multiple ways to play some of them....split fairways, with risk/reward to go the short route type of thing...I like that. Couple target golf holes which are not a bad thing in isolation...it is courses that every...stinking...hole...is "hit this shot or else" that suck. This one, they fit with the flow and feel of the course.

Hilariously, there was a thunder and lightning storm last night so a couple of the normally dry washes were water hazard....

The guys I was matched up with wanted to play blue which was 6653...definitely a bit long for the two guys I was matched up with but it did not cause them any pace issues. The biggest issue was on 13, a par 3, (think I have the hole number right) there was a group on the green and these guys were still chatting up the cart girl. They called us up, I was thinking they were going to have us play through...but they wanted to buy us a round of drinks. Apparently the group ahead had done that for them.

Well, that slowed it down and then a hole, maybe two later was one of the risk/reward...long way around gave lots of fairway, short way turned it into a 265 yard driveable but bunker short right. I waited and overdrove the green...and we waited a hole or two after but despite being probably 2 boxes deep for these guys, we had zero issue keeping pace and even with the waits finished in 3:48.

Staff is cool, the driving range decent, the chipping green you have to ask to find but once you do it is decent to above average.

Overall, I think I paid 90 bucks...well worth it. I think they are reworking a couple holes so the layout may change I know they have changed the driving range location a bit.

Overall, I would play this again for the right price.

Back